Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXV - Time to say Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I think he plays both the C and Wing? But I would be lying if I said I knew for sure.

I definitely see your point with giving up two firsts, but Marner will be 22 in May...I would give up two firsts for an elite, proven young player like him.
He's been hitched to Tavares wing all year and last year he spent most of his time playing with Bozak and JVR. And yes Marner is one of the best young players in the league but giving up 2 future firsts when this team still has a ton of holes in it could be disastrous

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Girardi’s relative numbers improved — extremely — much when he left us. If Girardi had been a TBL for life he would be presented as an OK possession driver in the advanced stats thread. And the conclusion would be that while Girardi is an OK possession driver we should really stay away from that Anton Stralman guy because he comes in at CF% 46% and a minus rel CF of just south of 7%...

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Strange contract for the leafs side of things. Huge AAV and they didnt buy out a whole lot of years. Matthews will be getting paid more than twice as much as zibanejad over the next 3 years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With Marner, I sometimes wonder what happens when you get away from an environment like Toronto, which seems to play to his strengths perfectly.

I just have a lot of unease when we start talking about guys, coming from stacked offensive teams where we can almost overlook that they're playing with higher ranking elite players.

Last edited:

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Strange contract for the leafs side of things. Huge AAV and they didnt buy out a whole lot of years. Matthews will be getting paid more than twice as much as zibanejad over the next 3 years.

But part of that is because by the end of this deal the way he is trending Zibs will be the best contract in hockey, on par with the D in Nashville not named Suban.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I don't see any issue with Matthews AAV. Kid is elite PPG+ macking the league up.

Anybody do Nylander for our top-10 first rnd pick?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I do wonder if, on some level, there were some questions about the durability of Matthews and a desire to see how the next half-decade goes.

I don't necessarily view this as a bad deal for Toronto.
I think it's a great deal for Toronto. Square away your franchise player for the market price he was always going to get without the months to years long media circus.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I don't see any issue with Matthews AAV. Kid is elite PPG+ macking the league up.

Anybody do Nylander for our top-10 first rnd pick?
No. Improving the team any more than happens organically before the Staal/Shattenkirk/Smith contracts are in their last year is counterproductive. You can do it then.

Reactions: haveandare

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
With Marner, I sometimes wonder what happens when you get away from an environment like Toronto, which seems to play to his strengths perfectly.

I just have a lot of unease when we start talking about guys, coming from stacked offensive teams where we can almost overlook that they're playing with higher ranking elite players.

I have the same concerns, but Marner did put up 18 points in the 14 games Matthews has missed this year, and 24 points in the 20 games he missed last year. Last year they didn't have Tavares and this year they didn't have Nylander (or if they did, he didn't contribute much). I'd be much less concerned about Marner being a product of the team than Nylander.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
As long as Marner knows someone got his back, he'll be lighting it up. Has he ever been hit hard? Does that impact his game?

Between Nylander and Marner, I think both would do well on other teams.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Leafs f***ed themselves with the Tavares contract.

Shanahan gave Tavares $11M and expects his other guys to take less. Brendan didn't take less in his career. Cap. No cap. It doesn't matter. Good luck getting Marner at their price.

Good luck.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
^^^
It's a good problem to have. If they were using some of their offensive pieces to bring back legit D help, there would be no issue.

Gaudy offensive forwards get the biggest paydays. TOR would save quite a bit of money doing a hockey trade to bring back a similar aged D to one of Marner or Nylander.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
The Leafs ****ed themselves with the Tavares contract.

Shanahan gave Tavares $11M and expects his other guys to take less. Brendan didn't take less in his career. Cap. No cap. It doesn't matter. Good luck getting Marner at their price.

Good luck.

GsJSEuc.gif

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
^^^
It's a good problem to have.
Yeah, let's actually get there and then bemoan the situation. Besides, if that really is an issue, they make for good potential trade options. One can make a deal and get more assets into the organization. Just need to identify which pieces one is willing to move for the right deal.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Great post and I agree, he should be sent to the AHL. Get a bigger role.

But I honestly don’t at all buy that Howden is one of the worst players in the NHL. And in a stronger environment I think he would perform a lot better in those cathegories. I don’t even think a winger can have that much impact on a line/the play on the ice. If it’s anywhere you can carry a player it’s on the wing even if the player sucks.

Like look at Dan Girardi. I am not saying that you trashed him, I don’t remember, many thought he was the worst player in the NHL by far when he played for us.

Two years later he is coming in at CF% 51.5% and ‘only’ a minus rel of 1.5.

Has Girardi improved his game like 10x since he left us? If these metrics are supposed to be as reliable as they are presented — can anyone explain Girardis numbers? Did he improve a ton when he is what 34 y/o?

Serious question - not really directly at you. How many non top 5 or 10 picks out of a Canadian Junior League came straight to the NHL with none/extremely minimal AHL time? I have to imagine it's extremely low. It's hard for me to understand why Howden should be an exception to this because it certainly isn't like he's dominating the league and forcing his way into a big role.

Reactions: Ola

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
A 5 year deal makes Matthews a UFA at 27 and buys only one UFA year. And at that cap hit? Don't know what Toronto is thinking here.
My read is that going longer would have brought the AAV up with the UFA years bought. Marner won't settle for a penny less than Matthew's so Toronto had to thread a needle of keeping the average low while also buying enough years.

Marner's dad has a chip on his shoulder. He goes out of his way to talk to the media and always brings up how Mitch has been the top player at all levels of his career. It eats at him that he isn't viewed on Matthews, McDavid and others. The Marner camp is looking for respect and recognition. He isn't going to be #3 and won't settle for a discount. If it takes an offersheet, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad