Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXV - Time to say Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
File this one away. Acquire Horton along with other assets from the leafs. $5.5m that runs through next season. Maybe it's a high pick, maybe Nylander for Fast. Depending on their crunch, they may in a position where they can't match an offersheet over the summer.

I thought Horton didn't count against the cap at all?

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
That, and they waited until the RIGHT time to make such a move.

Sorry, it was an ok time to make the Tavares move, but definitely not the best time. If Tavares was available a year earlier, signing him then makes a HUGE difference. As it stands, his contract will still be on the books when Matthews (and likely Marner) are due for new deals. One year earlier, his contract would expire at the same time, they could move on from Tavares and pay M&M on their 3rd contracts.

Which is why, when Panarin / Stone become available this summer, if you get Hughes or Kakko you sign that player now. You need to stagger your big contracts, not have them all on the books at the same time.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
I thought Horton didn't count against the cap at all?

There is like a... pre-season cap. I forgot the exact numbers, but before the season starts you can go above the cap by say... 10%. So Horton counts against that cap, and once the season starts, he goes on LTIR and the cap is reduced from the regular cap.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad