Speculation: Roster Building Thread VII (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Strome did well in the last game, but I would try to change lines still, because u dont throw away a 1-0 lead and manage to lose the game 4-1 with no support from other lines. 4th line have done nothing so far, and our third line is kind of meh. I think Strome is even more comfortable with a lesser role on that 3rd line, and try to give Lias some responsibility since he had a great pre season and he is kind of underrated in NY.

• I would also call up Chytil - he should play NHL no doubts in my mind.
Chytil center that 3rd line and try Lias on 2nd to give that Hayes role from last season - Strome is probably better in a wing role in my view on our 3rd line.

Pan - Zib - Kakko
Kreider - Lias - Buch
() Strome - Chytil - Strome ()

I wish we had Zucc, because Wilds is one of the oldest teams in NHL and it looks really bad and kind of wasted there at the moment with a lesser skilled team compare to Dallas which also struggle, and more likely based on age reasons even though it`s very early in the season.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Likely want Chytil to tear it up at C in the AHl for a Bitcoin but eventually he goes in at 2nd line C

Andersson needs better linemates ... Smith can’t stay in the lineup at F I don’t care on the theory

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
As a rebuilding team, we should be exploring everything and anything. Hell, we’re using Smith as a ****ing forward. No reason why Lias hasn’t been given a look.

We’re only 3 games in. Quinn might have that in his mind. Maybe we should be a bit more patient. But, at the same time there’s no excuse why Howden is getting more minutes with better linemate over Lias.

It’s definitely annoying. I like Quinn but I’m dumbfounded by some of his decisions.

I agree with all of the above and I can be patient when it comes to the kids, however I can't really say the same for DQ.
Likable guy but I think this is a failed experiment already.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Likely want Chytil to tear it up at C in the AHl for a Bitcoin but eventually he goes in at 2nd line C

Andersson needs better linemates ... Smith can’t stay in the lineup at F I don’t care on the theory

Given what Chytil is making in the AHL, if he’s not playing well enough by the time he should earn enough dollars for a single bitcoin, then I’d be worried.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Actually I didn't know that. But...Beecher will be either a second or third guy I think when all is said and done but he'll also be a physical and mean player. Great size and an excellent skater.
To be honest, I thought that the first round pick was a bit of a reach. I had him pegged as a second rounder. His attributes make him the perfect modern day 3rd line center. Would have loved for him to be the second round choice for NYR, but Boston reached for him in the first.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Whatever his reasons (play in practice maybe?), I agree that the inflection point is coming/here.
As Yogi said, it gets late early. I know and understand that it is only 3 games in, but I think that Strome's time on the second line has run its course. I have defended him and wanted him to take another step forward this year (which he still can), but it's time to call a spade a spade. Who knows? Maybe it's like Edge says, the guy just cannot perform when there are top 6 expectations.

No matter how you slice it, it is time for Andersson to get a crack at the middle 6. Maybe it's to see how he and Kakko respond to each other, maybe time to reunite him and Lemieux (a combo that I loved together).

You are right. The inflection point is here. And Strome needs to be the 4th line center right now.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here's what I will say about Strome, net/net of it is that he's playing above his abilities, but let's take all of the factors into account:

Positives:
  • RH Shot
  • Good Passer
  • Can score- but with tertiary match-ups
  • Can Play Center and Right Wing
  • Can Kill Penalties
  • Good stable veteran voice
  • Good guy to help the show the kids the ropes
  • Solid decision maker off of the rush
Negatives:
  • Pacer- He doesn't go all out every
  • Skating is not good enough to be an effective forechecker
  • Skating is not good enough to be an effective backchecker against top 6 units
  • Doesn't show up for every game
  • Doesn't help generate sustained offensive zone time
To me it's really a question of what's the alternative options for an upgrade. I don't hold a sense of animus against him for the Rangers not having a better top 6 center. That's on the team building side. I do however, think that he's a passenger for most games. But he does bring value. The question is if that's more valuable in a trade or not.

Come the draft, what does Strome get in a:

• Player for player trade?
  • A Player for Pick trade?
  • A player for Prospect Trade?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Here's what I will say about Strome, net/net of it is that he's playing above his abilities, but let's take all of the factors into account:

Positives:
  • RH Shot
  • Good Passer
  • Can score- but with tertiary match-ups
  • Can Play Center and Right Wing
  • Can Kill Penalties
  • Good stable veteran voice
  • Good guy to help the show the kids the ropes
  • Solid decision maker off of the rush
Negatives:
  • Pacer- He doesn't go all out every
  • Skating is not good enough to be an effective forechecker
  • Skating is not good enough to be an effective backchecker against top 6 units
  • Doesn't show up for every game
  • Doesn't help generate sustained offensive zone time
To me it's really a question of what's the alternative options for an upgrade. I don't hold a sense of animus against him for the Rangers not having a better top 6 center. That's on the team building side. I do however, think that he's a passenger for most games. But he does bring value. The question is if that's more valuable in a trade or not.

Come the draft, what does Strome get in a:

• Player for player trade?
  • A Player for Pick trade?
  • A player for Prospect Trade?
I think this is a great post, I have nothing against strome I think he is a solid third line winger. The only reason he is centering the second line is because we don’t have a #2 center, at least not yet. Lias should be given the opportunity there now because we need to see him play with better linemates. Here is how I would put the lines together for the next game:
Panarin-zib-buch
Kreider-Lias-kakko
Lemme-howden-strome
Smith-McKegg-fast

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
He's fine on the third line. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with him on the second PP unit.

Fair enough. I think Lias should be inserted on PP2. Lemieux doesn't have the IQ to be an effective PP player imo. And his netfront skills seem lacking for such a physical player.

Reactions: Midikem

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I was thinking this too. I have no issues with Ruff, as I just don't understand the intricacies of the job. But I'd be interested to have Zubov work with the defensemen in some capacity.
Actually coached Panarin and Buch for a year, Shesterkin for two (for what it’s worth). James Patrick and Doug Lidster are also available.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad