Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
With tonight’s results, the Rangers are now six points out of 1st overall (draft pick)
images

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Center Kevin Hayes missed practice for a “maintenance day.” Quinn said it’s the same “upper-body issue” he has been dealing with for a few weeks.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/03/david-quinn-squares-off-against-the-team-that-gave-him-his-shot/

Arizona game from 3 weeks ago?

“It’s hard. Sometimes you can [start] 10, 15 straight and not feel tired. And then you play a couple games that are so intense and emotional, it takes a toll on you,” he said Thursday, with his sights set to get back in nets for the second leg of the trip, against the Coyotes on Saturday afternoon. “But again, I get an opportunity to work in practice for a couple days and get ready for Phoenix. That’s a good thing for me.

“I was a little tired [Wednesday], but if you only played when you were 100 percent perfect, you would not play a lot of games in this league. You have to find ways to find that energy, find that focus. But some nights it’s just going to be a little harder. I think that’s the toughest challenge in this league when you play every second night, to be on top of your game because of that mental and physical aspect of the game.”

https://nypost.com/2019/01/03/henrik-lundqvist-rest-suddenly-a-major-rangers-concern/

The Rangers can't play Lundqvist every game anymore no matter much Quinn wants to win every game.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
With tonight’s results, the Rangers are now six points out of 1st overall (draft pick)

The teams ahead of them won too.

The Islanders, Montreal, Boston and Buffalo.

The Rangers have a few games in hand on the wildcard teams but they are 8 points behind the Habs for the last WC. The division will be the same 3 teams in the playoffs.

upload_2019-1-4_5-8-33.png

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Every time I look at the standings, I despise the loser point.

It would really benefit this team to hit the skids for 5-6 games in a row.

It will happen. Their goaltending has been superb up to this point with the rare exception. All it takes is for both goalies to hit a skid where they aren’t playing at an elite level and the team will lose games.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
Apologize if this is the wrong thread but, where does Jack Hughes stand on the list of past #1 overall drafted centers, around this time of year:

Mackinnon
Matthews
Patrick (who i believe around now was still widely considered the #1)

(McDavid intentionally omitted).

If you had to rank the upside of those three at around this time before their drafts, as compared with j. Hughes around this time, how does it look?

Reactions: leetch99

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Montreal cracks me up; they've built the perfect team for being "competitive" and not much else. Don't know how their farm system looks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Apologize if this is the wrong thread but, where does Jack Hughes stand on the list of past #1 overall drafted centers, around this time of year:

Mackinnon
Matthews
Patrick (who i believe around now was still widely considered the #1)

(McDavid intentionally omitted).

If you had to rank the upside of those three at around this time before their drafts, as compared with j. Hughes around this time, how does it look?

Personally, I've always felt his range is close to Matthews.

Reactions: Berserk

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Been thinking about why they would be playing Hank so much, is it possible he has changed his mind on getting moved? Otherwise I have no idea why you would run him out there every night when we arent making playoffs.

Reactions: leetch99

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Personally I feel he is closer to Patrick than Matthew's just my opinion tho

I dunno, I think Hughes' vision, hockey sense and impact on those around him is already significantly more noticeable than Patrick's was heading into the draft --- and Patrick was a good 8 months older than Hughes at this point.

Reactions: Ola

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Personally I feel he is closer to Patrick than Matthew's just my opinion tho

Based on what?

Their games couldn't be any more different, Hughes straight up made USA's 4th line look like a 1st line against the Czechs.

That is the blueprint that we should avoid like the plague.

Yet its the one that many on here want the team to follow.

They have dipped into the top 3 of the draft twice in 6 years though, something we haven't been able (or even willing) to do.

Ndurpressure

Sep 1, 2016
I dunno, I think Hughes' vision, hockey sense and impact on those around him is already significantly more noticeable than Patrick's was heading into the draft --- and Patrick was a good 8 months older than Hughes at this point.

@Edge - recognizing that age could play a role, does the size of Patrick vs. Hughes give you any pause, at least with regard to Hughes' ability to be a difference maker early on? i recognize patrick is off to a slow start, but at least as far as expectations prior to NHL debut.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Edge - recognizing that age could play a role, does the size of Patrick vs. Hughes give you any pause, at least with regard to Hughes' ability to be a difference maker early on? i recognize patrick is off to a slow start, but at least as far as expectations prior to NHL debut.

Not really. At least not in 2019. Ten years ago it would've been on the radar, but I don't see it being an issue now.

The thing with Hughes is the impact he has on everyone around him. It's not just what he can do, it's the space he opens up for others --- on his line, on other lines, etc. That's what stands out the most for me.

There are many talented players at the top of this draft, but Hughes probably has the biggest impact on the entire game. You watch defensive plans change when he's on the ice, you watch teams have to re-adjust when he's off, then you watch the centers behind him benefit from facing an opposition that is busy trying to figure Hughes out, or really think about who they are going to put out there.

Reactions: Ndurpressure
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad