Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kreider is paid to hit 30 Goals for once in his career. It seems like we the fans are his personal hype man. 'Yeah, he's gonna finally hit 30 this year, I can feel it".

Mark Stone hasn't hit 30 goals either. Zuccarello only hit 20 once.

People just like to shit on Kreider because he's big and doesn't always play like Todd Bertuzzi. He's one of the best in the league as a net front presence on the PP. That's irreplaceable in our current group.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
@Ola Did you even stop to give it a second thought before posting this nonsense about drafting based on a percentage of position over full lineup?

Actually, it was just an observation! Or? Lol I have to go back and check. I thought I just observed that we drafted a lot more LDs than what is proportional but that we only drafted slightly more Ds.

I also noted that Gorton traded many LDs while drafting many of them.

I also noted that RDs definitely go higher than had they been LDs. They are harder to find. Like 70% of all players are LHS in the hockey world.

Did anything come across as some kind of statement? Sorry if I was unclear. :)

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Kreider is one of the few people we have who actually shoots the puck too and doesn’t look for the perfect shot all the freaking time. Panarin is elite but imagine how much better he would be if he was even a little more selfish

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
5A0D5051-8B86-4723-9090-30B22A7185FF.png

I really don’t like the idea of Kevin Weeks as an AGM lol. What has he ever done to warrant consideration? Sit in front of a camera and say clichés. And since when is John Davidson some kind of successful management person? STL was a mess when he was there and only turned it around long after JD was gone. The management of CBJ who got NOTHING after decades of rebuilding speaks for it self.

The AGM got to be able to work 70 hour weeks. Needs to be extremely driven. Needs to understand the game, the different roles. Why is some TV guy seen as better suited than any assistant coach in hockey?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Someone mentioned Chyaka. But he is suspended for the entire 2021 calendar year by the NHL. I wouldn’t mind him as an AGM if he could behave.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kreider is one of the few people we have who actually shoots the puck too and doesn’t look for the perfect shot all the freaking time. Panarin is elite but imagine how much better he would be if he was even a little more selfish

Yeah imagine if he had your hockey sense and would know how to play, I am sure he would be a lot better than like top 5 in the world.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yeah imagine if he had your hockey sense and would know how to play, I am sure he would be a lot better than like top 5 in the world.

It's not putting him down and I said he was elite but ignore that why dont you..

He passes up a lot of shots still that he should be taking despite being elite.

Reactions: Ola

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

People just like to shit on Kreider because he's big and doesn't always play like Todd Bertuzzi. He's one of the best in the league as a net front presence on the PP. That's irreplaceable in our current group.
No one wanted to hand Zuccarello a Kreider type contract so that proves the point. And Stone is a top level defensive forward, plays hard every shift, and is hardly invisible. Its not all about the 30 goals. The negative talk is about his inconsistent play. The goal scoring talk comes from his fans.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Someone mentioned Chyaka. But he is suspended for the entire 2021 calendar year by the NHL. I wouldn’t mind him as an AGM if he could behave.
I'd pass. I think his sister is the real brains of the operation and it seems like he has a job line up with the Devils.

Reactions: Ola

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

The reason why we shit on Krieder is because he is shit for most of the season, except for 15 games. The players you mentioned shouldnt even be in the same breath of Krieder. Both of those guys play a complete game and ARE noticeable on the ice almost every game.

Great he is a net front presence for part of the season. Who cares. There are plenty of other guys that can and will stand in front of the net for cheaper AND are noticeable on the ice for making plays and being in your face. Krieder is none of that.

After we buyout Deangelo, You and the others who guard kreider like hes the 2nd coming, you will eventually see what we already see. That his contract is albatross bc of the term and that f***ing NTC, his cap hit will prevent us from keeping better players ie Buch for now, just wait for a few years down the road and who else it will be.

You and others will eventually see that he NEEDS to be bought out sooner rather than later

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

Except that he misses the net alot more than he hits the net

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Unless something drastic happens this offseason, Zibby is gonna be in blue for a long time.

We're fortunate to be in a situation where we can quibble about the flaws in our first true #1 center since first season Brad Richards.

The only scenario I would deal Zib is on a massive overpay by Vegas that nets me Glass and Krebs, along with something else for taking 50% retention.

Although, that scenario got more possible because they choked and may push all in next season lol.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Stone has hit 60 points 6x. Kreider has never done that. Zuc, we all know how I feel about him. Good to very good player that was treated around here like an HOFer.

I don't crap on Kreider because he's not Todd Bertuzzi or Tim Kerr, it's the same story with him every year.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The only scenario I would deal Zib is on a massive overpay by Vegas that nets me Glass and Krebs, along with something else for taking 50% retention.

Although, that scenario got more possible because they choked and may push all in next season lol.

Glass has been through some shit. I like to bet on players like that. I am not at all inclined to trade Zibanejad but the trade you're talking there has as good of potential to be the Brass-Zib trade 2.0 as any I've seen.

I have no idea how highly regarded either are by LV though. I assume quite highly, even though Glass hasn't really impressed since being drafted.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I think we get some depth players and see how this team looks under a new coach before we start making big moves.

For all we know Chytil can turn into a beast #2. Barron becomes a great bottom 6er and Zib returns to pre Covid form.
A beast number 2? I am hoping he turns into a good player. It seems I am a minority on this Board but after 4 years I see someone who is inconsistent, not a great skater. not good in the defensive zone and a center who looks to shoot first and not good at setting up his line mates. Putting all that aside You could argue that maybe he can improve in some of those areas but IMO his lack of instincts and bad decisions on the ice are a red flag. After 4 years I would have expected better. I mean to me LaF and KK compared to Chytl are way ahead with the instincts and ice vision. Nothing to sneeze at.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Kreider deal was a questionable decision when he was resigned and even more this past season. However, folks forget what a monster he was from December til season interruption during 19-20. His play essentially forced Gorton to make the decision he made. Personally I’d always preferred Buchnevich over Kreider (but this is water under the bridge) but I want to see HEALTHY Kreider with a normal full offseason training playing under Gallant. We could be talking him flirting with a 40-goal season. Flame away
You know who else forgets? Chris Kreider does.

Hasn't hit 30 goals but he's going to hit 40 under Gallant??? How? Standing inn front more? Off wing wrister while flying down the left side?

He is what he is (and again, I own his jersey so I am no hater)... that's a fast, big guy who rarely uses his size other than as a screen on the PP.

Should've traded him and def does NOT deserve a NMC

Full stop, end transmission.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
A beast number 2? I am hoping he turns into a good player. It seems I am a minority on this Board but after 4 years I see someone who is inconsistent, not a great skater. not good in the defensive zone and a center who looks to shoot first and not good at setting up his line mates. Putting all that aside You could argue that maybe he can improve in some of those areas but IMO his lack of instincts and bad decisions on the ice are a red flag. After 4 years I would have expected better. I mean to me LaF and KK compared to Chytl are way ahead with the instincts and ice vision. Nothing to sneeze at.
Yeah. You’re wrong.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
It’s a shame because I’m watching guys like Gourde be relentless every single shift and wish he was more like that for us. Can’t make $6.5M and ghost for games on end. It can’t happen under Gallant. Id have his *** in the press box if that happens.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yea but even prior to last season after the deal was signed and he had the documented foot injury. He was still doing things on the ice even though he was held off the scoreboard. This past season besides a handful of games he was largely a non factor and floated. I don’t know what his injury was, but he wasn’t even the same screening the goalie. Not too many deflections, and not as good as he was the year prior. And the year before that as well.
The alarming part was this was the first year of his big deal, and play wise probably the worst in his last 4-5. He’s lucky he scored a lot of goals in bunches early or statistically it would have been awful for him as well.
All the posts going back over the years say the same thing. I believe his breakaways per game this past season were also down. Even if he didn’t convert on them, he was still driving the net generating scoring chances. Last season everything was down across the board

Kreider said in the media exit interviews that he had lower back issues hampering him, which makes sense as that would impact everything from skating (mobility) to board play to net presence. He looked ok skating straight ahead but he turned like a tanker which I found strange, but the injury explains that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad