Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2021 Offseason) - Hold them horses, only 45 days left until the draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Going to be a fascinating offseason regardless of what the Rangers do.

Expansion. A flat cap. Several teams in a cap circumvention state as-is. A league superstar (Eichel) on the move. A draft wherein many of the top players were hardly even seen playing for over a year.

Let’s get these damned Islanders knocked out the playoffs and get on with it already.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The Islanders play a really intelligent and hard working brand of hockey. They're giving the B's all they can handle and, if they move on, will do that against any opponent in the league.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Islanders play a really intelligent and hard working brand of hockey. They're giving the B's all they can handle and, if they move on, will do that against any opponent in the league.

i don’t want to be the Islanders and neither should fans. Let’s not just go for playoffs let’s build and make moves to be a favorite to win the whole thing,

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
So was watching a clip from the steve dangle podcast, and they mentioned the flaws of the leafs this year. Where after getting bullied in the playoffs the previous year they decided to add "tuffness" and then promptly couldn't score.
That actually illustrates a really good point. The ideal is a guy who plays hard, hits, but also scores. Those guys are rare and expensive. If we go all in on this toughness concept and acquire players who add toughness but limited scoring ability, similar to what the leafs did. We may end up handicapping ourselves. We've got kids who if coached properly should have no problem playing a physical game. The problem is we dont know if either Gallant or Tocchet will teach that.
I know that everyone wants to talk about how we need to add toughness, and I dont think thats really the point. Look at Tampa, they've got an insane amount of skill, not a ton of guys who are really big outside of their defensemen, and yet they look like they could coast to the cup.
Colorado is actually the better example, their top line is full of high skill guys, who are just not afraid to play in tight. We have a bunch of high skilled guys who aren't afraid to play in tight. We just need to encourage that play from the kids. Yes we have some perimeter players, but we have more guys who are capable, both in terms of size and skill to drive to the net.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
So was watching a clip from the steve dangle podcast, and they mentioned the flaws of the leafs this year. Where after getting bullied in the playoffs the previous year they decided to add "tuffness" and then promptly couldn't score.
That actually illustrates a really good point. The ideal is a guy who plays hard, hits, but also scores. Those guys are rare and expensive. If we go all in on this toughness concept and acquire players who add toughness but limited scoring ability, similar to what the leafs did. We may end up handicapping ourselves. We've got kids who if coached properly should have no problem playing a physical game. The problem is we dont know if either Gallant or Tocchet will teach that.
I know that everyone wants to talk about how we need to add toughness, and I dont think thats really the point. Look at Tampa, they've got an insane amount of skill, not a ton of guys who are really big outside of their defensemen, and yet they look like they could coast to the cup.
Colorado is actually the better example, their top line is full of high skill guys, who are just not afraid to play in tight. We have a bunch of high skilled guys who aren't afraid to play in tight. We just need to encourage that play from the kids. Yes we have some perimeter players, but we have more guys who are capable, both in terms of size and skill to drive to the net.

Also guys like Kakko, Laf, Kravtsov, Chytil etc are 19-21. They could and likely will be playing very differently in a few years than they do now especially if they buy into the coach.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Watching the series between the Islanders and Bruins to me really exposes the weaknesses the Rangers need to address. Its not only the style of play but also the type of players they have. Both are good coached teams but to me the biggest difference is that these teams can play a number of ways but they a bunch of grinders if need be. Both teams have a couple of good centers on their first 2 lines but the ones manning the 3rd and 4th lines also play a good grinding game you need to win in this league. Zibs may be flashier but he can't play the 2 way type of game most of these guys can. Same for Strome and FC. Sorry but it is reality. We really need to make changes in the middle otherwise we will not be competitive even if by chance we slide into a playoff spot.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Also guys like Kakko, Laf, Kravtsov, Chytil etc are 19-21. They could and likely will be playing very differently in a few years than they do now especially if they buy into the coach.
I don't think the guys you mentioned are a problem and I would expect at least 3 of them to continue to get better although not totally convinced on Chytll. I think the bigger problem is getting some better rounded players, particularly in the middle to help in their progress. Need some grit and less Flash.

Reactions: Salvage21

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

No doubt, our weakness in this area was magnified this year due to playing NYI, WAS and co so much.

But I still think a lot of it comes from having team toughness and we just mailed it in in that department. To restore that we just need a hyper correction next year. I am definitely far from sold on that we need to be able to go toe to toe with the more physical teams beyond that. But we can’t let these teams completely stomp on us again next year…

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I don't think the guys you mentioned are a problem and I would expect at least 3 of them to continue to get better although not totally convinced on Chytll. I think the bigger problem is getting some better rounded players, particularly in the middle to help in their progress. Need some grit and less Flash.

They need a better defensive version of Strome. A guy who puts up .86ppg is fine for a 2C. However he’s not great defensively and abysmal on face offs and has no grit. it’s also why I’m hesitant on Eichel because he plays similar to Zibanejad (finesse, E/W, flash, skill, etc)

How can we get Courtier? haha

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
They need a better defensive version of Strome. A guy who puts up .86ppg is fine for a 2C. However he’s not great defensively and abysmal on face offs and has no grit. it’s also why I’m hesitant on Eichel because he plays similar to Zibanejad (finesse, E/W, flash, skill, etc)

How can we get Courtier? haha
Mika when he’s on plays a solid 2 way game. A lot of his lapses this year are likely due to covid. Once you could see his recovery we saw a huge jump in his defensive game.
also Eichel isn’t entirely a finished product, he’s been in the nhl for 5 years and never even sniffed the playoffs, a new team could absolutely cause him to focus more defensively and become more well rounded. he’s big and strong, he has the tools necessary to play at least average defensively.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
No doubt, our weakness in this area was magnified this year due to playing NYI, WAS and co so much.

But I still think a lot of it comes from having team toughness and we just mailed it in in that department. To restore that we just need a hyper correction next year. I am definitely far from sold on that we need to be able to go toe to toe with the more physical teams beyond that. But we can’t let these teams completely stomp on us again next year…
A hyper correction via a coach is fine. having a couple players on the fourth is fine.

Reactions: Ola

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Good points. I do think for the first time in a while, a majority of the key players on the Rangers, specifically at forward, will have size to them. That's exciting. It doesn't show now because most of them are so young. However, seems like most winning teams have that two-way, TOP center . Ziba? I don't know.. I don't think so - not a lone. If he's your #1 .. you almost need TWO #1 centers, if ya know what I mean..
But our wings look ridiculously promising - Laff, Krav, Kakko.. PANARIN.

And then the defense, Great to have size with Trouba and Miller.. Those guy cover so much ground. lingren plays the right way. FOX. EVEN moreeeee prospects on top..

A particularly spectacular young goalie. are you kidding me?

It's crazy. They're going to make moves. The team can't stay the way it is with overflow of talent and also taking the step competitively. At this point, outside of Laff, fox, Shest.. I just shrug my shoulder at who ever is moved and who ever comes in. Watch the young guys continue to play better and eventually dominate. Or not. whatever. should be pretty exciting.

stream of consciousness. Peace out.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Strongly disagree with this, at least that they did this with any sort of consistency last season. I agree that getting "tougher" in a classic sense should not be a priority - though if it comes with an otherwise good player, it is a bonus. I do however think that the NYR need to diversify their lineup and get "tougher to play against" specifically by developing the ability to play a grinding game when called upon. Tampa for example can absolutely do that, it's what makes them so hard to beat.

That dimension is IMO what the 2021 NYR were really lacking and gets exposed in certain types of games and/or against certain types of opponents. Can that improve with a coaching change? I think and hope so. But I think there is a need to switch up some skill sets as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Toronto’s biggest problem is too much money tied up in too few players. It hampers them from making corrections in other areas. Their weakness against Montreal was they could not defend nearly as well and Montreal is playing the Islanders game—they’re willing to win 2-1 and they shut down Toronto’s big guns. This is the grind game that playoffs very often turn into where very often the brightest stars do not shine.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Strongly disagree with this, at least that they did this with any sort of consistency last season. I agree that getting "tougher" in a classic sense should not be a priority - though if it comes with an otherwise good player, it is a bonus. I do however think that the NYR need to diversify their lineup and get "tougher to play against" specifically by developing the ability to play a grinding game when called upon. Tampa for example can absolutely do that, it's what makes them so hard to beat.

That dimension is IMO what the 2021 NYR were really lacking and gets exposed in certain types of games and/or against certain types of opponents. Can that improve with a coaching change? I think and hope so. But I think there is a need to switch up some skill sets as well.
I think you’re missing that our kids are really those “tough to play against” types of players. They just need seasoning. none of our kids aside from fox and Jones are really undersized.
I agree that we need to diversify our game, and be able to play a tougher one as opposed to relying on scoring from the perimeter. But our skilled kids can score those.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Strome gone for a two way center that can be trusted for late game D zone draws and brings a little grit, along with continued maturation of the kids will go a long way on its own. Wholesale changes the remake the roster in the name of “toughness” would be a huge mistake.

There is plenty of latent toughness on this roster. Switching Strome out for someone in that mold, and rebuilding the fourth line to be something with an identity instead of just guys that aren’t good enough for top six minutes is the direction.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad