Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2021 Offseason) - Hold them horses, only 45 days left until the draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Feel like the Devils will go hard after Hamilton. Tons of cap space and theyve been trying to go big game hunting for a few years now

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The acquiring team may need to shed cap. If Carolina gets a useful player for a UFA, why not? The NHL is way behind the rest of the sports leagues in this area.

Yep. And maybe Hamilton is not a great fit for them all things considered. He is good, but is he the guy you want to give a huge contract to in this flat cap era?

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Lundy more plays the half wall on the PP than acts as a QB.

And that spot will never be open on PP1 as long as Artemi Panarin is in blue.

We don't need him to play on the PP at all. People focusing on his offensive production will never understand his game. Yes, his shot is pretty darn lethal. He gets a ton on it.

But what he will be, eventually, is a stabilizing force on our backend. Someone who plays a very smart, heady, simple game, uses the body effectively, is positionally sound, makes a great outlet pass and anticipates the play well. He is likely to become more of a Ryan McDonagh type defenseman first before he becomes an offensive dynamo. If he's playing bottom pairing or #4, he will make our forwards way more effective because we'll finally have a bottom pairing that doesn't get trapped in their zone all the time. We won't have to worry about getting Foxy out there with our offensive guys every shift.

Can he also be on a PP at some point? Maybe? Sure? I don't really care.

If Lundkvist reaches his ceiling as an overall player, regardless of offensive ceiling, we may have another (albeit shorter) Ryan McDonagh out there who can help anchor our D corps for the next decade. That's the value of Nils Lundkvist. That's why he's more valuable than Zac Jones at the moment. His all around game is simply more refined and his physical strength is too.

Reactions: Fitzy

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Most have Seider in the top spot . Then depending on which fan base you ask they’ll have Byram, Guhle, and Lundkvist in the conversation. He certainly deserves it. I just don’t see him upping his value more if he’s stuck on 3rd pair with no PP time. If he makes the switch and we get top 4 play and minutes for him great. But I don’t think the rangers are going to do that

Ok, but then you trade him for a top, top prospect at another position. You trade him for an established elite player. Etc.

You suggested Dvorak, the guy scores like 35 points a season. Hard pass on that deal.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I agree with all that Gravey but I also see a niche for Nils on the half boards on pp2. It’s not a ton of time but it adds a Shooting threat from the second unit.

I won’t be broken up if he isn’t a 60 point guy in fact I’d be surprised.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I agree with all that Gravey but I also see a niche for Nils on the half boards on pp2. It’s not a ton of time but it adds a Shooting threat from the second unit.

I won’t be broken up if he isn’t a 60 point guy in fact I’d be surprised.

I don't disagree with this either. I'm more so reacting to the general notion that seems to prevail that Nils is somehow an offensive focused D. I think his shot would add a really interesting element -- for sure on PP2. And I think, at times, his shot can also be used on PP1 as well just to give it a different look. I think his one-timer MIGHT be more effective than Z-bad's -- who has a tendency to miss those. It's not just that Nils gets a lot on his shot, it's that he gets it off so quickly too. We'll find out if it's quick enough to be a lethal weapon for an NHL PP. But it's an element that could come into play one day.

Reactions: Fitzy

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vegas is one of the top 3 best teams in the league, they make a lot of people look bad. Graves was a top 4 dman on Colorado right? Here he would be on the bottom pair, sheltered minutes, penalty killing. He brings an element that’s sorely lacking on this team. You can do a lot worse as a third paring dman.

Graves saw his stock rise from playing with Makar.

Reactions: bleedblue94

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Remember, he might bump Fox to the second unit
Doubtful. Unless he’s making those Fox no look passes. He could line up where Zibby does in the umbrella. That would at least put him in a position to use his talents. Then they need to move Zibby. Maybe Stromes spot

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
22 points in 42 games, a 45 point pace.

Played only 13 minutes a game, 10th among our forwards (3rd line minutes)

Younger than Lindgren and Fox.

His corsi was very respectable this year.

I think people think Chytil is older than he is because of how quickly he started out in the NHL post draft. He's not a finished product at all.
IMO he's limited on offense, as in a traditional center... but we have elite playmaking wings who carry the play. I really would like to see him grow on the defensive side of things.

Ideally he becomes a work horse and pitbull for Panarin. 'Go get the puck', 'Get open in a scoring area' and 'shut them down'

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
We don't need him to play on the PP at all. People focusing on his offensive production will never understand his game. Yes, his shot is pretty darn lethal. He gets a ton on it.

i don’t think anybody has any idea. People who focus on his offensive production don’t understand his game yet he has a lethal shot? He’s really good defensively yet not physical and well under 6 foot?

So what is he? A nice regular season defenseman? Big men on defense are winning these playoff games and if they add offense, great.

I’m expecting a version of Fox despite these conflicting takes on Nils.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Feel like the Devils will go hard after Hamilton. Tons of cap space and theyve been trying to go big game hunting for a few years now
They’ve been trying to big game hunt but no big game is gonna sign on to play in Newark to a half empty crowd and a poverty franchise. No way he’s signing there.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Carolina letting Hamilton walk pretty much ends their contending hopes.

They already were lacking a couple of pieces but letting a top 10 D in the world walk is just dumb.

I don’t understand it.. They have centers, wingers, size, grit, physicality. They should keep trying to win

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So Carolina with like 26M of cap isn’t going to pay Hamilton? Hmmm
Dundon is a big time cheapo. If I recall correctly he didn’t even want to pay for his scouts cell phones once he came along.

What’s Rod looking at right now? They are letting one of your coaches and your best Dman explore other opportunities. Doesn’t sound like a winning formula.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Dundon is a big time cheapo. If I recall correctly he didn’t even want to pay for his scouts cell phones once he came along.

What’s Rod looking at right now? They are letting one of your coaches and your best Dman explore other opportunities. Doesn’t sound like a winning formula.

Dundon? More like dun-dun-dun!

...I suppose I don't have to post EVERYTHING that comes into my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad