Sep 11, 2015
NJ
HFNYR responses:
TK0WSLH.jpg

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He strikes me more as the Fast type. Can be a 3rd liner, is best as a 4th liner. I like him too though.

Tanev is good but he's another one that is almost surely going to be overpaid. Donskoi/Connolly have some more offensive ability and in the case of Donskoi I could see him coming relatively cheap. He's been a healthy scratch in some of the playoff games but he is a productive scorer, has great possession numbers, and there is some potential there.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Connolly and Donskoi are the RH shots we need in the bumper spot on the PP. Have Kakko and Zibanejad as the shooters on the wall, ADA up top and a playmaker down by the net/goaline who can make that pass to the hashmark. As long as the cost isn't ridiculous I would be on board with signing either.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Tanev is good but he's another one that is almost surely going to be overpaid. Donskoi/Connolly have some more offensive ability and in the case of Donskoi I could see him coming relatively cheap. He's been a healthy scratch in some of the playoff games but he is a productive scorer, has great possession numbers, and there is some potential there.

Tanev has never scored 30 points in his career. I’m not sure how much he’s going to get overpaid, but even if he is, it’ll be like 500k-1m which is hardly a big deal.

Of the 4 guys I mentioned, he’s definitely the lowest on my list.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There are a bunch of 2nd line types in their 20s available.

Nyquist
Dzingel
Hayes
Nelson
Lee

We’re still saying no on them, right? (Though I know @Machinehead would trade a kidney to bring in Lee)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Tanev has never scored 30 points in his career. I’m not sure how much he’s going to get overpaid, but even if he is, it’ll be like 500k-1m which is hardly a big deal.

I consider it a big deal in terms of just being a waste of a roster spot. Beacause you come back to the point where you can have like...Strome Namestnikov Tanvev for 10M total or you can just have Panarin+ELC+ELC for like 13M. (Or Kreider+3M split between two guys for 10M). It's very hard for the depth to come out ahead in that kind of situation.

Reactions: TheBPA

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

For me, I’d prefer to go really short term if we are looking for 3rd or 4th line guys. Boyle. Wilson. Bellemare. Maybe they can find a guy who a team is looking to jettison with a year or so left like Clifford.

If this years UFA is anything like last year, a guy like Tanev will get 4 years.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I consider it a big deal in terms of just being a waste of a roster spot. Beacause you come back to the point where you can have like...Strome Namestnikov Tanvev for 10M total or you can just have Panarin+ELC+ELC for like 13M. (Or Kreider+3M split between two guys for 10M). It's very hard for the depth to come out ahead in that kind of situation.

Well, sure. But they’re trading Kreider to continue the youth movement and this discussion is more in my head where the Rangers do go after Panarin, but he signs elsewhere.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Well, sure. But they’re trading Kreider to continue the youth movement and this discussion is more in my head where the Rangers do go after Panarin, but he signs elsewhere.

Sorry I mean given the scenario where you could sign a player like Kreider as a FA. I am very much on board with trading him for good assets and then spending the money elsewhere as opposed to signing him to an expensive long term deal. The only thing with those guys is I really wouldn't want to go more than like two, maybe three years, on any of them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
For me, I’d prefer to go really short term if we are looking for 3rd or 4th line guys. Boyle. Wilson. Bellemare. Maybe they can find a guy who a team is looking to jettison with a year or so left like Clifford.

If this years UFA is anything like last year, a guy like Tanev will get 4 years.

Right. Tanev brings other guys like that into the conversation. Ferland, Donskoi, and Connolly are clearly a step up which is where I’d focus if it were me.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sorry I mean given the scenario where you could sign a player like Kreider as a FA. I am very much on board with trading him for good assets and then spending the money elsewhere as opposed to signing him to an expensive long term deal. The only thing with those guys is I really wouldn't want to go more than like two, maybe three years, on any of them.

Gotcha. I wouldn’t be opposed to medium term on the right player, but I don’t think you’re getting that with any of the 2nd line types.

Although... if a lot of these guys really do make it to July 1 (they won’t all make it), it may drive down prices and terms. It’s also probably worth it to remember that when we get to draft day and Kreider doesn’t have the value we hoped.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Gotcha. I wouldn’t be opposed to medium term on the right player, but I don’t think you’re getting that with any of the 2nd line types.

Although... if a lot of these guys really do make it to July 1 (they won’t all make it), it may drive down prices and terms. It’s also probably worth it to remember that when we get to draft day and Kreider doesn’t have the value we hoped.

I would just take whatever the best offer is even if it's less than we were expecting. I doubt the offers will get much better as we approach the deadline since he is more valuable playing 82 games than 20 (plus extra time to try and re-sign him), we can easily retain money on the deal if needed, and if the team actually isn't "trying to win" it's better to not have him on the team for that. That said...I'm on board with trading him and allocating the money to Panarin instead. Plus it helps you plan for long term better and you get more information by having the kids/whoever we sign play up in the lineup early rather than forcing them into a low ice time/minimal PP role. It's unfortunately because I really like him as a player but I can't see any way that extending him is a good idea.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He strikes me more as the Fast type. Can be a 3rd liner, is best as a 4th liner. I like him too though.

A much more aggressive version of Jesper Fast. Good penalty killer---he hits anything that moves. Top 5 hits in the league I would think. We haven't had a forward who hit as much as him since Adam Graves. Not a penalty taking machine either.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
The rangers could resign Kreider and sign a guy like donskoi and most of the board would be comfortable with that. Yet that cost would be about equal to panarin. Can’t we just sign him and trade Kreider instead?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
for anyone tired of using trouba as the example of the type of big, top 4 RHD dman between the ages of 25-27 that we should be looking to acquire. I will also accept dougie hamilton as an answer

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I'd be willing to overpay (even drastically overpay) for middle 6ers on 1-2 year deals. I don't particularly want to tie up middle 6 forward spots 3+ year deals even if they're not bad value wise.

We have no shortage of young guys who are extremely likely to be at least middle 6 players. Howden, Lias, Chytil, Lemieux to start. Already have (for now) Vesey, Strome, Namestnikov, Fast. Good chance of another 1st round forward from this draft (in addition to Kakko). Of course, still have Zibby as a first liner, Buch as at least a second liner with potential for more if he continues to grow and gain consistency, Kakko as someone who will almost definitely be a first liner probably in 2020, and Kravtsov who has a good shot at being a first liner.

I'd like to keep some flexibility to allow the kids to grow. I'm all for signing good/high quality stop-gaps to provide leadership and shelter the kids/prevent them from playing above their heads. And I'm willing to overpay in AAV to make it happen. But I don't want to hurt long-term flexibility to do so.

I'm vehemently against signing Panarin, but I'd much rather sign a Panarin to a 7 year deal than a Ferland/Connolly to a 4/5 year deal.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
IF we do indeed draft Kakko, the team would have a skilled top 6 that can play a fairly heavy puck control game -- minus a legit 2C. (until a youngster can fill that role one day).

That said, something I haven't heard discussed much is how drafting Kakko has most likely shifted the Rangers larger plan. If they were drafting btw 3-10 then I think they'd have focused on a center of the future. That player might have been 1-2 years away.

But if they add Kakko and don't pick til around 20, then even if they pick a center, that player is most likely 2 or 3 years away from meaningful NHL games.

So, the first question the Rangers will need to address if Kakko is picked is who plays 2C the next 2 years? Do you let a kid suffer through big growing pains there? Do you put Strome there? Do you find another UFA stopgap? Do you look at Hayes knowing you'll need to sign him for more years than you might want him for? Knowing that contract may not look very good in 2 or 3 years?

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
Honestly if we take KK I’d bring back purple Hayes. 6x6 if he’ll take it (maybe not enough). Don’t go after anymore FAs and keep it going. I think Fast will get extended, I trust JG on whatever he’s going to do with CK. I hope Pionk is scuttled to the bottom of the sound and we can give TDA that top 1RD ice time next year- i think he’ll break out big time.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad