Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Machinehead, I didn't say finesse was "in place", I said it wasn't really a concern going forward. There are much more pressing concerns in my opinion, like how 1/3 of the roster turns away from most hits and straight refuses to throw them for large portions of games, and I'd rather address that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Machinehead, I didn't say finesse was "in place", I said it wasn't really a concern going forward. There are much more pressing concerns in my opinion, like how 1/3 of the roster turns away from most hits and straight refuses to throw them for large portions of games, and I'd rather address that.
We're ranked higher in hits than we are in scoring.

Reactions: Ola

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If we're making the comparison, yes, I absolutely one billion percent want more of this:

81127147_10206597384811536_2488084467357319168_o.jpg

And while I've said many times I'm a fan of Lemieux, one of these is enough:

80569670_10206597389651657_2526761584160669696_o.jpg

You're just gonna have to rat me out to Officer DeAngelo on Twitter because I'm not apologizing for wanting this team to have the puck more.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
IMG_20191231_002404.jpg

Can't we fix this first and then see where the chips fall on grit?

Fixed

5Cch01e.png

Ok, how do we fix a number? The solutions are playing a cohesive game. Gapping properly, forcing turnovers from blueline to blueline, NOT rolling out the red carpet to our zone and learning coverage. We do not need analytics to tell us something is wrong. Showing a number means nothing without seeing whats wrong

Reactions: Kendo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fixed

5Cch01e.png

Ok, how do we fix a number? The solutions are playing a cohesive game. Gapping properly, forcing turnovers from blueline to blueline, NOT rolling out the red carpet to our zone and learning coverage. We do not need analytics to tell us something is wrong. Showing a number means nothing without seeing whats wrong
There's a lot of things wrong.

Us lacking talent and people thinking we don't is among them. Thinking grit is the main issue when the team is just horrendous is another.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I get that it's not black and white but when presented with the idea that the finesse is in place I have two questions:

1) where, now?

2) when, ever?

This team has lacked elite talent up front since I was ****ting diapers.

Well, I think some of that is two different categories.

Finesse, yes.

Elite, not beyond two players.

So, I think there’s a decent amount of finesse on the roster — it’s just a matter of whether it’s in a support role or a leading-man type role.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Why does Toronto need goalie help? Andersen has played 66/66/60 games the last 3 years. and 31/40 this year. That would pencil him in for 33 of the next 42 games dependent on the schedule. I don't think they need to trade for a guy to play 9 games in the regular season and then play 0 seconds in the playoffs. The difference any goalie can make in only 9 games is not that large and is going to be mostly variance related anyway. I also don't know how we would possibly get the best trade offer from a team interested in bringing him in as a backup and not the starter.

Andersen will be 33 at the start of his new contract after next season. Is Toronto going to make a potentially similar mistake we made when we re-signed Henrik to his current retirement contract..?

Geo gives Toronto an out here. They could potentially invest less $$$ for a young goalie that might out-produce what they currently have. And for a long ass time.

Geo isn’t Talbot. Or Raanta. He’s younger. And, he’s Better. He can be the rock a Team wants for the next decade.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
OK guys.. Lets get our CF/60 UP and xG UP!! and lets lower our xGA along with our CA/60..

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
There's a lot of things wrong.

Us lacking talent and people thinking we don't is among them. Thinking grit is the main issue when the team is just horrendous is another.
The only place we lack talent is in the bottom6.

Talent has nothing to do with blown coverage and confusion... or letting opposing teams waltz into our zone..

A large part of this teams problems is structural

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well, I think some of that is two different categories.

Finesse, yes.

Elite, not beyond two players.

So, I think there’s a decent amount of finesse on the roster — it’s just a matter of whether it’s in a support role or a leading-man type role.
Buchnevich and...????

I wouldn't call Chytil that, he's a tank. Ditto and then some for Kreider. Everyone else is a plug. Where's the finesse?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Buchnevich and...????

I wouldn't call Chytil that, he's a tank. Ditto and then some for Kreider. Everyone else is a plug. Where's the finesse?

I think guys who have strong finesse elements to their game include Panarin, ADA, Zibanejad, Strome, Buch, Chytil, Fox, Kakko and Skjei. Now some mix power elements with it (Zibanejad, Chytil, Kakko, ADA), but the keys to their ignition still starts with finesse first, and then other elements to support that finesse.

I think Kreider, typically would be a guy who
was the reverse of that — the finesse tended to support the power. But these days, it might be the other way around.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think guys who have strong finesse elements to their game include Panarin, ADA, Zibanejad, Strome, Buch, Chytil, Fox, Kakko and Skjei. Now some mix power elements with it (Zibanejad, Chytil, Kakko, ADA), but the keys to their ignition still starts with finesse first, and then other elements to support that finesse.

I think Kreider, typically would be a guy who
was the reverse of that — the finesse tended to support the power. But these days, it might be the other way around.
I can't tell you how ok I am with that

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
(in response to LB’s article)

Kreider, strome, deangelo, fast if you can squeeze it.

Move out skjei, buchnevich

Buying out smith, the 1.56m savings next season can be used to both pay for whatever bump fast will get in a contract (2.5-2.75per) and then basically pay for a ELC as well.

Kreider More and more I’m wondering what if he takes the stepan contract. 6xabout 6.5-6.7. Try to get him as close to 40 million on the contract without breaking 7 years or 40mil

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think Kreider can break 50mil on his upcoming contract. You want him to forgo some money, well I think the rangers need to come as close to the 40m mark for it to happen

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Because we have "too many" talented RHD who know what a puck is.

Just like when we traded Zubov because he and Leetch were too much offense.

Rangers gonna ranger.
Trading Zubov means something entirely different in the cap era. Smith wishes he traded Zubov for cap considerations instead of it being just to get Robitaille and Samuelsson. Gorton cant ignore the fact that he has Trouba, ADA, Fox and Keane; Hank, Georgiev, Shesty and Huska; but no 2C and a shit fourth line.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can't tell you how ok I am with that

And I think you’ll find that successful players, have some combination of finesse and power. It might be an 80-20 mix, compared to a 50-50 mix, but it’s there.

That’s also what makes someone like Chytil interesting, because he’s a blend of both.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If we're making the comparison, yes, I absolutely one billion percent want more of this:

81127147_10206597384811536_2488084467357319168_o.jpg

And while I've said many times I'm a fan of Lemieux, one of these is enough:

80569670_10206597389651657_2526761584160669696_o.jpg

You're just gonna have to rat me out to Officer DeAngelo on Twitter because I'm not apologizing for wanting this team to have the puck more.
your perception is whatever the graph tells you.

Who has Buch been playing with? Zibs, Panarin, Kreider and Chytil...

Who has Lemieux been playing with? Howden your favorite.

Use some critical thinking and dive deeper than just looking at charts

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Well there’s two schools of thinking to that Effen.

1) it’s too late at night for anyone to be trolling you on HFboarfs
Or
2) it’s late at night and the perfect time to troll on HFboards

Reactions: Ola

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Well there’s two schools of thinking to that Effen.

1) it’s too late at night for anyone to be trolling you on HFboarfs
Or
2) it’s late at night and the perfect time to troll on HFboards
are you a wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad