Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That's why I prefaced it with that exact question. Is it too much of a cap hit all things considered?

Maybe adding Smith moves the needle slightly. Maybe they add a pick or a cheaper player. Kreider is still a 50 point wing and Draisaitl is a 70 point player. Maybe he's a center. Maybe he's a product of McDavid.

It's a talking point, but at the same time I'd like to put out something realistic for both sides. I can imagine Oiler fans would shout down my basis immediately.

I don't think this is a maybe. Last time I looked, his Draisaitl's stats indicated that he was an above average 2nd line C away from McDavid... making 8 million a year.

I'm not trading Kreider to get back a 2C and taking on one of the WORST contracts in the NHL.

I get where you're coming from, I really do. Draisaitl just is not that guy.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If they don’t plan on offering Nieves a QO does it really matter?

For all we know they are going to swap him for another tweener or throw him in a trade as cheap depth.

I don’t see him getting significant pay raise even if we do keep him to make this an issue. I only see us resigning him if we plan to expose him to the expansion draft anyways.
His value in a trade is low, but significantly more as a pending RFA than as a pending UFA.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He did say the Rangers will be seeking much more than Bowers. A good deal can be made without the OTT 1st or Makar. We’ll see where they stand in a few weeks.

If it’s the Avalanche, how much more is Sakic paying for a rental assuming Bowers is the player being offered by the Avs?

The Rangers have their high IQ way centers in Andersson and Howden.

The Avs own 1st round pick would need to be in the trade. The Rangers aren’t probably getting a first for Zuccarello. They don’t have many other players who can get a 1st in a trade. Gorton would like to add more first and second round picks.

I am a little skeptical of the Avs trading for a rental. Meeting the Rangers asking price for a rental. They are not a Cup contender. Winnipeg traded a 1st to rent Statsny because they are Cup contender. The Avs aren’t there yet.

Kreider would fit the Avs. He is signed for more season. They can re-sign him this summer. $7M AAV for 5-6-7 years. Kreider and Zibanejad can bring back first round picks as part of a trade.

Reactions: cheech70

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I don't think this is a maybe. Last time I looked, his Draisaitl's stats indicated that he was an above average 2nd line C away from McDavid... making 8 million a year.

I'm not trading Kreider to get back a 2C and taking on one of the WORST contracts in the NHL.

I get where you're coming from, I really do. Draisaitl just is not that guy.
That's my impression too. If we had a bad contract with longer term, Smith for 6 more years for example, there is maybe more of an incentive.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I wouldn't be trading for rentals if I'm the Avs. I get they have pressure to make the playoffs because of a streak of bad years, but in they play it right they're going to be in really good shape.

Should have a top 3 pick (OTT) and could have another in the 10-15 range (their own), along with some cap space to fill holes.

I certainly wouldn't be throwing around assets for Hayes next month if I were them.

Reactions: cheech70

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Can GMs execute trades during these breaks or it's like you can't even discuss; which I'm sure many wouldn't follow anyhow.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Nikita Zadorov Freidmans 31 thoughts... he is on the trading block...any good for us as part of Hayes Deal? Another lefty

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
If it’s the Avalanche, how much more is Sakic paying for a rental assuming Bowers is the player being offered by the Avs?

The Rangers have their high IQ way centers in Andersson and Howden.

The Avs own 1st round pick would need to be in the trade. The Rangers aren’t probably getting a first for Zuccarello. They don’t have many other players who can get a 1st in a trade. Gorton would like to add more first and second round picks.

I am a little skeptical of the Avs trading for a rental. Meeting the Rangers asking price for a rental. They are not a Cup contender. Winnipeg traded a 1st to rent Statsny because they are Cup contender. The Avs aren’t there yet.

Kreider would fit the Avs. He is signed for more season. They can re-sign him this summer. $7M AAV for 5-6-7 years. Kreider and Zibanejad can bring back first round picks as part of a trade.
If the Avs don’t continue plummeting, they’d be more likely to make a deal. Their 1st, Jost and the OTT 3rd for Hayes. I’m not ready to move Zib or Kreider quite yet if at all.

Hayes is the only one bringing back a 1st that is definitely being moved. 2nd and a B+ prospect for Zucc. 3rd and some change for McQuaid.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Draisaitl isnt going anywhere.

I predict them taking an Pierre Dorion in about two years. :) Oilers have almost 0 depth scoring while their youngest prospects are rushed into NHL, and their defense is far from great. And somehow they signed a 30 years old goalie - someone named Mikko Koskinen who is this guy? He has a total of 32 NHL games in his whole career and they signed him for 4.5 mil $ and that is ridiculous! It`s like a Disney story, but it all happened some days ago. So they need a major overhaul concerning their pro. scouting staff, and a new contract policy direction. I really don`t know if Mc David is going to stay for this long.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Hayes for Bowers and the Avs 1st I think is bang on for #13 from a Value standpoint.

Weird though...And someone above posted out. Two clubs that have been mentioned frequesntly in trade talks regarding Zucc and Hayes are Avs, and Buff. Not just speculation, but from Beat writers and what not. Both clubs are not really playoff contenders. They both have some nice pieces in the right places, however will they buy rentals? Same for Edmonton. These are the three clubs that have been mentioned most.

Surprised Nashville, Winnepeg, Toronto, Tampa haven't been mentioned more often. Would think those are the clubs looking to buy the rental player for the run.

Reactions: bl02 and Ori
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad