Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
200w.gif

You don't like that reference? :laugh:

If anyone could clean house it was him...

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Nieves has played well recently. It’s just bad asset management to let him walk for nothing by not playing him x games.

Bad asset management? This is overly dramatic. This isn't a board room, lets relax with the jargon. Asset management? Nieves has shown a bit of late, and (still) has minimal value. His draft spot does not mean a thing. Asset management? Playoffs?

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Larry Brooks is the Marc Staal of NY journalism. He's been around so long, that people just accept what he does and don't think it's necessary to check anything he does.

Is Brooks partially blind as well?

On a serious note, I think it's quite possible Staal has been more steady because his vision has improved? We'll never know, but he played like he wasn't able to see - perhaps because he actually could not see..

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Larry Brooks is the Marc Staal of NY journalism. He's been around so long, that people just accept what he does and don't think it's necessary to check anything he does.

But I would also like to say that Brooks is unique and by far the best in the entire business in many areas, besides having the fault you point at.

Compare him to like the TSN guys, Dreger, McKenzie and co. I remember when the news broke about extremely inappropriate letters and they were supposed to discuss it on one of their panels. Nobody said anything, everyone sat there being uncomfortable and -- only -- made a few remarks each defending Soupy. Lashing out on individual referees for calling a de facto high stick on his son since the player being highsticked 'sold it'. All that these guys can do is nod in agreement with what everyone does and then add something that makes it sound smart. Next to them they will have one extreme clown that says stupid things, to which they can counter with what -- in perspective -- sound brilliant. They don't even have it in them to ever step out and call someone out for anything, unless its a player having done something really stupid or something like that.

Brooks speaks his mind and digs into cans of worms nobody else would ever dream at looking at.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yeah, it's not just the screw up on the 2nd round pick.

2,612,500 is not 50% of 4.35 million.

He then goes on to say that a buyout following this year would result in cap hits for the next 4 years, but he lists 5 different cap hits.

I saw all 3 of these mistakes just by reading what RB posted. How the hell did no one at the Post see it? They don't even need to know hockey, just basic math.

b/c they don't have enough editors. cheaper to repost 20 pages of pictures of the Kardashian family rather than paying people to work

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Boy, as much as I'd love to keep beating the dead horse and just spend more pages of the roster building thread on the Post and Brooks, I'm going to impose and bring it back on topic.

Let's do a reality check on this hypothetical base: Draisaitl and Lucic for Kreider. Who adds to balance the scales? Is it just entirely too much cap to eat?

Personally, I think Lucic's cap is too much to risk Draisaitl not being able to live up to his salary on his own.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Boy, as much as I'd love to keep beating the dead horse and just spend more pages of the roster building thread on the Post and Brooks, I'm going to impose and bring it back on topic.

Let's do a reality check on this hypothetical base: Draisaitl and Lucic for Kreider. Who adds to balance the scales? Is it just entirely too much cap to eat?

Personally, I think Lucic's cap is too much to risk Draisaitl not being able to live up to his salary on his own.

Why? how does this move in any way make the Rangers better?

Reactions: bernmeister

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
And now I see why this thread dies and we end up discussing Brooks and sather moves.

If you're for trading Kreider (or Hayes) because of age and what the next deal will pay them, how is adding $15 million per year in salary between two players improving this team? Lucic is a mess. I'm all for taking on salary, but is Draistaitl that much of an improvement over Kreider where it's worth $8 million more per year (assuming Kreider signs a $7 million deal)? Why not take that $6 million they'd waste on Lucic and get a better player?

If they want the Rangers to take that contract, they better be adding their 1st this year and next year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Bad asset management? This is overly dramatic. This isn't a board room, lets relax with the jargon. Asset management? Nieves has shown a bit of late, and (still) has minimal value. His draft spot does not mean a thing. Asset management? Playoffs?
Losing the negotiating rights to ANY decent player over one game, is bad asset management. It’s just like when chicago mailed their QOs that one year instead of faxing them and they all became UFAs, requiring significantly larger offers to retain. It’s just dumb and completely preventable. It’s not about whether or not Nieves should stay.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This board has an obsession with dime a dozen players like Oscar Lindberg and Boo Nieves. They have almost no value in the grand scheme of things and every team has several players like them.

I both agree and disagree. Most teams have them and then some, but when you don't have them -- and that is not that uncommon either -- it can definitely sink a team too.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Losing the negotiating rights to ANY decent player over one game, is bad asset management. It’s just like when chicago mailed their QOs that one year instead of faxing them and they all became UFAs, requiring significantly larger offers to retain. It’s just dumb and completely preventable. It’s not about whether or not Nieves should stay.
If they don’t plan on offering Nieves a QO does it really matter?

For all we know they are going to swap him for another tweener or throw him in a trade as cheap depth.

I don’t see him getting significant pay raise even if we do keep him to make this an issue. I only see us resigning him if we plan to expose him to the expansion draft anyways.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
If you're for trading Kreider (or Hayes) because of age and what the next deal will pay them, how is adding $15 million per year in salary between two players improving this team? Lucic is a mess. I'm all for taking on salary, but is Draistaitl that much of an improvement over Kreider where it's worth $8 million more per year (assuming Kreider signs a $7 million deal)? Why not take that $6 million they'd waste on Lucic and get a better player?

If they want the Rangers to take that contract, they better be adding their 1st this year and next year.
That's why I prefaced it with that exact question. Is it too much of a cap hit all things considered?

Maybe adding Smith moves the needle slightly. Maybe they add a pick or a cheaper player. Kreider is still a 50 point wing and Draisaitl is a 70 point player. Maybe he's a center. Maybe he's a product of McDavid.

It's a talking point, but at the same time I'd like to put out something realistic for both sides. I can imagine Oiler fans would shout down my basis immediately.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ

Good thing we're just talking about Boo Nieves then

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
That's why I prefaced it with that exact question. Is it too much of a cap hit all things considered?

Maybe adding Smith moves the needle slightly. Maybe they add a pick or a cheaper player. Kreider is still a 50 point wing and Draisaitl is a 70 point player. Maybe he's a center. Maybe he's a product of McDavid.

It's a talking point, but at the same time I'd like to put out something realistic for both sides. I can imagine Oiler fans would shout down my basis immediately.

I guess Kreider and Draisatil as the main component of the deal could make sense for both teams? We get younger, Edmonton gets faster, bigger? Maybe they find that consistent winger for McDavid. What concerns me is what else the Rangers would have to give up to make this happen, seems like the Oilers would want a 1st round pick back as well. Maybe they add Zucc? But he won't stay there after the season ends. I don't think they should be adding to any deal unless the return is for a bonafide top pairing defenseman. Kreider's contract status would be problematic for Edmonton, doubt he would forego free agency after the 2020 season to stay in Edmonton. Personally, I don't think a cap dump compels Edmonton to pull the trigger.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What is the alternative to Neives, the next Stoll, Halpern?

It's not that it's the biggest deal, yet there are no advantages to the Rangers from him becoming a UFA instead of remaining a RFA.

Should he walk it just means the Rangers need to find someone else who is a dime a dozen or already past even really being that, or worse, or Glass/Powe, or whatever.

Reactions: Avery16

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
BSN Denver’s Adrian Dater reported that Rangers scouts consistently tailed the Avalanche over the last little while. Unless that’s something Colorado would want the Rangers to take from their roster to facilitate, say, a Kevin Hayes trade, I don't think New York's primary interests would be at the NHL level.The obvious connection is Shane Bowers, who Rangers’ bench boss David Quinn coached at Boston University. But the Rangers will be seeking much more. The Avalanche will zealously protect their most appealing draft assets.

The Rangers don't need one more high IQ two-way center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad