Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Their coach loves him, he and Bob would make them instant contenders rather than a bubble team.

If he’s not much better than Hoffman, why should we give him $9-10m for 7 years?
Because Hoffman himself is probably a 7-8M dollar player based on his production. Panarin is definitely the better player though in all facets of the game except maybe shooting the puck. And I think Bob alone would make them a contender, that's how bad their goaltending is.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Their coach loves him, he and Bob would make them instant contenders rather than a bubble team.

If he’s not much better than Hoffman, why should we give him $9-10m for 7 years?
Who said he's not much better than Hoffman? Hoffman puts up great numbers on the PP. Top6 winger is not a position of need for FLA. If they trade Hoffman for defensive help, it'd make more sense. Offense wasn't their issue though.

How much do you think Hoffman is going to get in a years time?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hoffman is 29 years old and has basically been a 50-60 point player his whole career. We don’t think Chytil is going to reach that relatively early in his career?
I mentioned Chytil for Huberdeau.

Would not give up anywhere close to that for Hoffman

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't take Ferland at league minimum. Very likely he breaks down.

Fair enough. What are your thoughts on Donskoi or Connolly?

And keep in mind, this is all IF we trade Kreider, don’t sign Panarin, and don’t bring in another forward via trade.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I wouldn't take Ferland at league minimum. Very likely he breaks down.
Yes you would, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Otherwise, you're just being hyperbolic to prove a point.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

And keep in mind, this is all IF we trade Kreider, don’t sign Panarin, and don’t bring in another forward via trade.
Donskoi at 3/3.5M or less, Connolly similar. I'd trade Strome and replace him with either of them.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Honestly I had no idea Connolly scored 46 points. That actually seems like a very interesting depth target. His scoring rates are actually really good over the last 3 seasons. I like Donskoi as well though don't like his distaste for shooting.

And I like Ferland as a player but I think he's the type of guy who will get way overpaid. I can see him being in the Ladd/Backes mold as he ages.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’d look into Ferland for sure. Guy can play and add something that’s incredibly unique in today’s NHL. 4 years I’m good with. The Rangers are going to have a whole bunch of young players on ELC’s. 4 years of anyone is easily do-able with the cap. The added benefit of Ferland is that he can play anywhere in the lineup and add something that the young skilled kids probably won’t bring Day 1 if ever.

It’s the same reason I was gung ho for Lemieux. They can play the game, add offense and be a PIA to play against while sticking up for their teammates

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Honestly I had no idea Connolly scored 46 points. That actually seems like a very interesting depth target. His scoring rates are actually really good over the last 3 seasons. I like Donskoi as well though don't like his distaste for shooting.

And I like Ferland as a player but I think he's the type of guy who will get way overpaid. I can see him being in the Ladd/Backes mold as he ages.

Ladd and Backes had 3x the NHL mileage that Ferland does at the time of their UFA deals.

He very well may be overpaid though, that I agree with.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Ferland doesn’t have the same miles on his body as Backes or Ladd. Both of whom were effective until just past 30. Ladd was effective this year when playing. A 4 year deal takes Ferland to 31. About when both Backes and Ladd began to drop off.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ladd and Backes had 3x the NHL mileage that Ferland does at the time of their UFA deals.

He very well may be overpaid though, that I agree with.

Yes, that's true. But he plays a very rough game and has already been in/out of the lineup a lot this year and playing with lingering issues regularly. He seems extremely risky to me for someone that has not exactly put up top level production.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Donskoi at 3/3.5M or less, Connolly similar. I'd trade Strome and replace him with either of them.

I guess it depends on how many of the 12 forwards you think we need to be vets, even if they’re young vets, both for the operation of a team on the ice and some insulation for the youngsters.

In that scenario, they’ve got Zibanejad, Namestnikov, Strome, Vesey, and Fast (who honestly I forget is around at this point). That’s 5, plus a guy who I would consider an established kid in Buchnevich.

I’d be more comfortable with one more, from a depth point of view. 7 guys, plus Chytil, Lemieux, Andersson, Howden, Kravtsov, and Kakko/Hughes... strikes me as a good balance.

Quinn might be exactly the right coach for Donskoi at this stage of his career for that reason.

I get it about Ferland and I had the same thought. Callahan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad