Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Is anyone actually confident in this team moving forward?

When the offseason started last year, the Rangers were at a crossroads. Go for it all, one more year... Or take a step back, recoup some assets, and plan for the year after this year and beyond. Management decided to do neither.

It bugged me for a while. A directionless team, with the lack of a plan stemming from the top. I didn't know how to plan for this upcoming season. I definitely wasn't confident.

The Rangers dilly-dallied around until the trade deadline, where they traded some decently valuable future assets to acquire an underperforming former star, in an attempt to go for it for one last year.

To some degree, that satisfied me. Not that I agreed with the trade, but that they finally were committing to a direction. It just turns out that the direction they chose was the wrong one.

I would say that the future can look bright for this franchise if they do what they should've done last offseason, and blow up the core... But I have no faith that they'll identify the right guys to move and identify the right assets to acquire in their stead.

The decision to keep Nash and move Hagelin was disappointing, for me. The return for Hagelin was even worse.

It is bad enough that the past decade, an era that brought us all so much excitement and team success, is ending. The window is closing and that brings a bad taste in my mouth. What makes it more bitter is that with the FO we currently have, and the decisions they're making... The future looks even worse.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would say that the future can look bright for this franchise if they do what they should've done last offseason, and blow up the core... But I have no faith that they'll identify the right guys to move and identify the right assets to acquire in their stead.

The decision to keep Nash and move Hagelin was disappointing, for me. The return for Hagelin was even worse.

It is bad enough that the past decade, an era that brought us all so much excitement and team success, is ending. The window is closing and that brings a bad taste in my mouth. What makes it more bitter is that with the FO we currently have, and the decisions they're making... The future looks even worse.

I have some faith. Gorton is not Sather, and he knows the game is changing. Hence why they said this was an all in year with this group one last time.

And although I agree that the Hagelin return was botched completely, and they probably should have just hung onto Etem, we can't say it was a complete failure. If Gropp becomes a top 6 player in the next few years, then the trade was absolutely worth it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Nash, Brassard, Girardi, Staal, Glass should all be traded.

Nash for Vatanen +

Brassard for picks/prospects

Girardi for Bolland (place Bolland on IR)

Staal forpicks/prospcts

Staal, Boyle, Moore should be allowed to walk.

Re-sign Yandle.

Sign:
Matt Martin
Riley Nash
Ryan White
Troy Brouwer
Darren Helm
Jason Demers

Kreider-Stepan-MZA
Miller-Hayes-Buchnevich
Helm-Lindberg-Brouwer
Martin-Nash/White-Fast
Nash/White

McDonagh-Vatanen
Yandle-Demers
Skjei-McIlrath

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't understand why people feel the need to get into these mutually exclusive "camps".

Of course the main problem is general organizational disfunction.

The core is blowing it and looks to lack a killer instinct. AV isn't adjusting and clearly is not motivating said core. Hagelin, Staal, etc trades go on Gorton.

The fish rots from the head down.

BarbaraAlphanse

I don't understand why people feel the need to get into these mutually exclusive "camps".

Of course the main problem is general organizational disfunction.

The core is blowing it and looks to lack a killer instinct. AV isn't adjusting and clearly is not motivating said core. Hagelin, Staal, etc trades go on Gorton.

The fish rots from the head down.

Yep. Makes you wonder if the rangers have appropriate leadership on any level.

Sather as president. Gorton as general manager. AV as coach. McDonagh as captain.

There is just something off with all.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sorry for the terrible format of this post in advance.

I'm staying firmly adamant about this team having a good, new "core" in place moving forward. I don't think a complete blowup is necessary, but a re-tool is a definite must. Look at what we have:

Stepan, Hayes, Lindberg, Miller, Kreider, Fast, Hrivik can all serve as the nucleus going forward of our young forward group. Brassard and Zucc are still productive, in their prime, and have team friendly contracts considering what they provide. Buchnevich is a wild card at the moment, but I'll give him very mild expectations and say he can be a 30-35 point 3rd line winger next season. Tambellini and Nieves seem poised to have good years in Hartford next season, maybe Fogarty as well. We have Gropp and Kovacs that look like they'll be good 3rd line wingers with some more potential than that to be added in the next two or three years. I'll leave out Stromwall because I literally have no clue how he'll translate to the AHL level, but he looks like he has some potential as well.

Brassard, Zucc, Stepan, Kreider, Miller are 5/6 of your top-6 next season.
Lindberg, Hayes, Hrivik, Fast, and Buchnevich (assuming he'll get NHL time next season, like I said, going with very mild expectations of him so I don't over-project him) are 5/6 of your bottom-6 next season. So saying we trade Nash, lose Staal, Stalberg, and hopefully move Glass, you're looking at a skeleton outline of:

Kreider-Stepan-?
Miller-Brassard-Zucc
Buchnevich-Hayes-Fast
Hrivik-Lindberg-?

Not a terrible core going forward. A Nash trade should net us a piece to add to that group. I'd honestly bring Stalberg back as insurance if Fogarty/Nieves/Tambo can't crack the NHL in two years.

The defense has McDonagh, Skjei, Klein, and McIlrath to build around. Keep Yandle. Figure out what to do with Staal and G. Keep Staal if you have to, he at least has shown he's still capable and you don't want to throw Skjei and Dylan both into the fire next season. Let Staal serve as your insurance minute-eater when necessary, and move on from G. Shattenkirk would be nice, but I don't see it happening. Skeleton outline again:

McDonagh-Skjei
Yandle-Klein
Staal-McIlrath

Hank
Skapski/Hellberg/Raanta

Shestyorkin looks like he's gonna be a good goalie. Halverson too. Hank serving as a mentor to these two will be critical to their development when they're slowly replacing him in the next 4-5 years.

Are we really that screwed in the future? Down the road when Stepan, Kreider, Brass, and Zucc are older? Maybe, that completely depends on our recent draft picks panning out.

But for now, I don't think we're that terrible going into next season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This off-season truly banks on the Rangers being able to do the unprecedented, and get Girardi and Staal of this team; then re-sign Yandle. That has to be top priority, but I don't know if they can do it.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Sather and Gorton put this franchise in the hole for the next five years before true rebuilding can take place with those senseless deadline deals. No draft picks, no kids in the system Dark days will be upon us.

BarbaraAlphanse

This off-season truly banks on the Rangers being able to do the unprecedented, and get Girardi and Staal of this team; then re-sign Yandle. That has to be top priority, but I don't know if they can do it.

Add Nash in there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Add Nash in there.

Nash needs to be gone. I am starting to think Brassard should go too.

There needs to be a serious shot of consistent intensity with this bunch. Add in players who work hard like Brouwer, Helm, Martin, etc. Time to start bringing more energy on a consistent basis and make this team hard to play against again.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What I forgot to add to my post is that we need a right-handed scoring forward. We have one in Derek Stepan, and he's mostly a playmaker. Jesper Fast can't be relied on as an offensive forward. He's fantastic defensively, but he can't be looked at for offense.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What I forgot to add to my post is that we need a right-handed scoring forward. We have one in Derek Stepan, and he's mostly a playmaker. Jesper Fast can't be relied on as an offensive forward. He's fantastic defensively, but he can't be looked at for offense.

Remember last off-season when I kept saying that?

The Rangers have had two glaring holes for as long as I can remember that they just never choose to fix.

A right-handed trigger-man, and a cannon from the point on the PP.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Ideally, he is someone who you can start on your 4th line to start the year and then move up when injuries happen.

BarbaraAlphanse

Nash needs to be gone. I am starting to think Brassard should go too.

There needs to be a serious shot of consistent intensity with this bunch. Add in players who work hard like Brouwer, Helm, Martin, etc. Time to start bringing more energy on a consistent basis and make this team hard to play against again.

I really like Brassard. I think he is a big part of this team's unspoken core and a big game player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

The Rangers have had two glaring holes for as long as I can remember that they just never choose to fix.

McIlrath has a cannon and he likes to use it. Time to start developing that side of his game. He and Yandle have chemistry. If Yandle is brought back, that should be a pairing.

Also, go get Vatanen.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
McIlrath has a cannon and he likes to use it. Time to start developing that side of his game. He and Yandle have chemistry. If Yandle is brought back, that should be a pairing.

Also, go get Vatanen.

A pairing for certain, but as much as I do like McIlrath, I don't think he should be on the PP. His footwork is good, but not good enough.

McD - Klein
Yandle - McIlrath
Skjei - UFA

I hope that's the D next season.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Exactly. Having that right-handed shot makes you so much more dangerous when you can post up in the slot to get a shot on your forehand off of the cycle. It also allows your to set up your lefties on their forehand from the right side of the ice, as well as pressuring on the forecheck from both sides of the ice.

****ing Christian Thomas over Tyler Toffoli.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A pairing for certain, but as much as I do like McIlrath, I don't think he should be on the PP. His footwork is good, but not good enough.

McD - Klein
Yandle - McIlrath
Skjei - UFA

I hope that's the D next season.

Jason Demers please

27 years old, moves the puck well. Adds some offense but is very good at getting the puck out of his end.

Unless they can somehow pry Vatanen away from Anaheim

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
What would Lundqvist reasonably return in a trade?

I think a first + a decent player on a bad contract. I know I'll be killed for it, but I think it's a decent place to start.

Not going to trade him to a contender as those teams have their goaltending pretty much locked down. The teams that would be interested would be the ones who might be 4-5 wins away from a wildcard spot, or on the front edge of being a contender and aren't strong in goal.

I see potential trading partners in:
Buffalo
Carolina
Florida
Hate to say it, Philadelphia
Calgary
Dallas, if they don't get to the WCF this year

I really don't see a problem with Raanta as the #1 until Halvorsen or the Russian guy shows themselves to take over. I honestly don't think it would be a massive hit to competitiveness, a huge savings on the cap (leaving room for someone good in Free Agency), and it follows the mold of the slow rebuild of the late 00's.

I love having Hank as a Ranger. I hate his cap hit when it is painfully obvious in this day and age, building around a goaltender is not the way to success in the NHL. Average goaltenders are winning Cups backstopping a well built team in front of them.

It's something that has to be considered.

BarbaraAlphanse

I really like Yandle. But when my friend texted me and told me Duclair and a 1st went to Arizona, and I knew Hanzal was no longer a possibility being on the IR for Arizona, I thought for sure that the logical guy they targeted was OEL for his shooting ability on the PP.

Not that I'm disappointed with Yandle. But OEL would have been perfect.

I guess they thought McDonagh would've been better on the PP with Keith feeding him the puck.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Exactly. Having that right-handed shot makes you so much more dangerous when you can post up in the slot to get a shot on your forehand off of the cycle. It also allows your to set up your lefties on their forehand from the right side of the ice, as well as pressuring on the forecheck from both sides of the ice.

****ing Christian Thomas over Tyler Toffoli.

To be fair, if CT developed, he'd be that right-handed trigger man :)

Jason Demers please

27 years old, moves the puck well. Adds some offense but is very good at getting the puck out of his end.

Unless they can somehow pry Vatanen away from Anaheim

Don't hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad