Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2021 Offseason) - Hold them horses, only 45 days left until the draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Strongly disagree with this, at least that they did this with any sort of consistency last season. I agree that getting "tougher" in a classic sense should not be a priority - though if it comes with an otherwise good player, it is a bonus. I do however think that the NYR need to diversify their lineup and get "tougher to play against" specifically by developing the ability to play a grinding game when called upon. Tampa for example can absolutely do that, it's what makes them so hard to beat.

That dimension is IMO what the 2021 NYR were really lacking and gets exposed in certain types of games and/or against certain types of opponents. Can that improve with a coaching change? I think and hope so. But I think there is a need to switch up some skill sets as well.

The Tuffness/Grindiness will mostly sort itself out naturally. It looks bad when a team of 20 year olds play against a team of 30 year olds, that's to be expected. In four years time that will be a match up of 24 year olds vs 34 year olds and the game will look completely different. That said, there are definitely balance issues on the roster that the Rangers now have a fantastic opportunity to fix, also long term.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY

rnZ1eCc.jpg

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Strome gone for a two way center that can be trusted for late game D zone draws and brings a little grit, along with continued maturation of the kids will go a long way on its own. Wholesale changes the remake the roster in the name of “toughness” would be a huge mistake.

There is plenty of latent toughness on this roster. Switching Strome out for someone in that mold, and rebuilding the fourth line to be something with an identity instead of just guys that aren’t good enough for top six minutes is the direction.

This. And fix depth on D. Smith isn't that much and Hajek was not NHL material really. I was impressed with the Blues' Mikkola in the playoffs, he played an XXL game and handled the physical side with ease, someone like that to help the kids out with the physical side until they've grown a size or two would help.

Reactions: egelband

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Mika when he’s on plays a solid 2 way game. A lot of his lapses this year are likely due to covid. Once you could see his recovery we saw a huge jump in his defensive game.
also Eichel isn’t entirely a finished product, he’s been in the nhl for 5 years and never even sniffed the playoffs, a new team could absolutely cause him to focus more defensively and become more well rounded. he’s big and strong, he has the tools necessary to play at least average defensively.

I mean its certainly possible, but if our top 2 were Eichel/Mika then I hope our bottom 2 are defensive first centers where we can use them to match up

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Strome gone for a two way center that can be trusted for late game D zone draws and brings a little grit, along with continued maturation of the kids will go a long way on its own. Wholesale changes the remake the roster in the name of “toughness” would be a huge mistake.

There is plenty of latent toughness on this roster. Switching Strome out for someone in that mold, and rebuilding the fourth line to be something with an identity instead of just guys that aren’t good enough for top six minutes is the direction.

This is one reason why I think Hertl would be a good choice (depends on price + extension price only way I do it). He adds size, some grit, but also has skill and he's very good on face offs (career 53% while being 55% this year). He's a better 2 way version of Strome and wont cost any of the top kids (Laff, Kakko, Krav). I'm looking for ways to upgrade without giving up a Kakko or Lafraniere (unless its Mcdavid no lol). I also like that he can play wing as well so versatile

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t agree with that, but it is definitely a sliding doors moment

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I continue to believe that Dvorak is the appropriate option if you are looking to replace Strome with a better two-way and faceoff center. He's about to start getting a lot more base salary, Arizona is probably stuck looking at another rebuild. He's young, and on a very reasonable long term contract for a 2C.

Jones for Dvorak could be a starting point.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Would Vegas trade Stephenson? He's got a nice contract 3 more years at 2.75M so prob not.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trotz didn’t have the Caps playing boring trap hockey did he?
No, but he did get Ovechkin to buy into playing defense.

I honestly refuse to believe the Islanders are significantly better than the Rangers anywhere except on the bench (which sets the tone for their identity).

Reactions: NewLife

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
No, but he did get Ovechkin to buy into playing defense.

I honestly refuse to believe the Islanders are significantly better than the Rangers anywhere except on the bench (which sets the tone for their identity).
I mean if any individual in any organization in any sport sets the tone it's Lou and last I checked he's with the Islanders.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean if any individual in any organization in any sport sets the tone it's Lou and last I checked he's with the Islanders.
And Trotz is his new Lemaire. The more this change, the more this stay the same. The Islanders win off the ice before they win on the ice. The biggest disparity between the teams is front office and coaching

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He's gonna get paid. It's funny both him and Brett Connolly with similar careers. High first round picks that never became stars but very useful and clutch character players.

yea that’s my worry on all UFAs. Maybe Covids flat cap keeps some costs down again though

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
yea that’s my worry on all UFAs. Maybe Covids flat cap keeps some costs down again though
The high end guys will get paid, the medium end guys will get squeezed and the low end guys will take minimum anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad