Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXV - Time to say Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Tell you what if I was watching Shattenkirk these past few weeks and needed a righty pp dman I would be all over him. 2 year deal? That’s a homerun for a lot of teams. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s moved.
I doubt he wants to leave tho

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
https://www.tsn.ca/panarin-jumps-to-the-top-of-tsn-s-trade-bait-board-1.1249434

Not sure if posted already but TSN's tradecenter posted their top 45 players for the deadline. Rangers have 5 players on the list.

5) Zucarello
15) Hayes
24) Kreider
35) McQuaid
39) Namestnikov

Where is Kevin Shattenkirk on that TSN list? I believe many thinks he is not moveable based on his modified contract?
- He has not a true NMC like Henrik & Marc Staal so it`s completely up to the player to get moved or not.

Kevin value is all time low at the moment, but it`s a big cap hit for sure going into a rebuild so someone to consider at TDL for Jeff G. And it don`t surprise me if he get moved maybe not at TDL, but in the summer window in 2019 and it depends on the market as well on who is available at the time.

Reactions: Lion Hound

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kovalev27 said:
Tell you what if I was watching Shattenkirk these past few weeks and needed a righty pp dman I would be all over him. 2 year deal? That’s a homerun for a lot of teams. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s moved.

Another one where the Rangers would have to eat some of his salary or get salary going the other way.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
@ZuccsFluffierFluffer
Duchene was coming off of a terrible season, wanted out and was rumored to be on his way out forever

You mean the terrible Duchene season that had more points than all but one of Kreider's. 2 years younger and a center but Kreider is the one just hitting his peak and more valuable. I'm sorry, I disagree. That is essentially calling kreider untouchable and I don't think he is in that category.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
There's such a dearth of right handed defensemen that I'm sure NYR could move Shattenkirk for an okay return, especially if they retain half salary.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
@ZuccsFluffierFluffer

You mean the terrible Duchene season that had more points than all but one of Kreider's. 2 years younger and a center but Kreider is the one just hitting his peak and more valuable. I'm sorry, I disagree. That is essentially calling kreider untouchable and I don't think he is in that category.

Untrue.

Kreider has out produced Duchene that year pretty much every season since he's been a regular in the lineup and hasn't missed significant time, in the 2 seasons where he did miss time, he would have blown passed those numbers and is well on his way to doing it this season.

I'm not arguing who is the better player, but there were circumstances surrounding Duchene that had an effect on his value - He was a player who not only was on the block for literally years, he also demanded a move out after being tired of all the rumors - That doesn't exist here. Plus what a player is doing now (or has been doing for the better part of 2 seasons now) has more impact on said player's value than what they did back in 2015. If that weren't the case, we'd be looking to extend Zucc.

Look at the return EK got, think that he wouldn't have gotten more if he were in a situation that didn't turn toxic both on and off the ice?

Kreider isn't untouchable, but it's going to take more than a 1st and a prospect to get him out of NY. Thats shit you see for high end rental players, not guys with term left.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Toronto seems to be willing to give Liljegren, our right handed d prospect depth is rather shallow. They need current help at the NHL level on the right side, I wonder if a deal could be made there

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Toronto seems to be willing to give Liljegren, our right handed d prospect depth is rather shallow. They need current help at the NHL level on the right side, I wonder if a deal could be made there
Doubt they add something that would cost Liljgren now that they got Muzzin. I can see a smaller mover like McQuaid

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Doubt they add something that would cost Liljgren now that they got Muzzin. I can see a smaller mover like McQuaid

yea thats what Im thinking too but, I was reading they want a dollar in dollar out type of situation we have 2 younger guys on expiring elc's. I know its a long shot but just floating the idea out to see what others think

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@ZuccsFluffierFluffer

How about the fact that the whole league knew that Colorado had to move Duchene while the Rangers absolutely don't have to move Kreider?

Reactions: Ori

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If Hayes leaves, I'd be more than happy to offer Duchene a contract. ( dependent on term )

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
How about the fact that the whole league knew that Colorado had to move Duchene while the Rangers absolutely don't have to move Kreider?

Yes a good point - Jeff is not in a hurry with him and he is about to have a record season - so still two years remaining on his old contract.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Where is Kevin Shattenkirk on that TSN list? I believe many thinks he is not moveable based on his modified contract?
- He has not a true NMC like Henrik & Marc Staal so it`s completely up to the player to get moved or not.

Kevin value is all time low at the moment, but it`s a big cap hit for sure going into a rebuild so someone to consider at TDL for Jeff G. And it don`t surprise me if he get moved maybe not at TDL, but in the summer window in 2019 and it depends on the market as well on who is available at the time.

I feel pretty confident in saying that Shattenkirk won't get moved at the deadline, and I doubt he will be moved in the summer either. It's possible, but I think the time to move him will be in the summer of 2020. Maybe at next year's deadline if he can rebuild his value enough.

All of Shatty, Staal and Smith have 2 years remaining on their contracts. All of them have signing bonuses and a lower base salary in the final year. Any or all of them could be potential targets for cap floor teams.

Shattenkirk
Cap Hit: 6.65 mil
2020 Base Salary: 2 mil
Actual Money Savings: 4.65 mil

Staal
Cap Hit: 5.7 mil
2020 Base Salary: 3.2 mil
Actual Money Savings: 2.5 mil

Smith
Cap Hit: 4.35 mil
2020 Base Salary: 2.35 mil
Actual Money Savings: 2 mil

Of the three, Smith will be the hardest to dump because he offers the least savings and he is the worst player, right now. I don't see a reason to buy any of them out. Worst case scenario, they all ride out their contracts and then walk.

If we were to buy out the final year of Smith's contract, his cap hits would be:

2020-21: $2,783,333
2021-22: $783,333

If we send him to Hartford for that final year, his cap hit would be:

2020-21: $3,300,000

It's not really a significant savings. We'd be better off to just bury him than to incur a cap penalty in 2021-22.

Reactions: Ori

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Whats with the Jesper Fast hate? He is the very definition of a solid, safe player. Coaches love that.

I understand people want to throw a train wreck like Buchnevich out there every night because hes got some flash to his game, but best to understand that there is value in the Fasts of the world, especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: mrhockey193195
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad