Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Sorry, but you bit a nerve there. ;)

Watch Tampa, NYI, MTL and co play. There are so called “over passing” on a shift by shift basis. I think the narrative that you must shoot the puck every time you get it in the attacking zone really hurts this franchise, screws with the players confidence and so forth. And you have a clown like Micheletti repeating it all the time. Ooooh he must shoot the puck there, every time a pass don’t result in a goal. It’s very hard to just get shots through. If you just shoot the puck against a team like Tampa you will put 15-20 low caliber shots on net and play the rest of the time in your own end. If you just put the puck on net against the NYI very few will get through — and they will kill you on the counter attack.

No, the issue is when they give up shots or defer in the middle of the slot.

That shit is unacceptable.

You get the slot, take a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Sorry, but you bit a nerve there. ;)

Watch Tampa, NYI, MTL and co play. There are so called “over passing” on a shift by shift basis. I think the narrative that you must shoot the puck every time you get it in the attacking zone really hurts this franchise, screws with the players confidence and so forth. And you have a clown like Micheletti repeating it all the time. Ooooh he must shoot the puck there, every time a pass don’t result in a goal. It’s very hard to just get shots through. If you just shoot the puck against a team like Tampa you will put 15-20 low caliber shots on net and play the rest of the time in your own end. If you just put the puck on net against the NYI very few will get through — and they will kill you on the counter attack.

No one is saying this. That’s different than passing up clean shots from the slot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Say the Rangers COULD trade for Eichel this offseason for a package of Chytil + Robertson + Howden + 1st, however, the Sabres retain $2m per season due to his surgery concerns. At what cap hit would the team be comfortable re-signing Zibanejad? $8? $8.5? The top-2 centers would be set for the next 5 years minimum and Drury could use Strome and Buch to back-fill depth.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Say the Rangers COULD trade for Eichel this offseason for a package of Chytil + Robertson + Howden + 1st, however, the Sabres retain $2m per season due to his surgery concerns. At what cap hit would the team be comfortable re-signing Zibanejad? $8? $8.5? The top-2 centers would be set for the next 5 years minimum and Drury could use Strome and Buch to back-fill depth.

Imo, those pieces aren't going to get it done. Especially if Buffalo is trading with an eastern team.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kreider said in the media exit interviews that he had lower back issues hampering him, which makes sense as that would impact everything from skating (mobility) to board play to net presence. He looked ok skating straight ahead but he turned like a tanker which I found strange, but the injury explains that.
Yea that at least makes sense, cause he was a total non factor. Bad back would make in ineffective as a net front presence as well. I really hope Gallant can get the most out of him. I’m not expecting a 10 goal and 10 assist just in his usual point totals, but at least maybe for 3-4 every game he can be a factor. More like the Kreids of 2 years ago driving the net, breakaways, solid net front presence with deflections/screens on the PP, at least be hard to move. Backing up the D with his speed, set plays on faceoffs. At least when he’s doing that it has a positive influence on the game in general and the other players. Last year, once he was dropped to 3rd line, even a little before that, he may as well not even stepped on the ice cause he was largely useless. We don’t need him to be a 35-35 guy. Just his normal 47-52 pt range while using all the others attributes that makes him a physical specimen would be a coup for the team and a shot in the arm to the 3rd line

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Any proposal that includes Buffalo retaining anything for the next 5 years are not even slightly realistic. Yes that would be the perfect option for the rangers, but theres no shot.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Yea that at least makes sense, cause he was a total non factor. Bad back would make in ineffective as a net front presence as well. I really hope Gallant can get the most out of him. I’m not expecting a 10 goal and 10 assist just in his usual point totals, but at least maybe for 3-4 every game he can be a factor

Only way you get the most out of Krieder: you construct a line for him.

Zibby and Breadman don't mesh. He can't be the sole guy expected to do all the boardwork. Krieder is not an elite powerforward who can do it all himself.

You need some smash mouth guys for him to play with. Simple game that doesn't require alot of finesse.

Thats what he is, that is what he was drafted for. Otherwise, figure out a way to move him.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Only way you get the most out of Krieder: you construct a line for him.

Zibby and Breadman don't mesh. He can't be the sole guy expected to do all the boardwork. Krieder is not an elite powerforward who can do it all himself.

You need some smash mouth guys for him to play with. Simple game that doesn't require alot of finesse.

That what he is, that is what he was drafted for. Othetwise, figure out a way to move him.
I think him and chytil can work well together. They are both big and fast, Good on the cycle below the goal line, they do need a good 3rd component to be truly dangerous though.
I really wish kreider would model his game after John LeClair in his later years with the legion of Doom line. LeClair was slower but the guy would just go to the net constantly. Pucks would bounce off him and go in, he got deflections and a ton of rebound goals.
LeClair has better hands but Kreids does have good hand eye coordination when it comes to deflections. And he’s so big and strong he’s be a load to move from the goal mouth. His bread and butter should be rebound goals

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think him and chytil can work well together. They are both big and fast, Good on the cycle below the goal line, they do need a good 3rd component to be truly dangerous though
When Chytil had time with CK + Buch it was his most productive time. If we figure to keep buch, thats a solid 3rd line in my opinion.

Reactions: jay from jersey

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly that package wouldn’t even get Reinhart

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Honestly that package wouldn’t even get Reinhart
Yea I think the Eichel ship has sailed. And this coming from a guy who wants him instead of Zibby for the next 5 years. Right now the risk just isn’t worth the reward to give the Sabres a good enough package to trade him to the rangers. It’s too big a gamble that he’ll be the same guy as before the neck injury. Unless we get him at a steal, he ain’t gonna be a ranger.
Unfortunately, the safest move right now is to Resign Zibby for 5-6 years and go from there even though I don’t want the rangers giving him a 45-50 mill deal but there’s not a lot of option right now.
I’d love to know what the package was that we offered for him last year.
My guess was Chytil, Jones, 1st and strome/salary??
Maybe another pick.
We all know they wanted the 1OA for LaF and we nuked the deal

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think Chytil + Robertson would get Reinhart. The rumor is that Van 1st gets him, and i'd say that package from us is better than that.
I think it's close and not that I would do it. Just saying that original package is not getting you Eichel even if Chytil still does have potential.
I don't know the contract situation with Reinhart but what the heck are the sabres trying to do? tear it down again? Reinhart played really good hockey down the stretch.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

There’s no price point that works AFTER two seasons from now, sorry. Even with only one of them the Rangers are losing Buchnevich and Strome assuming each are getting $6+m on their next contracts. That’s why signing Chytil to a cheaper long-term contract is imperative so there could be a decent third center and not a cheap quality fill-in (or alternatively a good prospect on ELC whom we don’t have in the system right now).

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think it's close and not that I would do it. Just saying that original package is not getting you Eichel even if Chytil still does have potential.
I don't know the contract situation with Reinhart but what the heck are the sabres trying to do? tear it down again? Reinhart played really good hockey down the stretch.
Reinhart is an rfa and made it clear to the press he’s tired of losing. They basically have to completely tear it down especially if they move Eichel.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No, the issue is when they give up shots or defer in the middle of the slot.

That shit is unacceptable.

You get the slot, take a shot.

These are split second decisions, and of course mistakes are made. You don’t expect to get a clean lane, then you do and don’t have time to reconsider. Happens all the time in all facets of the game.

How can that be unacceptable?

How many pts would Panarin have scored if “he just understood how to play the game” like so many posters here does? 200?

Before this season so much focus was put on Zibanejad and Panarin to get them to play more of a N-S game and shoot more. This is what I am talking about how this narrative severely hurts the franchise. Zibanejad and his overpassing was on pace to score 60 goals in 19/20, break the franchise record. Panarin had a Hart worthy season the same year.

How good would they have been if they just understood that you must fire the puck on net every time you get a clean lane?

You need to put pucks on the net and score dirty goals. Hockey games are won in front of both nets. But there are really few open lanes in the game today. You must have players in position to win those rebounds. There is definitely a ton of room to pass the puck. Look at all goals scored by MTL this series against Vegas. A huuuuge portion of them comes after E-W passes.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
A general question for the people that say Chytil doesn't look like a #2 center. Let's say you took an average #2 center, who in a #2 center role would put up 55-65 points in an average year. Now you take that player, give him 13 minutes of ES time, no PP/PK time, and play him with whichever wingers are just not cutting it in the top 6 at the moment.
What kind of production would you expect under those circumstances?

If you said 40-45 points, that's the production we saw from Chytil last year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No one is saying this. That’s different than passing up clean shots from the slot.

100% both Ziba and Panarin wouldn’t hesitate to agree on that they make passes when shots should have been made. But to avoid that, you must have the mentality to never even consider a pass and decide on to just fire away if you get a chance.

In these situations you must take a number of factors into consideration. Is someone else in position to get a slam dunk? Is that player covered or uncovered? Is that player prepared to get a pass? In what position is the goals? Do you have a good chance to beat him? Is the player himself in position to take a shot?

The player literary got what 1 sec to make this decision?

Kucherov is one of the best scorers in the game, watch him play. He is making “fancy passes” all the time. Giving up shots. Trying to find open players on the far post. There is a reason for that.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

One with concusion history, the other with neck surgery.

Pass.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Before this season we had two guys coming into camp. One of a Hart worthy season and the other fresh of a season on which he was on pace to break an almost 100 years franchise record.

To bad that those guys just don’t understand how you play the game and learn to take much more shots on net like Michelleti calls for and a big portion of the fan base. Got it.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
These are split second decisions, and of course mistakes are made. You don’t expect to get a clean lane, then you do and don’t have time to reconsider. Happens all the time in all facets of the game.

How can that be unacceptable?

How many pts would Panarin have scored if “he just understood how to play the game” like so many posters here does? 200?

Before this season so much focus was put on Zibanejad and Panarin to get them to play more of a N-S game and shoot more. This is what I am talking about how this narrative severely hurts the franchise. Zibanejad and his overpassing was on pace to score 60 goals in 19/20, break the franchise record. Panarin had a Hart worthy season the same year.

How good would they have been if they just understood that you must fire the puck on net every time you get a clean lane?

You need to put pucks on the net and score dirty goals. Hockey games are won in front of both nets. But there are really few open lanes in the game today. You must have players in position to win those rebounds. There is definitely a ton of room to pass the puck. Look at all goals scored by MTL this series against Vegas. A huuuuge portion of them comes after E-W passes.

I'll repeat, if you get the slot, take a shot.

I didn't say if you get a clean lane for some shot from the circles or halfwall. Nor did I say bad angle shots.

I'm talking prime real estate from the highest scoring area in the game.

I have seen numerous times the Rangers work, drive, or cycle to the slot only for them to defer for a cross ice pass to a lower percentage area. Wide open lanes, no defender to shot block.

Its unacceptable cause its habitual..

Reactions: egelband

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I probably wouldn't either but I am sure Buffalo wouldn't make that trade either. And adding Robertson and a first is not gonna get you close to Eichel.
I think chytil/Robertson/1st would be the best offer they’re getting for a dude making 10.5 mil with a f***ed neck

Reactions: Ceremony
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad