Speculation: Roster building thread XLIX ”U Can’t Always get what U Want”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
BringBackLibertys said:
We are still rebuilding, its to early to make a big splash, we are not in our window. We will most likely (I would say 80% to 90%) will NOT make the playoffs this year. We can buy him out next year. All of this will be moot when Panarin goes to FLA, because there is NO ONE else we should be signing if he does not come here.

Not all splashes are via UFA.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Is a Kreider and Shat @50, Buch, Lindgren for Nylander possible? under the assumption we sign Panarin

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Kravtsov Nylander Chytil
Lemiuex Howden Lias/Strome

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is a Kreider and Shat @50, Buch, Lindgren for Nylander possible? under the assumption we sign Panarin

Panarin Zibs Kakko
Kravtsov Nylander Chytil
Lemiuex Howden Lias/Strome

No.

Trouba+Panarin+Nylander is about 25-26 million in.

They have 17 million ish in space before anything happens (running off of the rumored 81.5 figure)

Not to mention Kreder+Shat at 50+Buchnevich (once signed) would not give the leafs any cap relief at all.

Reactions: Trxjw and jas

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
FB2FCAAF-C1E1-4721-88AF-CC86B2B91BA7.gif
The temperature is rising...

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
For those who want to do a buyout... check this out

Jared Sexton@jaredjsexton

The cap hits of Shattenkirk and Smith combine to $11M. If they are both bought out, the cap hit in 20-21 would be a combined $9,229,166. So if the plan is to buy them out to free up cap space this summer, there needs to be an additional plan to clear just as much next summer.
8:22 PM - Jun 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Jared Sexton's other Tweets

Enough with the buyout talk. Much easier to trade vesey, named, and shatty at 50%

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure Shattenkirk is going to come into this season motivated and in better shape. He took a shortened contract, if he doesn't turn things around it could be his last one in the NHL. You're looking at 15-20 million dollars before taxes in career earnings down the tubes for taking 4 years over 7. This is why players usually don't take 'discount' deals.

If Shattenkirk regains his form and becomes a 50-55 point dman again, on his 32nd birthday he could conceivably be looking at another 3-4 years at around 5 million from somebody. Otherwise he'll be in the KHL making 750k a year.

If he has no trade value, even with retention, I see no reason why we shouldn't at least give him a chance to prove himself before writing him as a 6 million dollar 8th defenseman for the next 2 years. His eye isn't destroyed like Staal's, and he wasn't given a 2nd pairing contract as a career 6-7 like Smith was.

Fox, DeAngelo, and Shattenkirk will share PP time. Our three PP blueliners. Skjei, Trouba, and Staal will be the PK only guys. Fox should be able to learn how to play the PK to some level of ability, but for me that's the biggest concern with the three of them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For those who want to do a buyout... check this out

Jared Sexton@jaredjsexton

The cap hits of Shattenkirk and Smith combine to $11M. If they are both bought out, the cap hit in 20-21 would be a combined $9,229,166. So if the plan is to buy them out to free up cap space this summer, there needs to be an additional plan to clear just as much next summer.
8:22 PM - Jun 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Jared Sexton's other Tweets

Enough with the buyout talk. Much easier to trade vesey, named, and shatty at 50%

Not many people would consider buying out both of them.

Also, not easier to trade Shatty @ 50% according to reports.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
That’s pretty awful for us and Nylander has already proven he can’t play C. I personally have 0 interest unless he comes Trouba-cheap.
Agree. I don't really understand the Nylander love.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

I know the Flyers have cap space so the Braun and Niskanen deals with Gudas retention is an exception but is Gorton retaining 50% in a possible trade? I could see him trying to retain less than 50% and grinding out the trade process. Shattenkirk definitely has value still.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

I find it hard to believe that about shatty at 50%. Especially from the hack uncle Larry. Braun got a return lol. And people want to buyout Smith and or stall too. That's an even worse dead cap hit and dont forget we are still paying Girardi. Very short sighted to do a buyout on any of these contracts. It's two more seasons and they can sit if we bring someone up to take their place. Cap isnt moving up and word is it will be set around 83m for the next 3 years. Cap space is great to have, we dont have to spend to the cap every year. Plus again if we didnt have the cap space we would be able to take advantage of teams like the jets and get trouba for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad