Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2021 Offseason)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
View attachment 449844

I really don’t like the idea of Kevin Weeks as an AGM lol. What has he ever done to warrant consideration? Sit in front of a camera and say clichés. And since when is John Davidson some kind of successful management person? STL was a mess when he was there and only turned it around long after JD was gone. The management of CBJ who got NOTHING after decades of rebuilding speaks for it self.

The AGM got to be able to work 70 hour weeks. Needs to be extremely driven. Needs to understand the game, the different roles. Why is some TV guy seen as better suited than any assistant coach in hockey?
Does anyone realize WHY guys are in front of cameras getting paid lots of money to give their opinions?

Agree or disagree, like them or not, the reason is they KNOW THE GAME... inside and out. (Milbury aside lol)

Let's not pretend that Weekes wasn't an NHL goalie and doesn't know more than anyone on this board about the game and the players because that is a ridiculous fantasy.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
A beast number 2? I am hoping he turns into a good player. It seems I am a minority on this Board but after 4 years I see someone who is inconsistent, not a great skater. not good in the defensive zone and a center who looks to shoot first and not good at setting up his line mates. Putting all that aside You could argue that maybe he can improve in some of those areas but IMO his lack of instincts and bad decisions on the ice are a red flag. After 4 years I would have expected better. I mean to me LaF and KK compared to Chytl are way ahead with the instincts and ice vision. Nothing to sneeze at.

You can say he is inconsistent, that's accurate but fits pretty much every young player who didn't go to college 3 years. You can say he doesn' tpass enough, that his defense is mediocre (an argument that can be made for all of our centers) but not a great skater? Whaaaaat? Are you talking about the same Filip Chytil? Skating, size and his hands are all well above average. He is often a force.

I would argue what Filip Chytil needs... is to be GIVEN some consistency. He needs regular linemates. He needs regular minutes. He needs to stay healthy. (the injury and then coming back with a wrist that was not fully healed really hurt his season because he was our best center to start the season by a mile.)

At worst, Filip Chytil will be a bottom 6 center or a top 9 winger. He hasn't even fully grown into his frame yet. But was much stronger this year than last. And he's only going to get stronger.

Unlike some of our other young players, he's already proven to have a fairly high floor -- he's already better than: Howden, Gauthier, Barron (who is OLDER). He's better than Rooney and Blackwell. And right at this moment, he's more consistent and more impactful shift by shift than Laf and Kakko. That's not to say some of those guys won't surpass him. That actually better happen. But this idea that a 21 year old center is supposed to have put it all together already is very unfair.

Lastly, it's really important to note that at 21, Chytil had almost exactly the same scoring pace as our best center prospect in the last 12 years -- Derek Stepan. Step was our #1 C during our last contention window. AND in Step's 21 year old season - he also had 10 points on the power play. Chytil barely had any PP time at all, only averaged 13 min a game. Never had consistent linemates. And finally, Chytil had a BETTER face off percentage at the same age as Step.

Lastly, FWIW, Chytil was a +9 this year. A marked improvement from his first two seasons.

Chytil has shown improvement every year. His overall game has gotten better. And finally, I'm excited to see what he looks like under Gallant.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah. You’re wrong.
Based on what? The overwhelmingly great metrics he has while at the Center position?

He has been below average at the center position. I don’t see signs that he is all the sudden going to take off and take the next step. I certainly have hoped he would, but this kid would be better off on the wing with less responsibility. The constant turnovers at the opposition’s blueline lends to the position that he has poor instincts and hockey IQ. He has talent but to me does not have the making of a solid 2C.

I know the Chytil crowd will say but but but the Rangers have been playing him at Center for the last 4 years so obviously they think he is good enough…. Its such a piss poor and ignorant argument. What other options have the Rangers had? Who are the great centers in those 4 years that could play over him? Not to mention our pipeline at Center is pathetic. Of course the Rangers have stuck him there, they are hoping and praying he can be a Center in this league because what other choice do they have.

I hope I am wrong in the long run if they decide to keep him and also keep him at the center position, but so far it doesn’t look promising.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
A beast number 2? I am hoping he turns into a good player. It seems I am a minority on this Board but after 4 years I see someone who is inconsistent, not a great skater. not good in the defensive zone and a center who looks to shoot first and not good at setting up his line mates. Putting all that aside You could argue that maybe he can improve in some of those areas but IMO his lack of instincts and bad decisions on the ice are a red flag. After 4 years I would have expected better. I mean to me LaF and KK compared to Chytl are way ahead with the instincts and ice vision. Nothing to sneeze at.
I agree here. I am just a small town moron, but Chytil looks "dumb" out there. Hope I am wrong.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Actually, it was just an observation! Or? Lol I have to go back and check. I thought I just observed that we drafted a lot more LDs than what is proportional but that we only drafted slightly more Ds.

I also noted that Gorton traded many LDs while drafting many of them.

I also noted that RDs definitely go higher than had they been LDs. They are harder to find. Like 70% of all players are LHS in the hockey world.

Did anything come across as some kind of statement? Sorry if I was unclear. :)

You explicitly stated a percentage for each position that should be drafted. Maybe your message didn’t clearly come across but it read like you argued for this percentage method drafting instead of BPA.

Reactions: Ola

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Someone mentioned Chyaka. But he is suspended for the entire 2021 calendar year by the NHL. I wouldn’t mind him as an AGM if he could behave.

Jesus keep that fraud far away from the Rangers.

Reactions: pld459666

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Danault really growing on me. Consistently good face-off guy. Only FA I'm interested in so far. Makes Strome tradeable, late 22 first maybe, one can dream.

I wouldn't touch the D. Let Trouba be the vet, the only vet. Fill out with the kids.

Reactions: NYROrtsFan

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Danault really growing on me. Consistently good face-off guy. Only FA I'm interested in so far. Makes Strome tradeable, late 22 first maybe, one can dream.

I wouldn't touch the D. Let Trouba be the vet, the only vet. Fill out with the kids.

I don't see how the Rangers will compete for the Cup with a D full of kids. The really good D are older because they have matured physically and they have years of NHL and playoff experience. It's not a judgement of the talent level of the kids, it's simply experience. I'm certain there will be moves made to get a solid veteran for the D or two. We already saw how the wheels came off when Trouba and Lindgren (both still young too) were injured.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Does anyone realize WHY guys are in front of cameras getting paid lots of money to give their opinions?

Agree or disagree, like them or not, the reason is they KNOW THE GAME... inside and out. (Milbury aside lol)

Let's not pretend that Weekes wasn't an NHL goalie and doesn't know more than anyone on this board about the game and the players because that is a ridiculous fantasy.

But their real strength is to be able to speak to a broad public.

There is absolute zero overlap between what is said at NHL tonight and what would be discussed between coaches on a coaching staff analyzing an opponent, their last game, strategy for an up coming game.

I don’t know about other pro sports, but in the NHL the level of coverage is focused on extremely basic stuff.

Also, probably for various reasons, many people at different positions just do not “get it”. It’s like the talk about how you “must have size at center ice to win in the POs”. Reality basically point towards the opposite and have for over a decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDirtyH

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Based on what? The overwhelmingly great metrics he has while at the Center position?

He has been below average at the center position. I don’t see signs that he is all the sudden going to take off and take the next step. I certainly have hoped he would, but this kid would be better off on the wing with less responsibility. The constant turnovers at the opposition’s blueline lends to the position that he has poor instincts and hockey IQ. He has talent but to me does not have the making of a solid 2C.

I know the Chytil crowd will say but but but the Rangers have been playing him at Center for the last 4 years so obviously they think he is good enough…. Its such a piss poor and ignorant argument. What other options have the Rangers had? Who are the great centers in those 4 years that could play over him? Not to mention our pipeline at Center is pathetic. Of course the Rangers have stuck him there, they are hoping and praying he can be a Center in this league because what other choice do they have.

I hope I am wrong in the long run if they decide to keep him and also keep him at the center position, but so far it doesn’t look promising.
CDED2ECC-EC01-4083-B161-9FC925EA3BE0.jpeg
I think this is now the third time I’ve posted this chart. Chytil is on the right, Strome on the left.

His per 60 metrics are really good for anyone, let alone a 21 year old who had a pretty serious injury last season. That IPP… wow.

I have every confidence in the world that he can step right into that second line center role. In fact, I think the best move the Rangers can make is to trade Strome and lock Chytil up long term on a sweetheart deal before he breaks out in terms of raw counting stats.

The kid is a beast waiting to get unleashed.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You explicitly stated a percentage for each position that should be drafted. Maybe your message didn’t clearly come across but it read like you argued for this percentage method drafting instead of BPA.

Yeah sorry, I went back and checked and it was poorly worded. I meant to say “if you are to draft proportionally per position, you should draft 4/20 LWs …”. It was in a reply to a post stating that we drafted so many defenders, which isn’t quite true.

Thanks!

Reactions: kovazub94

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
View attachment 449871
I think this is now the third time I’ve posted this chart. Chytil is on the right, Strome on the left.

His per 60 metrics are really good for anyone, let alone a 21 year old who had a pretty serious injury last season. That IPP… wow.

I have every confidence in the world that he can step right into that second line center role. In fact, I think the best move the Rangers can make is to trade Strome and lock Chytil up long term on a sweetheart deal before he breaks out in terms of raw counting stats.

I’m all for experimenting with Chytil as 2C if we make sure to pick up some bottom pairing more defensive minded centers who can PK and match up and win face offs

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Martinez guys? Have we not learned a thing about how the defense needs to be built? You need some size on the backend. You can’t have a defense on the smaller side if you’re going to survive four rounds. I know I’m in the minority but so be it.

Reactions: McSauer

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Martinez guys? Have we not learned a thing about how the defense needs to be built? You need some size on the backend. You can’t have a defense on the smaller side if you’re going to survive four rounds. I know I’m in the minority but so be it.

isnt he like 6”1 220?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's not putting him down and I said he was elite but ignore that why dont you..

He passes up a lot of shots still that he should be taking despite being elite.

Sorry, but you bit a nerve there. ;)

Watch Tampa, NYI, MTL and co play. There are so called “over passing” on a shift by shift basis. I think the narrative that you must shoot the puck every time you get it in the attacking zone really hurts this franchise, screws with the players confidence and so forth. And you have a clown like Micheletti repeating it all the time. Ooooh he must shoot the puck there, every time a pass don’t result in a goal. It’s very hard to just get shots through. If you just shoot the puck against a team like Tampa you will put 15-20 low caliber shots on net and play the rest of the time in your own end. If you just put the puck on net against the NYI very few will get through — and they will kill you on the counter attack.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
View attachment 449871

BF91C8BC-6455-4BE1-A6CA-8F95D5C9A9F2.jpeg
One more way to look at this. This is ES IPP during this past regular season for players that played at least 500 minutes. Our own Artemi Panarin tops the league with a whopping 93.94. McDavid is 7OA at 87.5.

Chytil is a legitimate player that is still on the upswing. I pray we don’t trade him.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
View attachment 449873
One more way to look at this. This is ES IPP during this past regular season for players that played at least 500 minutes. Our own Artemi Panarin tops the league with a whopping 93.94. McDavid is 7OA at 87.5.

Chytil is a legitimate player that is still on the upswing. I pray we don’t trade him.

This is probably the best year to see what Chytil is with Zibanejad and Strome pending UFAs

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Kreider is one of the few people we have who actually shoots the puck too and doesn’t look for the perfect shot all the freaking time. Panarin is elite but imagine how much better he would be if he was even a little more selfish
The royal road is the 3 point line of hockey. Evolve or get left behind.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad