Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXI - Let's make a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Keeping in mind that there are a number of players the Rangers will likely be listening on.

So the concept of trading guys like Skjei, Buch, etc. isn’t out of the realm of possibility. But those deals are likely to be actual personnel swaps, as opposed to trades of the pick/prospect variety.
That’s muy bueno.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
Eh, you have to remember the context of that trade. The Rangers had just gotten absolutely demolished by the Flyers because they couldn’t compete with them physically and the sense was that this was where the league was trending. At the time, Ulfie was still seen as having top pairing defensive skills who could match the physical play. And the Rangers were going to slot him on the 2nd pair. Meanwhile there was a sense that Zubov might be a little redundant with the Rangers in the sense that he’d never get the opportunity to be a first pairing D in NY.

Despite that, Zubov was the more valuable commodity, so it can’t be forgotten how disappointing Nedved was in 1995 and how Robitaille was seen as a pretty significant upgrade. The team also needed someone to replace Steve Larmer. And, even though there was disappointment there too, he was an upgrade if you look at 1995 Nedved compared to 95-96 Robitaille. Of course, Nedved scored almost 100 points playing on the Penguins that year.

It was an historically bad trade based on results, but it felt pretty reasonable at the time it was made.

The truly unforgivable trade of that era was the Kurri deal.
I felt so bad for Mike gartner. He didn't deserve that. He was not in anyway a deficiency, it was only a year or two before he retired and he deserved a crack at the cup. In fact his speed down the wing would have been more useful than anything Anderson brought to the team.

Reactions: NernieBichols

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Talbot had taken a long stretch of play as a number one goalie when Hank was out, at the time it was felt he was a proven #1, Georgiev hasnt proven that, in fact his last back to back starts werent particularly good. Talbot also had an unreal .941 and .926 save percentage compared to Georgievs current .909 and average of .913. You can say they have similar value but you cant say Georgiev is worth more.
Sounds like that’s what Friedmann is saying, no?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
For the last month or so I've been advocating trying one or both of ADA/Fox on the right and it in certain situations recently they have. They should keep trying this for the rest of the season as if one of them is successful, it changes the dynamics of the holes in the organization.

In the offseason/draft move Skjei, Kravstov and Georgiev to the Leafs for Nylander and Kapanen or Johansson.

Buy out Staal and also may be Smith.

You can either keep or trade Buch to upgrade somewhere else. Explore resigning Fast.

I'd like to see a deal like Kreider for a prospect like Kostin.

Go into next season with:

Kapanen - Zbad - Nylander
Panarin - Strome - Buch
Kostin - Chytil - Kakko
Lemieux - Howden - Fast

Fox - Trouba
Lindgren - ADA
Hajek - Keane

Shesh
Lundqvist

Give Miller and Lundkvist an extra year to develop and see what you have in Lindgren/Hajek/Keane when they get a full season look.

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
If the return on Georgiev is like a 2nd, I'd rather the Rangers just keep him. Lundqvist can decide, stay on and be in a weird 3 goalie rotation of sorts, or decide to move on if a trade can happen, or retire.

Making a poor return deal just to get out of a weird situation at this point in the build... I mean it's not like anything is near ideal or perfect, and given that Staal, Smith, are still signed for another year, the youth seems to need more time to establish themselves, there is still likely to be non ideal situations in every position next season too.
I agree with this for the most part. The only caveat is how highly JD views husky and wall. It seems to me that goal is a real strength depth wise. Plus with alure the organization has a great track record of finding gems

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
To add to this, there was all that drama surround his wrist surgery in '95.

Zubov insisted on having wrist surgery that Smith and Campbell thought was unnecessary and wanted him to play through it. When Zubov had the surgery, that was the final straw for management and they started shopping him to Quebec for a deal that fell through.

In hindsight, it all seems petty and stupid. But I think plenty of fans were on board with the trade at the time. Messier also disliked Zubov which helped fuel public perception that he had to go.
Mess ‘not liking’ you was the kiss of death.

Gartner, nedved (1st go around), and Zubov

Even though I had a subscription to blueshirt bulletins back then, I guess I was too young or wasn’t close enough to the club (season tickets, whatever) I had no idea about the negatives with zubov. To me he was this Russian kid dman magician who quietly lead the rangers in Pts during the Stanley cup year when you wouldnt have thought it.

I hated the trade. But part of the reason for that was as a kid fan who watched ulfie wack and hack rangers as a whaler/penguin. I was like how could they trade zubov for that guy. And I wasn’t really a fan of robataiile ( I was one of the kids who gave him crap bc he ran shotgun to Gretzky when I first started watching, hindsight, incredibly crafty goal scorer, god given knack for it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->