Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII - Want some, get some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think the Rangers have to get Shesty some NHL starts this season. If only to get some sort of picture of how he holds up. Pushing the decision on Georgiev to the summer is fine. However, if they're at that point and have little to no sample size to base their decision on, that's a pretty serious gamble to take with a notoriously unpredictable roster position.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Would anyone take Galchenyuk off the hands of the Pens? I would...

Really depends on the cost. I also don't really see where he would fit in the lineup right now. If I'm being completely honest, he'd probably be a slight upgrade on what we're getting out of Kakko right now at ES and on the PP. However, that's really not saying much.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Really depends on the cost. I also don't really see where he would fit in the lineup right now. If I'm being completely honest, he'd probably be a slight upgrade on what we're getting out of Kakko right now at ES and on the PP. However, that's really not saying much.

I wouldn't pay anything, it would be like:

Galchenyuk for Day is what I would propose. Cap dump

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If DeAngelo we’re doing this last season he would be the most untouchable of pieces.

I get the contract concerns, but they’re more illusionary then fact. If you really need to make the space, you can make it happen rather easily.
Agreed. If ADA is becoming a 55-60 point defenseman, you learn to live with the warts and create the space. If (HUGE IF) he is truly becoming such a player, there are very few of them in the league. As such, you keep rather than trade. A 60 point defenseman has more value than a 60 point forward.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To BOS
Chris Kreider

To NYR

2020 1st
Studnicka

To DET

Buch
Keane

To NYR
Athanasiou
mid-tier prospect/pick

yay or nay?

I dont know how much Boston would give up but replacing Kreider's speed with AA would be pretty nice. Would be fun watching AA and Chytil flying down the rink

Sign Strome 2 years $9M or just take him to arbitration for his last restricted year.

Keep Georgie unless someone overpays. Even then, what's a goalie worth? More value in keeping him

Don't think we'd get both Studnicka and the 1st for Kreider and of the two pieces I think Boston would be more inclined to move the 1st. There's also Johnny Beecher--big guy that can really skate. I'd want more than just the 1st for Kreider which is likely to be an end of the first round 1st and I'd want more than just Beecher or Studnicka. That said I don't think we'll end up with two 1st's. It might be more like one of those pieces and a 2nd or similar to the return we got for Nash or Hayes.

On the question of Athanasiou and Buchnevich. To me one's not really more valuable than the other. Yeah every time we play Detroit Athanasiou kills us but like Buch he's kind of an inconsistent producer. He's faster than Pavel and has good hands and instincts but Pavel actually is a more skilled player.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think the Rangers have to get Shesty some NHL starts this season.
Logically, I would think so.

I also think that IF Georgiev is moved, it won't be until the summer. But one never knows what happens at TDL. If Toronto is in a playoff spot and have a glaring need for someone to be able to play competently some games, do they come knocking?

I also think that there is the possibility of Georgiev not being traded and Henke's last year is spent in a 3 goalie rotation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Studnicka is a name that's come up multiple times in the past when discussing Nash, Hayes and Kreider.

Thus far, it's not materialized. I would assume the interest is still there, but I don't know if I see the end result changing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Logically, I would think so.

I also think that IF Georgiev is moved, it won't be until the summer. But one never knows what happens at TDL. If Toronto is in a playoff spot and have a glaring need for someone to be able to play competently some games, do they come knocking?

I also think that there is the possibility of Georgiev not being traded and Henke's last year is spent in a 3 goalie rotation.

I think it's definitely more likely that a trade happens in the summer. That's why I'd be insisting on a heavy premium if a team like Toronto wanted to make the trade in-season. We obviously all have differing opinions of what that premium might look like, but I would imagine the situation is quite fluid. The better Georgie plays, and the worse some of the suitors play, does that eventually force their hand?

I think if the Rangers decide to move Georgie for a pick, it will be a draft-day move. One where they already know where the pick lands and who they can possibly get in that spot.

Deleted member 23124

I think the Rangers have to get Shesty some NHL starts this season. If only to get some sort of picture of how he holds up. Pushing the decision on Georgiev to the summer is fine. However, if they're at that point and have little to no sample size to base their decision on, that's a pretty serious gamble to take with a notoriously unpredictable roster position.
I have no doubt Shesty will get some big-time action soon.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Georgiev better than Henrik right now which isn't to say that Henrik is playing bad.

I know some people don't want to go there but the Rangers like it or not are in the playoff hunt and a big part of why is Alex's goaltending. Right now we pro-rate to about a 94 point season and the team seems to me to be gradually getting better as the season goes along. I know the assumption is we're going to fall apart at some point but we need to see if this team can continue to improve. I looked at this West Coast trip by the way as the team needing to come away with at least 4 points and Vegas looked to me like the least likely to get us points but we got the two last night. If the Rangers come out with 6 or higher now that's a huge get of road points.

The power play has been good--take away the Tampa game where we gave up 5 power play goals and our penalty kill has been good--we're also leading the league in shorthanded goals. We have at least two lines that are dangerous--fact is 11 forwards and 4 defenseman have 3 or more goals before the 30 game mark. Our defense is very young and error prone but it is also leading the league in goals and maybe even points after last night. It's very active and it fits today's game.

We are also a gnarly bunch that back each other up. There's a lot to like about this team.

........and yeah we have nights where we'll awful but we're also seeing the team start to string together wins or at least standings points.

So the question of who we will move at the deadline is going to be conditioned on that. I expect Kreider will be one but Strome?--maybe not. As far as Georgiev if he continues as he is Igor's going to be in the AHL. Alex has outperformed Henrik (who has played well) all season.

The one thing I think about though in regard to our goaltending is if someone like Rask or Grubauer went down with a season ending injury and their teams came to us in desperate need of a goaltender to save their season because really I'm not moving Alex (or Igor) without getting a really great return and a late 1st rounder ain't enough or at least not enough for Alex.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Agreed. I think he could have had a look these last few games while Lundqvist was under the weather.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
There's been studies done such as Evaluating Nordic Drafting – A Potential Market Inefficiency that show that players from the Swedish and Finnish leagues tend to translate at the highest rates to the NHL.

practice makes perfect - I cannot recall the sources but have read how the Finish/Swedes practice a lot more than they play. In NA, they play no -stop with less practice.

which is better? Players who recognize the size of the ice with less emphasis on skill development or unfamiliar with size of the ice and having higher skill developed?

Tough to figure

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Why are we so quick to move Georgiev? They should be waiting until the end of the season and they know exactly what Lundqvists intentions are.

If you are blown away by an offer then of course pull the trigger but it needs to be the right move. Yes Shesh is playing lights out in the AHL but let's not get a head of ourselves here. He hasn't played a minute in the NHL yet.

agree!!!!

Georgiev is performing well in the NHL. This prospect hype across the board is nothing more than names written in pencil until they prove otherwise. I think Shev is going to be awesome but we don’t know. Heck, the best prospect in the Stamford camp was Kravtsov and he’s below the KHL now.

I don’t think there should be any hurry to move any well performing youth out.

The solution shouldn’t be move out Georgiev so Shev gets a shot as much as recognizing the problem is Hank is still here. Like Eli Manning, let’s get over the emotion and recognize you can’t move to the future until the past is left behind. You can’t have both

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad