Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXI - Let's make a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
But that was my argument from the beginning. These were young kids and that having the veteran presence would insulate them and be an insurance policy, for cheap, at the same time. I mean realistically, did we think all of Kravtsov/Lias/Kakko/Chytil would all be playing in the top 9? Because thats where they would have to play, not the 4th, although thats where Lias ended up. Kravtsov went back to russia eventually. Chytil was sent to Hartford. Boyle could have been the 4th line center who moved up and down the lineup as needed with those roster moves and injuries. Yes I hoped all could* make it but nowhere near realistic that they would. And now were paying for it dearly in the standings.

A playoff appearance would be just as vital to the young team’s progression.

And by no means was Boo Nieves was a guarantee.

I would have liked 1 more veteran but that also assumes a veteran would like to sign with a rebuilding team knowing the team has many young players who would get he benefit of the doubt over them all season and likely be traded at the deadline.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I would have liked 1 more veteran but that also assumes a veteran would like to sign with a rebuilding team knowing the team has many young players who would get he benefit of the doubt over them all season and likely be traded at the deadline.
Yep. Also the cap was a huge issue over the summer.and the Panarin situation had to play out before the team did anything else to fine tune.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I’m not sure if Kreider quite fits into the mold of past desires to just trade someone and hoard picks.

I think there’s a pretty wide understanding of the fiscal implications of the Kreider situation and that simply jettisoning Skjei off the team doesn’t exactly do wonders for a left defense that is already shaky at best.

Edge - I’ve seen far too much of Skjei to conclude he’s not a winning player. First line D? The physical traits are there but he doesn’t check the boxes I’m looking for. I’m not losing Kreider in order to retain Skjei...I’ll refrain from further expounding on Buchnevich, as my feelings there are well documented.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
What would you think of Brenden Dillon?
I think his body is gonna fall apart a couple years into his contract. He's also gonna get north of $5M which isn't what it used to be but also not what I want to spend on Brendan Dillon. His numbers look good at first glance though and I wouldn't be angry about it.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Would this be a good deal? Read it on another board

Jeremy Bracco, Dmytro Timashov, and a 3rd round pick in exchange for Alexandar Georgiev and Lias Andersson

edit - appears this was posted on Dec 30th

sharing

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Would this be a good deal? Read it on another board

Jeremy Bracco, Dmytro Timashov, and a 3rd round pick in exchange for Alexandar Georgiev and Lias Andersson
And no.

Toronto’s not getting Georgie unless it’s a bigger package for nylander.

And if I were Gorts. I would write that in blood to dubas

Your not getting him in a smaller deal. You want him, only as part of the deal we want

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
TB is a team which needs to make a big move at the deadline. This team has lost 6 straight playoff games. TB was up 3-2 in the Caps series. TB didn't score a goal in games 6 & 7. Lost in 7. They have scored combined 8 goals in those 6 games. TB believes their speed is their strength. They have lost their last two playoff series to two big and heavy teams. The Caps have speed and skill but they have some big boys too. The Caps wore TB down in that series. Columbus pulverized TB last season. Sweep. That was embarrassing. Tampa lost their composure in that series. Kucherov was suspended for a playoff game. TB signed Maroon as a free agent. He should help them. Maroon was a key player for the Blues last season. Kreider is an excellent fit on that team. He is a proven playoff performer. He scored some big goals for the Rangers in their playoff runs. Size and strength. TB won't lose any speed.

TB has been one of the best regular season teams the last two seasons but they flopped in the playoffs. They were awful(for their standards) for the first 8-10 weeks of this regular season. They might end winning the Presidents Trophy again this season with the way they are playing. Ten straight wins. The regular season doesn't mean anything for TB. Their season begins in mid-April. TB loses game one in the first round and all of doubts return. Here we go again. Same old Lightning. TB needs to win a Cup sooner than later. TB becomes a different team in the playoffs. There is less room on the ice for the fancy plays.

Kreider to TB.

The Rangers aren't there yet as a team. Panarin and Zibanejad can't play any better. The Rangers are on the outside of the playoff race. They don't defend well enough. The Rangers are playing young players in key spots. Lindgren failed to clear the puck on the PK last night and Blues scored a few seconds later. Hajek had a tough night. Those players will make mistakes. Some of the veterans run hot and cold. Those players make the same mistakes. The Rangers have 38 games remaining. Sell Kreider off at the deadline. Explore trades for DeAngelo, Georgiev(if they decide to definitely move him), Skjei and Strome at the deadline. Hockey trades. The Rangers can always move those players in the summer too. Figure out what is going on with Andersson. Get into the lottery and hope the 4 number combination is assigned to the Rangers. 2/5/9/11. The Rangers were 6th last season and ended up 2nd. The Rangers land a top forward in the draft.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
So as I’m watching tonight, I’m reminded of a moment that happened two weeks ago. My wife and I were having dinner in Phoenix in the same restaurant as the St. Louis Blues. There was a table of about 14 players (mostly young players) and Ryan O’Reilly was holding court. I couldn’t hear the whole conversation but what I heard after dinner was classic leadership. They were having a great time but at the end, O’Reilly called the group to order and talked about the importance of the game against the Coyotes the next night. It got serious and quiet and As an old hockey guy,
it was a beautiful moment to watch.

I see Chris Kreider as filling a big part of this role on the Rangers and I’ve been adamant about finding a way for the Rangers to keep him. In a year or two Stall and Lundqvist will be gone. I am sick of taking steps back for what could happen 4-5 years down the road. After a while it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Kreider is a player who can be part of the core on a championship team. I don’t think Skeji can be. I’m skeptical about Buchnevich. I think the Rangers need to spend money on leadership, move some of the chaff and get this team pointed back to the playoffs. I know there has to be sense to the contract but I think there is room for a deal. The same goes for Jesper Fast.

When I look at one first draft choice AWOL and another struggling in the minors, I’ve just about had enough draft picks. Monetize Georgiev, Look to trade guys not central to the core of a future contender and keep our fingers crossed that a majority of the young players in the organization amount to something.
This is an honest question that I have had for some time, and maybe the people that are more plugged in can answer it. Does anyone have first hand knowledge that Kreider is a leader in the room? Not anecdotal evidence or cliche quotes to the press that so and so is a true leader.

It's just that every time the conversation veers towards resigning CK, leadership comes up. I'm not knocking it, I'm not denying it, but I'm not buying into intangible qualities without some evidence. The leadership thing is like William Wallace level folklore.

Again, this is with all due respect and an honest question. This just felt like a good place to finally ask the question.

Reactions: egelband and Sooth

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
This is an honest question that I have had for some time, and maybe the people that are more plugged in can answer it. Does anyone have first hand knowledge that Kreider is a leader in the room? Not anecdotal evidence or cliche quotes to the press that so and so is a true leader.

It's just that every time the conversation veers towards resigning CK, leadership comes up. I'm not knocking it, I'm not denying it, but I'm not buying into intangible qualities without some evidence. The leadership thing is like William Wallace level folklore.

Again, this is with all due respect and an honest question. This just felt like a good place to finally ask the question.

I agree with you, I haven't heard much about Kreider's leadership until this year. Part of me think it's because he's on the trade block and it's something that would raise his value.

He's also not a lead-by-example on the ice type of player to the extent Callahan or Zucc was. Maybe he's very vocal and well-liked in the locker room, who knows.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So Howden looking better in the Wing right?

Grab a young physical C for A dersson or Georgiev , bump Fast with them and it could be a good 4th line

Lemieux w Chytil and Kakko

Kravtsov In for a Kreider top 6 and just run w it after the deadline

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Signing a 29 year old power forward who relies almost solely on his physical attributes to be a difference maker to a 6-7 year deal is a bad idea in general. It’s a horrible idea for a rebuilding team to hand out that type of contract as the most productive seasons of that players career will be years 1-3 and the team won’t be competing during that time more than likely. What your left with is an anchor on the salary cap for non-productive years.

Also, Zibanejad, Trouba, Panarin, heck evening Strome and Fast if they’re around are leaders in their own right.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I would trade Kreider and then possibly re-sign him on July 1st

This illustrates the most basic misconception. As good as the informed and high hockey IQ are here, this board is littered with an equal number of fantasy video gamers that have no sense of the business.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Decisions need to be made. This 3 goalie thing is ridiculous. Marc Staal (barring injury) playing every night is ridiculous. Time to start making some moves. This is not a playoff team and, if by some miracle Panarin or Zibanejad wills this team to a playoff spot, they're one and done. Trade Kreider. Georgiev. Possibly Fast. Possibly Strome (but this is something I'd have to think on long and hard if I'm the Rangers). Make the call.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'd move Georgiev and Buchnevich, see if you can sign DeAngelo and Kreider to something reasonable and if not you have to move them too. Smith, Mckegg, Staal and Haley I'd drive to wherever would take them but it's not happening. Other than that, resign everyone else and add Kravtsov and Rykov after the deadline and see what you have next year. Hopefully out of all that you get a forward and some picks to add to our current ones. Next year we need to see some traction though, Kakko, Kravtsov both have to be difference makers next year.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I would love for this team to get another Lemieux type for the bottom six this deadline. Someone who can play while being able to disrupt other teams by getting under their skin. For those of you who follow prospects closely are there any teams in which we could eventually be in discussions with who have a player like this waiting in their wings they might be willing to give up to get them through the stretch ?

BLEETCH1994

Jun 11, 2019
This illustrates the most basic misconception. As good as the informed and high hockey IQ are here, this board is littered with an equal number of fantasy video gamers that have no sense of the business.

With all due respect, what exactly qualifies your opinions as "high hockey IQ"? You can disagree w/o coming off with a snarky attitude. Several posters on here seem to push their opinions over and over and seem to talk down to others. Not to single people out, but coming off as a "know-it-all" or the number of posts does not make one knowledgeable of the sport or the business of it. Some posters here should put their agendas aside, listen to others, and try to make this forum fun to read again. This forum was really great over a decade ago. That all being said, I will now go back to just reading here for the next decade. Be nice to each other.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Signing a 29 year old power forward who relies almost solely on his physical attributes to be a difference maker to a 6-7 year deal is a bad idea in general. It’s a horrible idea for a rebuilding team to hand out that type of contract as the most productive seasons of that players career will be years 1-3 and the team won’t be competing during that time more than likely. What your left with is an anchor on the salary cap for non-productive years.

Also, Zibanejad, Trouba, Panarin, heck evening Strome and Fast if they’re around are leaders in their own right.
These decisions were made last summer with 2 big contracts handed out plus the dead cap getting pushed to $7.5m. There are consequences and sacrifices in a cap league.

I don't want my 2 highest paid forwards being wings. And then you have Kakko and Kravtsov developing as top 6 wings. If Strome is re-signed, he or Chytil made slide over to wing.

I feel like these mistakes were made already when Staal and Girardi were re-signed. Too much investment in peaked players. At least then we were in contention and no replacements were in sight. That's not the excuse now.

Reactions: Off Sides
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad