Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think some of our guys are viewed higher than we think, and some of the guys this board loves are not viewed quite as highly as some would suggest.

Re: The Oilers specifically, I don't think our teams are completely done circling each other as potential trade partners --- and I'd carry that over into the off-season again.

I'd also include Colorado and Boston in that category.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think some of our guys are viewed higher than we think, and some of the guys this board loves are not viewed quite as highly as some would suggest.

Re: The Oilers specifically, I don't think our teams are completely done circling each other as potential trade partners --- and I'd carry that over into the off-season again.

What's your sense on Buch as of now? Has the team fallen in love with him or still quietly available?

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
With the way we’re set up now we could really have used a talented winger like JP too. Fast could move to the 4th line. He’s iffy for tonight and that messes things up.

Friggen kravtsov idiot that he is 6 weeks in the A and he’d have been back here no doubt in my mind

Reactions: NYRangers16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What's your sense on Buch as of now? Has the team fallen in love with him or still quietly available?

My sense is that he's still available for the right deal.

I don't think that deal is for a pick or a reclamation project at this point, but I think the Rangers would listen. Having said that, I feel like he's in a similar situation last year --- I don't think he's going anywhere if Kreider is moved, and I think the Rangers would prefer to see what else they have on the wings before making a move.

I think there are other forwards more likely to be moved before Buch --- namely Kreider and Strome. But if the right deal came along, I don't think the Rangers would take a pass.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Ahh so you're saying that the McDavid trade is most likley and off-season thing as opposed to an in-season one. Thank you Edge!

Reactions: Kupo

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Ahh so you're saying that the McDavid trade is most likley and off-season thing as opposed to an in-season one. Thank you Edge!

I expect them to potentially engage again on JP, I could see the Oilers asking about Buch, or even Skjei to be honest with you.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I expect them to potentially engage again on JP, I could see the Oilers asking about Buch, or even Skjei to be honest with you.

I know the names we all discuss consistently are Kreider, Strome and Andersson but Skjei, to me, is the guy many teams would have interest in and someone I could see the Rangers being open to moving. Specifically in the off-season.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know the names we all discuss consistently are Kreider, Strome and Andersson but Skjei, to me, is the guy many teams would have interest in and someone I could see the Rangers being open to moving. Specifically in the off-season.

I think Skjei is a guy who has more value than he's generally given credit for on here. I also think his importance to the Rangers is somewhat understated. I get the belief that he's not a first pairing defenseman. I agree with that sentiment. But until there is someone else to take on that role, and there isn't, he's going to be seeing time there. The latter point is a big reason why the Rangers aren't going to move him for the sake of moving him either. If they move him, it's likely for an upgrade or a nice package. But I don't think either of those options are imminent.

Buch or Skjei for JP? As part of a larger package coming our way I would hope.

I think if either were moved, it's a a larger package. No way I see them parting with either of those guys straight-up for JP.

I think they have an interest in JP, but I don't see him being a player they'd take that big of a gamble on at this point.

Another name they would have interest in is Benson.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t think the Rangers have any interest I. Moving Skjei at this time. Maybe in a couple years but I don’t think they are even considering it at this time. The

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
The Rangers have the highest scoring defense in the league. Why screw with that right now? Lundkvist could get traded for an impact player at another position. Anyone note the Brewers-Padres baseball trade last week? Two excellent young players traded because the puzzles didn’t fit right? Rangers could find a similar partner (Anaheim?)
Is this pure speculation or something of interest that you heard? I am having difficulty picturing Anaheim being interested in Lias and I dont think anyone else in our system is having difficulty "fitting." I would argue Howden doesnt fit but DQ doesnt seem to think so.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I hope the Rangers havent finished circling Dubas for Willy Nylander. In terms of Colorado and Boston I dont know who I would really want within the realm of possibility there. I guess Studnicka and Kaut would be my picks there.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t think the Rangers have any interest I. Moving Skjei at this time. Maybe in a couple years but I don’t think they are even considering it at this time. The

I too have a hard time seeing the Rangers moving Skjei in the more immediate future.

I continue to believe that unless they are packaging him to upgrade the LHD corps, any benefit they receive to another position would be negated by what they'd lose on the left side of their defense.

Reactions: Kovalev27

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I hope the Rangers havent finished circling Dubas for Willy Nylander. In terms of Colorado and Boston I dont know who I would really want within the realm of possibility there. I guess Studnicka and Kaut would be my picks there.
I think Nylander would be layering more of a similar type of player on the roster and I don't know it'd be an improvement. I certainly don't think he adds anything the team doesn't already have in both better and worse versions.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Potentially areas of focus that I think you'll see the Rangers explore:

1. More north-south type wingers. Something to compliment the finesse. Potential emphasis on speed --- getting to the net and taking advantage of the puck carrying abilities of playmakers.

2. More skill on the left side of the defense. I think they'd love to add a higher-end LHD.

3. Players in that Lemieux/ADA age range, maybe a year younger. Guys who are on the cusp of the NHL, with upside.

Potential areas that I don't think are as much of a priority:

1. Centers. I know people are clamoring for the next big thing at center, but I don't know if this is the team's primary concern right now. Obviously there are always exceptions, but I don't believe this is going to be how they start conversations.

2. Draft Picks. Like a center, the Rangers wouldn't walk away from a deal if it was the best one on the table, but I don't think draft picks are their preferred currency this season.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Boston, Colorado and Edmonton were mentioned by Pierre LeBrun as being interested in Taylor Hall. Calgary, San Jose and Montreal were also listed as possible Hall suitors.

Those teams are basically Kreider’s market. The Flames were mentioned lasted February. He will be less expensive than Hall.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers have the highest scoring defense in the league. Why screw with that right now? Lundkvist could get traded for an impact player at another position. Anyone note the Brewers-Padres baseball trade last week? Two excellent young players traded because the puzzles didn’t fit right? Rangers could find a similar partner (Anaheim?)

Yeah, unfortunately I think this is the area where the negative affect of how risk adverse the GMs are really shines through.

Hockey in the NHL is a sport with fairly specialized roles. Stay at home Ds vs PMDs, speed or size, playmakers or snipers, drivers or guys that excels around the boards, all the different mental abilities — and so forth and so forth. To win you need to have built a fairly perfect puzzle.

In this context teams are more or less randomly awarded pieces with different abilities of which they have to build that almost perfect puzzle.

And yet, I cannot on the top of my mind think of one single example the last years where two teams went like ‘this kid X fell into your lap last season and he is a perfect fit for us and we have this kid Y that fell into our lap this season and he is perfect for you, so let’s trade’.

Logically, and if teams did what was best for them, we would see more moves like this. Like we are seeing none, and it just seems very very unlikely that there are not one single win/win trade out there that could be made.

The explanation is of course the flawed structure of management in hockey. No owner request immediate success, because everyone have realized that with the cap that will back fire. So you are always building towards 2-3 years, of not 5-6 years, down the road. And nobody — or extremely few — can evaluate if a GM is doing a good job in relation to building a good team a number of years down the road. Especially not owners in the NHL.

Every time you make a trade you expose yourself to fairly immediate criticism. This element is not there for a GM that doesn’t make trades. Sit still and do nothing and you will keep your really attractive and well paid job, try to roll the dice and you could be fired within the year. It’s as simple as that.

If I was an owner of a NHL team this is the first thing I would look into. Either by creating some kind of knowledgeable board towards which the GM have to answer and that is directed to second guess the GM, or even by simply setting out guidelines that the GM must pull of at least a trade or two per season (and ban rental trades because they suck).

OTOH it takes two to tango, so it’s not that easy even for the GM that tries to do the right things.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Potentially areas of focus that I think you'll see the Rangers explore:

1. More north-south type wingers. Something to compliment the finesse. Potential emphasis on speed --- getting to the net and taking advantage of the puck carrying abilities of playmakers.

2. More skill on the left side of the defense. I think they'd love to add a higher-end LHD.

3. Players in that Lemieux/ADA age range, maybe a year younger. Guys who are on the cusp of the NHL, with upside.

Potential areas that I don't think are as much of a priority:

1. Centers. I know people are clamoring for the next big thing at center, but I don't know if this is the team's primary concern right now. Obviously there are always exceptions, but I don't believe this is going to be how they start conversations.

2. Draft Picks. Like a center, the Rangers wouldn't walk away from a deal if it was the best one on the table, but I don't think draft picks are their preferred currency this season.
So Edge did Chytil's emergence change their minds?

This past draft all the talk was trying to get into the top-15 or so to nab that young center... This isn't to say I disagree with what you're saying... I think they need all of the above lol

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Get me Zegras please.

Reactions: bobbop

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So Edge did Chytil's emergence change their minds?

This past draft all the talk was trying to get into the top-15 or so to nab that young center... This isn't to say I disagree with what you're saying... I think they need all of the above lol

I think they'd still be open to adding the right center, the question is whether the right center will be available.

I think Zibanejad and Chytil have eased some of those concerns over the last 6-8 months. But I also think as the roster takes shape, it becomes easier to really get a grasp on emerging needs and priorities.

The Rangers could probably use more of everything other than RHDs and goalies at the moment. But if you were to rank them, I don't think center is at the top of the list anymore. At least not to the extent it arguably is on our board.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Boston, Colorado and Edmonton were mentioned by Pierre LeBrun as being interested in Taylor Hall. Calgary, San Jose and Montreal were also listed as possible Hall suitors.

Those teams are basically Kreider’s market. The Flames were mentioned lasted February. He will be less expensive than Hall.

I think Kreider will more or less assume the same role behind Hall that Hayes assumed behind Duchene.

I also think his return will more or less be in the same ballpark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce