Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This team isn’t doing anything this season, and even Brooks saying their success thus far is due to Panarin, Zibanejad and goaltending in his article.

Also wtf is he talking about trading DeAngelo at the deadline? Why would that even be a consideration at this point?

The path forward seems relatively straight forward to me. Sell Kreider to the highest bidder at the deadline and play the rest of the year to see where the chips land.

Self renting Kreider for (best case scenario) a schlacking in the first round would be idiotic

Because we have "too many" talented RHD who know what a puck is.

Just like when we traded Zubov because he and Leetch were too much offense.

Rangers gonna ranger.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Panarin and Zibanejad mask a lot of the holes this roster has — and not all of potential fixes are in the organization at this time.

Don’t get me wrong, watching those two has been a real treat and it’s exciting. But we’re essentially in the spot that Gorton talked about back in 2018 - the dreaded middle. That, coupled with the idea that this team needs more ammo over the long haul, leads me to believe that this team will be selling and/or making moves to balance their roster.

So when we talk about names like Kreider, or Georgiev, or even ADA, it’s not a matter of not liking a player, or not valuing a player. On the contrary, it’s a matter of finding out how they are viewed by others and whether you can find value pieces to build out a full roster — not just one that has great depth at RD and two high-end dynamic offensive forwards.

And at some point, that’s going to mean moving names that people are uncomfortable moving.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
They're dead in the middle in scoring because Panarin is a Gundam. There's no depth to speak of.

I don't see where we have it in spades. The idea that this organization has skill everywhere is so contrary to reality that I'm dumbfounded as to where the notion comes from.
We could go down a rabbit hole about all this but the short version is I think Geo can get a nice NHL or near-NHL Gritty McGritt which would be a lot more beneficial in the near to medium term. And I'd rather have that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We could go down a rabbit hole about all this but the short version is I think Geo can get a nice NHL or near-NHL Gritty McGritt which would be a lot more beneficial in the near to medium term. And I'd rather have that.
So you want more grit. I figured.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Because we have "too many" talented RHD who know what a puck is.

Just like when we traded Zubov because he and Leetch were too much offense.

Rangers gonna ranger.
They traded Zubov for "good hockey man" reasons (bad reason) and the fact he smoked roughly 30 cigarettes a day (good reason!) in a sport that demands cardiovascular performance.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
So you want more grit. I figured.
Kravstov (to pick someone sort of at random) will probably play a lot more comfortably and progress better if he has, yanno, space and stuff. It's not all about individual guys.

You watch some of this garbo, you see how hard it can be some nights when guys get swallowed up and promptly bend over.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kravstov (to pick someone sort of at random) will probably play a lot more comfortably and progress better if he has, yanno, space and stuff. It's not all about individual guys.

You watch some of this garbo, you see how hard it can be some nights when guys get swallowed up and promptly bend over.
We would have space and stuff if we had, yanno, the puck and stuff.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So when we talk about names like Kreider, or Georgiev, or even ADA, it’s not a matter of not liking a player, or not valuing a player. On the contrary, it’s a matter of finding out how they are viewed by others and whether you can find value pieces to build out a full roster — not just one that has great depth at RD and two high-end dynamic offensive forwards.

And at some point, that’s going to mean moving names that people are uncomfortable moving.
I’m all for moving guys like DeAngelo if the situation is right. If some team wants to trade a top line forward who’s going to be on this team for the next 5-7 years for DeAngelo at the deadline, go for it

But suggesting that “oh well his numbers are pretty good, and he’s arbitration eligible, better move him at the deadline” seems silly to me.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
IMG_20191231_002404.jpg

Can't we fix this first and then see where the chips fall on grit?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
We would have space and stuff if we had, yanno, the puck and stuff.
Since teams don't trade their A-1 prospects anymore, they're all flawed. In that respect, I'd rather have another Lemieux-type than another Buchnevich type with this roster in the near-to-medium term.

I'm sorta surprised you'd seem to want the opposite.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’m all for moving guys like DeAngelo if the situation is right. If some team wants to trade a top line forward who’s going to be on this team for the next 5-7 years for DeAngelo at the deadline, go for it

But suggesting that “oh well his numbers are pretty good, and he’s arbitration eligible, better move him at the deadline” seems silly to me.

Oh make no mistake, the Rangers have and continue to view ADA as a very valuable player. They’re not moving him just for the hell of it.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Panarin and Zibanejad mask a lot of the holes this roster has — and not all of potential fixes are in the organization at this time.

Don’t get me wrong, watching those two has been a real treat and it’s exciting. But we’re essentially in the spot that Gorton talked about back in 2018 - the dreaded middle. That, coupled with the idea that this team needs more ammo over the long haul, leads me to believe that this team will be selling and/or making moves to balance their roster.

Reminds me a bit of this chart. Right now we're near the top of the sadness chart. We are most likely not going to make the playoffs and even if we do, we are very unlikely to make an actual run. The goal of the organization shouldn't be to make the playoffs this year, it should be to set the team up for a long streak of playoff runs in the near future. We really need to change course towards a high pick by selling off players we don't plan on keeping long term. This team still needs more high end talent to ensure the team will be able to maintain competitiveness throughout the next decade.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Since teams don't trade their A-1 prospects anymore, they're all flawed. In that respect, I'd rather have another Lemieux-type than another Buchnevich type with this roster in the near-to-medium term.

I'm sorta surprised you'd seem to want the opposite.
You're sorta surprised that I want more talent instead of more f***ery?

Have you missed all of my posts the last ten years?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Reminds me a bit of this chart. Right now we're near the top of the sadness chart. We are most likely not going to make the playoffs and even if we do, we are very unlikely to make an actual run. The goal of the organization shouldn't be to make the playoffs this year, it should be to set the team up for a long streak of playoff runs in the near future. We really need to change course towards a high pick by selling off players we don't plan on keeping long term. This team still needs more high end talent to ensure the team will be able to maintain competitiveness throughout the next decade.

Oh no, analytics!

Reactions: Irishguy42

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

In terms of selling, I don’t think there will be a massive sell-off. I think we’re past that point.

Outside of a potential Kreider move, what I do think you’ll see them explore is actual roster moves. Although, those might not really come until the off-season.

Reactions: RGY

effen

Feb 3, 2018
You're sorta surprised that I want more talent instead of more ****ery?

Have you missed all of my posts the last ten years?
While it's not a binary thing of grit v. skill, the last several years have been a case study on how a lack of team grit messes up a lot of foundational parts of hockey that make the skill stuff effective. In a lot of respects the Rangers have been playing games with one hand tied behind their backs and frankly relying on goaltending and individual gundam players to paper over that deficiency as they get hemmed in their zone for extended periods and give up the slot and take penalties because in no small part, their guys seem to want it a little bit less.

To each their own.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Oh make no mistake, the Rangers have and continue to view ADA as a very valuable player. They’re not moving him just for the hell of it.
As they should

Like I said for this deadline, a Kreider trade makes sense to me based on the situation.

There’s no reason to move guys just because at this point. The ship does not need to be torn down to the studs anymore.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
While it's not a binary thing of grit v. skill, the last several years have been a case study on how a lack of team grit messes up a lot of foundational parts of hockey that make the skill stuff effective. In a lot of respects the Rangers have been playing games with one hand tied behind their backs and frankly relying on goaltending and individual gundam players to paper over that deficiency as they get hemmed in their zone for extended periods and give up the slot and take penalties because in no small part, their guys seem to want it a little bit less.

To each their own.
They only seem to want it a little bit less because they're getting clowned every night.

When have the Rangers ever, ever, ever been a team loaded with skill?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Anywho, this was all a big digression from what I meant as my point, which is Georgiev is more valuable than a recent late 2nd who's been doing stuff lately.

They can do better than a 1-for-1 at least for Robertson.

As for Kreider, I think it's him or Buchnevich one of the other. They can't reasonably fit both. I think the brass would rather have Kreider, but it's a cap world.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I still don’t think it’s finesse or grit.

It’s finesse and grit. Be it in combinations of players, or being to find players who combine different percentages of both.

This issue always becomes more black and white than it needs to be.
I get that it's not black and white but when presented with the idea that the finesse is in place I have two questions:

1) where, now?

2) when, ever?

This team has lacked elite talent up front since I was shitting diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad