Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I believe that our window of contention opens during the 2021-22 season; the year following the expiration of the Staal, Smith, Shatty, and Lundqvist contracts, and directly following the expansion draft.

Zibanejad will be on an expiring contract with a NTC. I've recently come around on the idea of trading him due to this fact. I would rather have a 23 year old Necas for the 21-22 season, for the sake of argument. If Zbad and Hayes were both expiring this year, I would resign Mika. But right now, I would rather trade them both. Kreider is the only keeper over 25 in my eyes.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes, I understand what futures are. Are you envisioning a Johansen for Jones type of trade? Because guess what? Jones was essentially a future too. He was in his D+3. Necas is in his D+2.

I did say Necas+ and I meant that plus to be significant.

Bad asset management isn’t trading players for good value, even if that value is in futures. Bad asset management is trading players for poor value or losing them for no value.

Too much risk for my taste if Zibanejad is the centerpiece for Necas. Would be much more tolerable if it’s either Kreider or Hayes but in both cases there should be + coming from the Canes.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I believe that our window of contention opens during the 2021-22 season; the year following the expiration of the Staal, Smith, Shatty, and Lundqvist contracts, and directly following the expansion draft.

Zibanejad will be on an expiring contract with a NTC. I've recently come around on the idea of trading him due to this fact. I would rather have a 23 year old Necas for the 21-22 season, for the sake of argument. If Zbad and Hayes were both expiring this year, I would resign Mika. But right now, I would rather trade them both. Kreider is the only keeper over 25 in my eyes.
If our window of contention is opening in 21-22, why would you want a 23 year old instead of a 1C entering their prime?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
To me if I’m entertaining moving Zib it’s if I think the forward talent at the top of the draft this year is too much to pass up, and along with the depth in the system need to look outside the org to acquire a top-pairing D.

A Makar, Brannstrom level prospect. I think Zib has a better/equivalent chance of being just as productive as Necas over the next 5ish years.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@Filthy Dangles , you’re severely undervaluing Zibanejad in your comparison to Kadri (not related but Hayes might have been a better comparison in terms of value). But even in case of a Kadri in the context of Matthews and Tavares being slotted ahead of him Toronto chose to hold on to him coming out of their rebuild.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Kreider thing, I guess I just will never get it.

I just have trouble envisioning that a winger will be a better fit than a 2 year younger center at that point in the future.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There's Necas again. Let's wait and see what he turns into first and if Carolina even wants to trade him

He's an extremely talented kid. Odds are good that if you wait to see what he turns into then you'll just be left wishing you had the foresight to trade for him, because he won't be available then.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's an extremely talented kid. Odds are good that if you wait to see what he turns into then you'll just be left wishing you had the foresight to trade for him, because he won't be available then.

I read today that he is one of 3 players Carolina does not want to trade. I highly doubt he is available.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
If our window of contention is opening in 21-22, why would you want a 23 year old instead of a 1C entering their prime?
Because Zbad will likely command a 6-8 year contract, and will have a NTC. I'd rather give Kreider that 7ish year contract at a younger age than Zbad will be.

I read today that he is one of 3 players Carolina does not want to trade. I highly doubt he is available.
If there is no 20ish year-old comparable, then sure...keep Mika and hope he'll resign for 5ish years instead of 7ish. I would just rather proceed on more than "hope."

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Because Zbad will likely command a 6-8 year contract, and will have a NTC. I'd rather give Kreider that 7ish year contract at a younger age than Zbad will be.

If there is no 20ish year-old comparable, then sure...keep Mika and hope he'll resign for 5ish years instead of 7ish. I would just rather proceed on more than "hope."
But Kreider will be older in 21-22 than Zibanejad would be, and his output is lower right now than Zibanejad's. If the objective is to have the better player available for our "competition window", and the choice is Kreider vs Zibanejad, it seems Zibanejad is the way to go. We also don't know what Zibanejad'd next contract will look like.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

In 2021 Zibanejad will be 28. That's a perfect age for a 1st or 2nd line center for a team trying to contend. Why trade him away? Younger is not always better.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“Kevin Hayes, there’s a lot of interest,” stated Friedman. “He’s a center, he’s played pretty well this year. I don’t think the Rangers are going to have any difficulty moving Kevin Hayes; and as a matter of fact, they’ll probably be able to have a bit of an auction for him.

“I think one of the things they’re going to wait to see, though, is - for example - is Duchene available. And if he’s not, boy, that drives up the price for Hayes a lot.

“Jeff Gorton is a guy who likes to wait, and I think some other availability could determine what the situation is with Kevin Hayes.”

Hayes is on a one-year, $5.175 million contract and can become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

“As for Zuccarello, he’s started to heat up,” continued Friedman. “David Quinn had an interesting comment about him the other day. He talked about how Zuccarello - and Zuccarello has admitted that not being signed by the Rangers took a really emotional toll on him. He loves being a Ranger. Sort of like we talked about with Simmonds.

“But he’s going to get traded. He’s starting to play well. He’s got a proven playoff history. Last year they traded Grabner for a second and a prospect - I think that’s kind of what they’ve looked for.

“I believe that you guys at least looked at it. I don’t know that you’re going to do it. And I don’t think you guys are doing somebody like him for a first-round pick or a Puljujarvi. I think if you doing that, it’s for somebody with team control.

“But I’ll tell you this: I’ve watched a lot of Mats Zuccarello over the years. I realize he’s a little bit older now. You could do a hell of a lot worse than him over a short run and a playoff run.”

The Rangers were asking for #1 for Grabner at the beginning but they accepted a 2nd and Rykov. The 2nd was used to move up for Miller.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
In 2021 Zibanejad will be 28. That's a perfect age for a 1st or 2nd line center for a team trying to contend. Why trade him away? Younger is not always better.
I'm not #TeamTradeZibanejad but I disagree that 28 is the perfect age for a team hopefully starting their contention window.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Should? If they get less or equal to Grabner its a failure...

I don't know about that.

Lets see what the actual final market is. Last years market was pretty shallow, this year looks like it may be a bit more plentiful.

Simmons/Stone/Nyquist (who has term left I think) are all superior options.

I don't believe for a second Panarin is getting traded. We'll see what happens with Ferland (who I'd probably slot ahead of Zucc too), I could see the Canes self renting him.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad