Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Love Karrlson but he is exactly the type of player to come to NY and the wheels fall off. He's at that age and he has that mileage.

It's a cycle I'd like to break. Team signs him, everyone gets excited and pencils him in for the Norris, and then all of a sudden the Garden ice causes he ankle injury to get worse than it's over been or all that wear and tear on his ankle and his lower body goes.

Panaarin and Stone are younger and actually make sense. The D is unfortunately set for next season baring a crazy trade. Keep building up front, now is not the time for EK65.

Reactions: Kupo

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The thing those guys have in common with Karlsson are they are actually elite players.

We sign big ufa deals with good not great players on the decline and fail every time. Karlsson is a legit elite player. It would be like having Crosby avail at 29 and saying no he’s in decline. Well no he’s not.

Karlsson is not a shattenkirk or redden

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We can’t enter next year with the D as is. Yes we need W depth but what’s the point if Staal / Pionk is your 2nd pair and Smith is the 6/7th. It’ll take a FA to fix this D or we wait 3 yrs for Miller, Keane, Lundkvist, etc. Push everyone down a pairing....

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The thing those guys have in common with Karlsson are they are actually elite players.

We sign big ufa deals with good not great players on the decline and fail every time. Karlsson is a legit elite player. It would be like having Crosby avail at 29 and saying no he’s in decline. Well no he’s not.

What's he going to be when we are ready to compete?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
What's he going to be when we are ready to compete?

What does that even mean? You don’t know when that’s going to be. If it’s in 5 years we’ve got bigger issues. Signing him and a Panarin should along with bringing in Kravstov Miller shesterkin should make us competitors. Half the league sucks. If your in the top half you’re competing

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I too am not sure why there is much desire for the Rangers to sign expensive long term UFAs.

Guys like Prospal, Grabner and such are what I'd be looking for to back fill the team's departing vets. Sure more of that type fail than succeed as well but they are on short cheap deals.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
But to answer your question. He’ll probably still be very good because he’s an elite player. A generational talent. He’s not a good or even great player. He’s a franchise player. In 2 years he’ll still be that and hopefully leading us in the playoffs

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
What does that even mean? You don’t know when that’s going to be. If it’s in 5 years we’ve got bigger issues. Signing him and a Panarin should along with bringing in Kravstov Miller shesterkin should make us competitors. Half the league sucks. If your in the top half you’re competing
It means we aren't competing until 2021. No matter what Gorts does and no matter what the lottery balls say.

It isn't happening until then at earliest. Gorts has not given any contract to anyone past 2021 except Zbad and Skjei

Karlsson won't change that, nor will Panarin.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
But to answer your question. He’ll probably still be very good because he’s an elite player. A generational talent. He’s not a good or even great player. He’s a franchise player. In 2 years he’ll still be that and hopefully leading us in the playoffs
And you will have wasted 2 years of his prime paying him to be on a rebuilding team

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
One way to make Cbus a desirable location...
Dwa5SsIXgAAo-0_.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Love Karrlson but he is exactly the type of player to come to NY and the wheels fall off. He's at that age and he has that mileage.

It's a cycle I'd like to break. Team signs him, everyone gets excited and pencils him in for the Norris, and then all of a sudden the Garden ice causes he ankle injury to get worse than it's over been or all that wear and tear on his ankle and his lower body goes.

Panaarin and Stone are younger and actually make sense. The D is unfortunately set for next season baring a crazy trade. Keep building up front, now is not the time for EK65.

Not for nothing, but the true elites age much better than those who are a cut under...

I’m all for staying away from UFA’s though. They need to to find their ring leaders internally before even f***ing around with the idea of adding from the outside. A shitty year this season+ another one next year would do wonders potentially.

Reactions: Riche16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Not for nothing, but the true elites age much better than those who are a cut under...

I’m all for staying away from UFA’s though. They need to to find their ring leaders internally before even f***ing around with the idea of adding from the outside. A shitty year this season+ another one next year would do wonders potentially.

Reactions: Off Sides and jas

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

I’m all for staying away from UFA’s though. They need to to find their ring leaders internally before even ****ing around with the idea of adding from the outside. A ****ty year this season+ another one next year would do wonders potentially.
Props for starting this post with the old school "Naht fuh nuttin"

Love that. #memories

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Many said that Karlsson is done, now he is setting all kinds of records in SJ.

Still think that we need some kind of a bit more unique talent before we start to gun for getting up from the cellar. Jack Hughes would help us, OTOH getting him is a lottery pick at best. What 18% if you finish 31st overall? Like 40% to get at least a top 2 pick? You are guaranteed a 4th, if you finish 31st overall...

How good are the top 4/5/6 guys? I don’t know, haven’t followed them that closely... Not the range you normally find franchise guys in.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Many said that Karlsson is done, now he is setting all kinds of records in SJ.

Still think that we need some kind of a bit more unique talent before we start to gun for getting up from the cellar. Jack Hughes would help us, OTOH getting him is a lottery pick at best. What 18% if you finish 31st overall? Like 40% to get at least a top 2 pick? You are guaranteed a 4th, if you finish 31st overall...

How good are the top 4/5/6 guys? I don’t know, haven’t followed them that closely...

Top 4 pick would ensure your shot at one of Podkolzin/Cozens/Bryam/Zegras/Dach

They are all very good.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I’m all for staying away from UFA’s though. They need to to find their ring leaders internally before even ****ing around with the idea of adding from the outside. A ****ty year this season+ another one next year would do wonders potentially.

Dany Heatley says hello!

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Same exact argument was made with Brad Richards.

How long is EK going to be elite? 3 years? Right when (hopefully) our window starts opening up? Then then inevitable decline.

EK has is a 10 year veteran with a ton of miles on the odometer. You honestly want to see this team pay him 10m+ a season when we’re in season 1 of our rebuild?

Sounds like a winning recipe to me. Let’s trade some of our prospects for veterans and go sign Stone and Panarin as well. Rebuild complete.

JFC.... It’s Groundhog Day with some of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad