Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yep, and I didn’t mean to take away anything from him in that regard.

It was also a really really tough league to perform in — and no matter what nobody can claim that BR didn’t perform.

My point was just that there where red flags about how his game would translate to a new team and how well he would age.

I think that's a fair argument.

But I would also argue that the Rangers acquired Richards to be a contender, and in the three seasons he played here, they were exactly that.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You can't rebuild forever.

I understand Karlsson may be a tough sell, but the guy is a franchise talent.

We’re in year 1 of our rebuild. It literally started last season.

Why does a rebuilding franchise need an elite talent like EK right now? Or the near future?

Are we trying to stay competitive while rebuilding?

EK will likely not be an elite talent when we are ready to start competing. I’m sure he’ll still be a good player, one making a ridiculous amount of money with a lot of term left.

Reactions: Riche16

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Here’s a question for you all, lets make a couple of assumptions:

Chris Kreider will want 7 years x $7m per season. He is a UFA at the end of next year.

Mark Stone, when he hits UFA, is interested in coming to NY. He asks for $8.5m x 7 years.

Artemi Panarin, when he hits UFA, is interested in coming to NY. He asks for $9m x 7 years.

Would anyone consider trading Kreider to recoup assets and signing either of those guys at those contracts?

Let’s assume those demands I listed are slightly low for Stone and Panarin. At what contract would you take either to allow for the trade of Kreider?

No, How about keeping Kreider who has shown he can play in New York, and also has the lowest AAV of what you’ve paid out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Crosby and Malkin are generalational talents. They’re are a notch above elite. Nobody should be comparing Richards to them.

And beaver was never considered, by anyone I know to be a top-5 skater. He was a very smart player with good vision and a good shot.

Many respected posters claimed that he was a top 10 skaters like hours before he hit the ice in NY. It was ridiculous to state that he had issues with his skating. This was a Conn Smyth winner who had scored tremendous numbers, of course his skating was great.

Didn’t we see the exact same thing with Shatty? I don’t think even a year and a half have passed since I was ridiculed for questioning his skating.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Many respected posters claimed that he was a top 10 skaters like hours before he hit the ice in NY. It was ridiculous to state that he had issues with his skating. This was a Conn Smyth winner who had scored tremendous numbers, of course his skating was great.

Didn’t we see the exact same thing with Shatty? I don’t think even a year and a half have passed since I was ridiculed for questioning his skating.
Do you remember who those respected posters are?

Beaver wasn’t even a Great skater during his prime in Tampa. He was never a burner.

Reactions: pld459666

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Lost in all this is the reality that the Rangers are not going to be an attractive option to a superstar free agent at the moment.

They will be if/when they have a young core emerge and look like a team getting ready to climb, but don't doubt for a minute that in the immediate future players aren't having the same reaction to this squad that we are.

Which is part of the reason you don’t go scorched earth. You keep Zibanejad as veteran cost-controled top six center and you keep Kreider because he more than likely costs less than what’s on the market.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Chris Kreider will want 7 years x $7m per season. He is a UFA at the end of next year.

Mark Stone, when he hits UFA, is interested in coming to NY. He asks for $8.5m x 7 years.

Artemi Panarin, when he hits UFA, is interested in coming to NY. He asks for $9m x 7 years.

Would anyone consider trading Kreider to recoup assets and signing either of those guys at those contracts?

Let’s assume those demands I listed are slightly low for Stone and Panarin. At what contract would you take either to allow for the trade of Kreider?

I don't think it's out of the question for the Rangers to sign Kreider for less then 7 mil. A lot will depend on where he finishes this season.

Not that I was hoping and praying for this but On Panarin I felt really confident that he was destined for the Rangers after it leaked he preferred to play for NY. In time that confidence led to certainty...however recently there was some piece that he would consider S Florida. Not a bad place to cash in on your big contract. I would! With the shape of the club now who knows?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
From Custance "NHL Trade Big Board: 20 players who could move before the deadline Craig Custance":

"4. Kevin Hayes, Rangers: He’s big. He’s a center. He’s a rental. He’s everything a contending team like the Bruins or the Jets would love to plug into their lineup for the stretch run. Hayes has 33 points in 39 games and will be one of the biggest targets before the trade deadline. “He’s a really good player,” said one NHL source. “I think it’s buyer beware when he’s signing his next contract … but as a rental? Awesome. He’s not going to be a first-line center. Let’s say it’s the Bruins, he’ll be their third center. Then he’s really good.”"

Something a little under the radar that really struck me.

Hes not going to Boston.

There's a reason he didn't sign there that reason has not gone away.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Easily.

Reactions: leetch99

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Apparently Teams are asking about Fast, where do we put his value?

I'm totally not Gorts btw

A similar but younger player. Freddy Gauthier has Brian Boyle potential.

A trade like that is more valuable than mid round picks... But if a team is willing to give a 2nd then thats market value.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
If we had started this rebuild when we should have and sold pieces instead of buying Staal and letting Yandle walk for almost nothing we MAY be further along enough to think about UFA... I doubt we would but u never know right.

Until we have our next crown jewel(s) I don’t see any reason to sign big ticket items.

They would follow in Hank’s footsteps and be wasted here without a supporting cast.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I listened to a Pierre Lebrun podcast on TSN Toronto radio. It was from at least 3-4 weeks ago and it must have been after one of the games where Lundqvist was visibly annoyed at his teammates because Lebrun and his co-host (I don't remember who it was) started wondering if Lundqvist would now rethink whether or not he wants to stick it out for this rebuild. Lebrun threw it out there that management may be dangling the possibility of signing Panarin or Karlsson - i.e. "just stay with us, it's going to be better soon." I don't think Lebrun had any real basis for saying that and it seemed like he was just spitballing but I really hope that's not the plan here. We will find out soon enough. If players like Hayes and Zuccarello are still on the team after the trade deadline I would not be in the least bit surprised to see this team go after a big FA. It would actually be par for the course for this franchise.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I don't think it's out of the question for the Rangers to sign Kreider for less then 7 mil. A lot will depend on where he finishes this season.

Not that I was hoping and praying for this but On Panarin I felt really confident that he was destined for the Rangers after it leaked he preferred to play for NY. In time that confidence led to certainty...however recently there was some piece that he would consider S Florida. Not a bad place to cash in on your big contract. I would! With the shape of the club now who knows?

A plethora of solid Russian native hockey players (prospects and rostered) in a nice tax advantage state. I cannot fault his thinking one bit.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If they can't land a big fish, just stay the course and be smart with the cap space. Having a clean capsheet moving forward will help Gorton get out of some of these bad contracts more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad