Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If the Rangers were really in on Bengtsson, as someone here (don't remember who) said, and he went with the Pens anyway, I wonder what made him decide to go there instead of with the Rangers.

I wouldn't put this as a big failure for the Rangers unless they weren't going after him at all.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If the Rangers were really in on Bengtsson, as someone here (don't remember who) said, and he went with the Pens anyway, I wonder what made him decide to go there instead of with the Rangers.

I wouldn't put this as a big failure for the Rangers unless they weren't going after him at all.

A better chance of winning?

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Haha very very well done. Frighteningly accurate.

Haha yeah you're right... I mean look at the way the Rangers can draft first line talent , like with no brain gimmes, such as Tarasenko. .

The days of spending on FAs is over!!

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This team should really continue going after the 24-25 lifer AHL players instead of trying to bring in players that will have an NHL impact.

The retool isn't off to a good start

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
The timeline of posts after the the Stamkos signing

Yes, he is awesome, I've always wanted him, or, I've changed my mind, I like him now.

He has not even played a game yet, give him a chance

It's early, it takes time to learn the system

It's not the fault of Stamkos, Rangers always lose in December or January.

They did not sign him for the regular season, it's about the playoffs

Well even if he did not score in the playoffs, he played well otherwise

Repeat 3 more seasons

Then after those 4 seasons

He must be injured

Get this overpaid bum out of here

Can they buy him out?

Man he declined quickly

They can't rebuild

Who going to be a free agent this off-season?
hehe, i fear that this is FAR more accurate than we like to be reminded of :)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He'd probably have more of a chance getting into the Penguins lineup next year than ours. Their tight to the cap floor and probably won't be retaining Lovejoy or Schultz. The only right-handed dman they have signed long term is Letang

BarbaraAlphanse

What I expect most likely to happen:

M Staal is retained. E Staal departs.

Girardi is traded. He obliges with understanding that compliance will land him a job after playing. The Rangers send a decent prospect that we don't want to lose as part of the package to entice the other team to acquire him. They send back a player with a better buy out hit. Thinking, Brooks Laich.

Nash is traded. He brings back a 2nd line winger and a late 2016 1st. I'm thinking Craig Smith and the Nashville 1st.

The Rangers decide between retaining Keith Yandle and moving Brady Skjei to the right side, or signing free agent Jason Demers. My guess is that they elect to go with Demers, as he is more defensively minded, and after such an atrocious job of helping Hank led to such disaster this year it makes sense.

They sign Jimmy Vesey. They trade Tanner for a 4th or 5th in 2017. They choose between re-signing Stalberg or signing Darren Helm, and getting faster on the offense. I will guess they keep Stalberg.

They'll be competitive. Get younger. And be in a position to trade their 1st next year for a rental like Patrick Marleau.

The team:

Kreider-Stepan-smith
Miller-brass-Zucc
Vesey-Hayes-Buchnevich
Stalberg-Lindberg-fast

McDonagh-Demers
Staal-Klein
Skjei-Mcilrath

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He'd probably have more of a chance getting into the Penguins lineup next year than ours. Their tight to the cap floor and probably won't be retaining Lovejoy or Schultz. The only right-handed dman they have signed long term is Letang

Yeah the Rangers couldn't offer him a spot because they need to spend the summer rehabilitating Girardi's image so when they inevitably do nothing with him, he doesn't get ripped to shreds next season.

God forbid they do the smart thing and cut their loses and sign a guy with huge upside

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Earlier in the year I said that Minny's formula of Parise, Suter & the Kids just haven't been working and it was recently reported that they are looking to move a bunch of them.

IMO the best news out of Minny is Fletcher being retained, you know it's his last kick at the can, and you've got a desperate GM.

They will probably buyout Vanek.

They need defense and scoring.

The strangest thing in all of this was them blaming Zucker so much, IMO he's a real hockey player... a do anything you can type of guy.

Dumba is young, and a little bit of a wild bronco... would be stupid of them to move him but they have him out there. IMO these are the type of players the Rangers should target.

2009-2012 draft aged guys that are about to enter their 23-27 prime.

The Rangers need more players in that window.

If this coach can't coach young players, you get someone who can.

Post Lockout II and Lockout III has had enough data to show that the new prime for hockey players is 23-27. The decline happens then... and as the Rangers have seen, the cliff falls off after 30-32. Sure there are exceptions, the Rangers have missed banking on those repeatedly.

They need to ante up their efforts to get younger.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah the Rangers couldn't offer him a spot because they need to spend the summer rehabilitating Girardi's image so when they inevitably do nothing with him, he doesn't get ripped to shreds next season.

God forbid they do the smart thing and cut their loses and sign a guy with huge upside

Look, I wanted to add Bengtsson to the prospect pool too, but we do need to take a step back and objectively look at how hard it is to move Girardi's contract. The buyout option could hurt us too down the road, especially considering he'll be $3.75M of dead cap space in three years.

Wanna know what just so conveniently happens to also be three years away from now? McDonagh and Zucc hitting UFA. Possibly Kreider, Miller, or Hayes RFA contracts, depending on what happens if they get bridge deals or not, oh and Pavel Buchnevich's 3-year ELC expiring.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Look, I wanted to add Bengtsson to the prospect pool too, but we do need to take a step back and objectively look at how hard it is to move Girardi's contract. The buyout option could hurt us too down the road, especially considering he'll be $3.75M of dead cap space in three years.

Wanna know what just so conveniently happens to also be three years away from now? McDonagh and Zucc hitting UFA. Possibly Kreider, Miller, or Hayes RFA contracts, depending on what happens if they get bridge deals or not, oh and Pavel Buchnevich's 3-year ELC expiring.

I didn't meant to have that come across as yelling at you btw.

I'm frustrated. Bengsston was literally a softball lob that would have been a homer run and they whiffed as hard as possible.

Again I will say, that prospects see the way the Rangers have jerked around younger guys, and it's costing them.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

I'm frustrated. Bengsston was literally a softball lob that would have been a homer run and they whiffed as hard as possible.

Again I will say, that prospects see the way the Rangers have jerked around younger guys, and it's costing them.

I mean, we don't know that for a fact. The Rangers could have been fiercely competing with the Pens for Bengtsson and he just decided "Hey, Pens can give more playing time, which I want. Your offer was good, NYR, but no thanks."

Something easy like that. I don't think Rangers whiffed as hard as possible in not getting Bengtsson. It sucks that they didn't get him, but it's not immediately a total failure from the organization.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Don't worry about it, I know you weren't yelling at me. I just wanted offer a different opinion about the situation. Like I said, I wanted Bengtsson, but it's also possible that his game doesn't transition well to a smaller ice surface. He is a pretty small guy (5'10 180) and there's the possibility that he could be just another David Rundblad. Jared Spurgeon overcomes his size disadvantage by being a tenacious little ****, I don't know if Bengtsson is that kind of player.

That being said, I've been saying for a while that we need to find ways to improve RD depth throughout the organization. I'd like to see them invest in one early at the draft because recently, they've been spending them on long shot projects like Mantha, Nanne, and Zborovskiy. Noreau and Donnay were two other wasted picks.

Let's hope they'll at least add Jerret Smith into the fold.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So Bengtsson signed with the team who was arguably the best in the NHL during the second half, and just wiped the floor with the Rangers, yet somehow it's more plausible that the Rangers just biffed on signing him? This place, man. :shakehead

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden

Well why would he sign with us? If he did he would only find himself sitting in the pressbox watching Tanner Glass play.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
A name on my random list of people to check out over the summer: Dennis Everberg. He's not happy with how he's been handled in Colorado and is considering going back to Europe. I'd try and acquire his rights from the Avs and offer him a 1 year deal with the understanding that if he didn't make the team, we'd agree to loan him out. He's a big guy who can skate well and likes to hit. Very good along the boards with a decent set of hands. Potentially a solid 4th line option with an outside chance of being a 3rd liner if he can gain confidence. Having a few swedes in house can help him get comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad