Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXI - Let's make a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So as I’m watching tonight, I’m reminded of a moment that happened two weeks ago. My wife and I were having dinner in Phoenix in the same restaurant as the St. Louis Blues. There was a table of about 14 players (mostly young players) and Ryan O’Reilly was holding court. I couldn’t hear the whole conversation but what I heard after dinner was classic leadership. They were having a great time but at the end, O’Reilly called the group to order and talked about the importance of the game against the Coyotes the next night. It got serious and quiet and As an old hockey guy,
it was a beautiful moment to watch.

I see Chris Kreider as filling a big part of this role on the Rangers and I’ve been adamant about finding a way for the Rangers to keep him. In a year or two Stall and Lundqvist will be gone. I am sick of taking steps back for what could happen 4-5 years down the road. After a while it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Kreider is a player who can be part of the core on a championship team. I don’t think Skeji can be. I’m skeptical about Buchnevich. I think the Rangers need to spend money on leadership, move some of the chaff and get this team pointed back to the playoffs. I know there has to be sense to the contract but I think there is room for a deal. The same goes for Jesper Fast.

When I look at one first draft choice AWOL and another struggling in the minors, I’ve just about had enough draft picks. Monetize Georgiev, Look to trade guys not central to the core of a future contender and keep our fingers crossed that a majority of the young players in the organization amount to something.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
In fairness, neither are supposed to replace Kreider. You don't get a young guy on the brink of replacing the role of a rental you just traded.

Whether they're better than Lemieux is also kind of irrelevant, since they won't be competing with him for a roster spot.

And assuming Chris leaves, even if we re-sign Fast and Strome- this is the forward depth next season

Panarin-Strome-Fast
Lemieux-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Howden-Chytil-Kakko
???-???-???

We're missing a whole line.
True, but that's a good way to be. If you've got your top nine sorted it's easy to piece together a fourth line from prospects and free agents. The trouble comes when a team is trying to piece together a first line every year.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
"We never get high end talent."
- We got ADA, Fox, Zibanejad and some kids who can still make it big - Chytil, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist. How's that not getting any high end talent?

I'm not saying we never get high end talent and until these kids are contributing on this team, they are null and void as far as I'm concerned.

We're gonna lose important players at the TDL again so my question is..Who replaces their production?
Or do we just have to continue to suck it up and wait years until these kids we see if these kids even pan out?

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Just cause you typed them that doesn’t make any of those breakdowns true
kettle : black
you could at least make an argument like Jets Pionk >>> Rangers Pionk. That's at least a valid counterpoint. But you just typed words. Meaningless words that contribute nothing. Like, why even bother posting? Just ignore my post and move on.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Im not sure how Gorton could have signed too many more forwards if they wanted to give kids like Kravtsov, Andersson and others a real shot. Nieves was expected to be a NHL player as well.
But that was my argument from the beginning. These were young kids and that having the veteran presence would insulate them and be an insurance policy, for cheap, at the same time. I mean realistically, did we think all of Kravtsov/Lias/Kakko/Chytil would all be playing in the top 9? Because thats where they would have to play, not the 4th, although thats where Lias ended up. Kravtsov went back to russia eventually. Chytil was sent to Hartford. Boyle could have been the 4th line center who moved up and down the lineup as needed with those roster moves and injuries. Yes I hoped all could* make it but nowhere near realistic that they would. And now were paying for it dearly in the standings.

A playoff appearance would be just as vital to the young team’s progression.

And by no means was Boo Nieves was a guarantee.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We dont need 4th liners, we need top 6 wingers to replace Fast and Buchnevich,then the 4th line takes care of itself.
I dont disagree here either. I think they could use both a top 6 player and a quality 3rd-4th liner. Young kid with some ceiling to maybe be a 2nd liner.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I would stay away from Dillon unless it was a bargain cap hit on a 3 year deal.

What was the Athletic article saying. Its behind the paywall.
VGK want a dman cause Schmidt sucks this year. They want cheap options or send salary back. ADA is one of the ones they'd look at.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
So as I’m watching tonight, I’m reminded of a moment that happened two weeks ago. My wife and I were having dinner in Phoenix in the same restaurant as the St. Louis Blues. There was a table of about 14 players (mostly young players) and Ryan O’Reilly was holding court. I couldn’t hear the whole conversation but what I heard after dinner was classic leadership. They were having a great time but at the end, O’Reilly called the group to order and talked about the importance of the game against the Coyotes the next night. It got serious and quiet and As an old hockey guy,
it was a beautiful moment to watch.

I see Chris Kreider as filling a big part of this role on the Rangers and I’ve been adamant about finding a way for the Rangers to keep him. In a year or two Stall and Lundqvist will be gone. I am sick of taking steps back for what could happen 4-5 years down the road. After a while it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Kreider is a player who can be part of the core on a championship team. I don’t think Skeji can be. I’m skeptical about Buchnevich. I think the Rangers need to spend money on leadership, move some of the chaff and get this team pointed back to the playoffs. I know there has to be sense to the contract but I think there is room for a deal. The same goes for Jesper Fast.

When I look at one first draft choice AWOL and another struggling in the minors, I’ve just about had enough draft picks. Monetize Georgiev, Look to trade guys not central to the core of a future contender and keep our fingers crossed that a majority of the young players in the organization amount to something.
Kreider is a good player, but he does not strike me as the type of player that would hold court like ROR did in your story. ROR and Kreider are the same age.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Kreider is a guy who serves as a leader on this team, no doubt. Do I view him as an irreplaceable leader or the type whose personality permeates throughout the locker room? Not particularly, no.

I’ve never quite bought into the mindset that we will be devoid of leadership in a few years because we trade someone like Kreider. Yes, we will need leaders, but even in a few years time you’re talking about a timeframe where today’s young talents will be in those roles, as well as some of the vets who are in their first years here.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
We're gonna lose important players at the TDL again so my question is..Who replaces their production?
Or do we just have to continue to suck it up and wait years until these kids we see if these kids even pan out?

We may need to suck it up. This team lacks depth. Do kids step up? Who knows... Maybe Chytil becomes top 6, one of the 3 young LDs skyrockets or Lemieux turns into prime Adam Graves. But if not, we're probably not making the playoffs next season.

This team minus Kreider (and possibly less hot Panarin and Zibanejad) is not a playoff team unless a kid steps up big time. That said, there's no choice but to have one more sale. It would be dumb to either let Kreider walk or to give him a huge contract until he's 37 years old.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Obviously he is. His emotional IQ is off the chart.

most of you can’t process this in your video game console.

I’m not sure if Kreider quite fits into the mold of past desires to just trade someone and hoard picks.

I think there’s a pretty wide understanding of the fiscal implications of the Kreider situation and that simply jettisoning Skjei off the team doesn’t exactly do wonders for a left defense that is already shaky at best.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Hank is very focused during warmups...he goes through his routine and about halfway through the warmup, he goes to the bench, talks to an equipment manager and gets different stick.
lol ok. Hank isn't a leader. He doesn't rally the bench. You've got it.

This team is winning zero Cups with Kreider's leadership. He doesn't even drive his own level of play game to game, much less a whole team's.

Reactions: leetch99

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kassian has never looked better to me

Edit: Nevermind

Those third man his are gonna get someone killed. In this case, the hitter. But most likely the other way around. I don't like them. They are nothing but dangerous. League has to do something about them.
I love a good man to man hit. But when you've got one guy occupying a another guy and a third guy comes from the other direction and lays him out... Not my idea of hockey. I can understand how Kassian and even Kadri felt. There's nothing manly about taking a run at an essentially defenseless opponent.

Reactions: ETTER DE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad