Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Id do this:

Panarin/Zibanejad/Strome
Kreider/Chytil/Kakko
Lemieux/Howden/Buchnevich
Smith/Nieves/Fast

Clearly, Strome is carried by Panarin. I wouldn't want to break that up. Lemieux and Buchnevich have chemistry too.

I'd give the first line a lot of minutes, play the second and third lines about the same, but also give the fourth line between 10-12 minutes/game.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRangers16

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Personally, I'd argue that they need need some higher-end skill on that left side, or someone who sets the table and let's other players slide in behind them.

I think we have a good plethora of support players, but I'd like a little more of a cross-section there.

I think we have safer, simpler guys on the left side. And more longer-term guys who have more unique skill sets. But I'd like some options that kind of split the difference a little.

Right now, on the right side, we're debating who stays and goes among Trouba, ADA, Fox, Lundkvist and even Keane. We can arguably take one guy out of the equation and be relatively okay.

On the left side, if we take Miller off the table, it changes the dynamic substantially.
I don't think we're disagreeing, really.

All I'm saying is that with Skjei, Hajek, Rykov, Robertson, etc., etc. they're set for big, strong, smooth, top-4 players/prospects. Lindgren is already a rock as a gritty, physical (albeit smallish), defensive oriented guy on the 3rd pair. Miller has the potential to be an all situations stud on the top pair. Then, Jones and maybe Reunanen could be a Fox/ADA/Lundkvist on the left side.

So, would another Jones be great? Sure. But I don't see it as a top priority.

The only real need, as you say, is another guy who has the potential to play top pairing minutes.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
To me the lines are simple. The fling with Strome needs to be that just a fling. Panarin makes everyone look great. But Strome is a third line player A good one that can play up when needed. He should not be with Panarin.

Panarin Mika Kakko
Kreider Chytil Buchnevich
Lemieux Strome Fast
Smith Howden Fogarty/McKegg/Nieves

load up that top line let them run. Top teams in this league all do it. Boston has nothing behind their top line.

and frankly that Chytil line would be one of the best second lines in the league.

then you have a very solid trustworthy third line with some offensive ability.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't think we're disagreeing, really.

All I'm saying is that with Skjei, Hajek, Rykov, Robertson, etc., etc. they're set for big, strong, smooth, top-4 players/prospects. Lindgren is already a rock as a gritty, physical (albeit smallish), defensive oriented guy on the 3rd pair. Miller has the potential to be an all situations stud on the top pair. Then, Jones and maybe Reunanen could be a Fox/ADA/Lundkvist on the left side.

So, would another Jones be great? Sure. But I don't see it as a top priority. The only real need, IMO, is another guy who has the potential to play top pairing minutes.

I agree; we're really not disagreeing. Haha.

I think I'd like to find a guy who has the same impact on the left side that Trouba has on the right --- aka the guy that others fall in line behind.

I don't think that's Skjei, though it's his role by default right now. I think it could be Miller's someday, though I think he's going to be a guy who takes a little longer to become that type of player. And I'm not sure it's any of the other names we mentioned.

Now, I'm not saying that player on the left has to be on the level of a guy like Trouba per se. I'm thinking more about his role on this team, as it is and is likely to be constructed.

That's why I think that if Skjei goes, it's most likely a little further down the line if there's a chance to upgrade the position, or after someone else has assumed the role we're talking about.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Potentially areas of focus that I think you'll see the Rangers explore:

1. More north-south type wingers. Something to compliment the finesse. Potential emphasis on speed --- getting to the net and taking advantage of the puck carrying abilities of playmakers.

2. More skill on the left side of the defense. I think they'd love to add a higher-end LHD.

3. Players in that Lemieux/ADA age range, maybe a year younger. Guys who are on the cusp of the NHL, with upside.

Potential areas that I don't think are as much of a priority:

1. Centers. I know people are clamoring for the next big thing at center, but I don't know if this is the team's primary concern right now. Obviously there are always exceptions, but I don't believe this is going to be how they start conversations.

2. Draft Picks. Like a center, the Rangers wouldn't walk away from a deal if it was the best one on the table, but I don't think draft picks are their preferred currency this season.
I think we need wingers more than anything. Kreider, Strome, Fast could all be gone.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If I had to rank things, I'd say it's:

wingers

an upgrade to the left defense

center
How much of an upgrade? Are we looking at a Kevin Klein-type pickup? Or a top-4 D to split responsibilities with Skjei? What would the latter cost? Maybe there’s a UFA available.

Don’t the Sabres have like 15 top-4 defensemen? They need forwards.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm sure plenty will disagree, but I'm happy that Lias was viewed as too high of an ask from the Rangers perspective in a Puljujarvi trade.

Thing is, he alone was probably not to high an ask from the Rangers POV.

It's the + that was requested that made any potential deal too much

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How much of an upgrade? Are we looking at a Kevin Klein-type pickup? Or a top-4 D to split responsibilities with Skjei? What would the latter cost? Maybe there’s a UFA available.

When we talk about higher-end players being moved, I think as a board we've focused on forwards (Nylander, etc.). But I think the Rangers would be more interested if a similar situation emerged with a left defenseman --- whoever or wherever that may be (I'm not referencing a specific situation that is developing).

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I agree; we're really not disagreeing. Haha.

I think I'd like to find a guy who has the same impact on the left side that Trouba has on the right --- aka the guy that others fall in line behind.

I don't think that's Skjei, though it's his role by default right now. I think it could be Miller's someday, though I think he's going to be a guy who takes a little longer to become that type of player. And I'm not sure it's any of the other names we mentioned.

Now, I'm not saying that player on the left has to be on the level of a guy like Trouba per se. I'm thinking more about his role on this team, as it is and is likely to be constructed.

That's why I think that if Skjei goes, it's most likely a little further down the line if there's a chance to upgrade the position, or after someone else has assumed the role we're talking about.
100%. I do think, outside of Miller, Robertson may have a chance to be that guy. But if Miller doesn't pan out, no, there's no one who jumps out at you as an obvious candidate. Would be nice to add one more.

Reactions: Edge

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
When we talk about higher-end players being moved, I think as a board we've focused on forwards (Nylander, etc.). But I think the Rangers would be more interested if a similar situation emerged with a left defenseman --- whoever or wherever that may be (I'm not referencing a specific situation that is developing).
What would the Rangers be will long to part with for a 2LD?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

That I don't know.

I would suspect they might be willing to include Skjei if it was a significant upgrade --- Skjei at $5.25 m (or whatever) and assets, for a player upgrade at $7 million or something close to that.

If that deal isn't anywhere to be found, I think you might see them pursue moves where maybe there's a more advanced version of a young player they have --- say like Hajek.

But I suspect the former is the direction that would appeal the most to them. I also don't think today's article about Skjei is a pure coincidence in that regard.

Reactions: McSauer

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I think some of our guys are viewed higher than we think, and some of the guys this board loves are not viewed quite as highly as some would suggest.

Re: The Oilers specifically, I don't think our teams are completely done circling each other as potential trade partners --- and I'd carry that over into the off-season again.

I'd also include Colorado and Boston in that category.
I have been seeing Colorado attached to bigger names. I would be surprised if they paid up for any of our players.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You’re Jeff Gorton and Matt Keator (CK’s Agent) and says Chris really wants to come back. 5 years 30 mil. Front load it. Final offer or trade him at the deadline.

what do you say?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Rangers have 2LD. They need to aim higher and get a 1LD. I would call the Ducks, who are clearly rebuilding, for Lindholm. That’s the best fit. There is no reason the Rangers don’t have assets to get a deal done. Getting a 1D puts everyone where they should be.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts:

1. Panarin gives us an unique opportunity to put two players in a position where they more or less cannot fail to get to a level where they can score regularly in the NHL.

I think the brass had that in mind when they were making calls on Puljujärvi.

I think we are underestimating the impact of these things. Some might think — why would someone become better by playing with someone that is good? But the thing is, it takes a long time to all across the board develop enough to become a complete player. And if you spend those years playing in a smaller role, you won’t get enough training with the puck. But if you can bridge that gap by letting a kid really just tag a long for the ride, they will nurture their offensive game and top end ability while becoming complete players, as well as of course learning a lot from the guys they play with.

I think Pulju would have been a great fit with Panarin. The kid is 6’5 and still a little square, could improve with and without the puck. But he got a really quick kind around the net and he is really good at moving the puck the way Panarin does, he sees those passes and lanes that keeps he puck within the team. It would have been perfect for him to play with a guy that can slow the pace down and get the puck up ice.

There are other alternatives around the league, not sure if anyone fits as well as JP.

BUT, keep your eyes out for Gorton and co going for a bit of a reclamation project.

2. I am not sold on that Gorton sees TDA and Buch as long term players.

We have a loooong history of treating selected players as second rate citizens. It can drag on, or go fast, but everything steady and surely moves towards and ends with us splitting ways with them. Zucc and Stralsy are two examples. Zucc stayed here a long time because he did whatever it took to stay. Left so much money on the table. Stralsy really wanted to stay but we simply didn’t want him. JT Miller is another one.

It is what it is, sometimes good sometimes bad I recon. But I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we parted ways with these two the coming years. They just don’t have the pedigree of the type of players Gorton usually falls in love with.

3. It’s interesting to hear @Edge mention a top LD.

This is one of the big holes I am seeing also that I am expecting that management will try to do something about.

With all these things, cost of getting something done vs benefit of doing it can vary pretty much. I think we could gain pretty much short term for a cost that we certainly could overcome at LD. Improving us at center would be a heck lot more expensive.

I don’t know who they might target. Like a Roman Josi type would of course be perfect, but I recon of course that he won’t be moved. I’ve gleaned some at Ryan Suter, but he just can’t be an option due to the recapture penalty+LTIR impact (no need to go there if you don’t have to). I don’t think the math will add up with a UFAs like Krug. Hard to see OEL or Lindholm be traded.

It’s of course unlikely, but Sergachev has two guys infront of him at LD in Hedman and McD locked up for like what 6 more years. Playing him at RD will never be a long term solution.

Shayne Gostisbere could be an option. He had a great year and then he started losing confidence since he was used at RD. And haven’t found his footing. I don’t have great track of just how good he is right now. He was darn impressive a few years ago though, only 25 y/o. He is a bit of a personal favorite of mine, but with the caveat that I haven’t paid close attention to him in a while. Could he be had cheap? Any AV favorite going the other way?

Think we need that LD that can move the puck better than Skjei to be able to start doing better in the matchups against the best of the East. That guy is of course not easy to find...

Could also be a younger guy like Chychrun.

Gorton has assets to deal. I mean for the perfect fit, an offer of say Hajak and Buch could easily be afforded.

4. From my POV, I just can’t see that we wouldn’t trade Georgiev. I don’t see how the expansion draft can be any issue. There will be 70-80 guys out there that fits the criteria of the goalie that must be exposed. Hank will retire and we have an opening next to Shestyorkin. Can easily trade for a back-up or trade for a UFA to be that we can resign.

I really hope that Geo can get back on track and start to post some great numbers. But they maybe don’t have to be extremely good, because then his cap hit wouldn’t go through the roof. Could drive up his price a lot. Geo could be a very valuable asset.

5. We need more size if we trade Kreider.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
A few thoughts:

1. Panarin gives us an unique opportunity to put two players in a position where they more or less cannot fail to get to a level where they can score regularly in the NHL.

I think the brass had that in mind when they were making calls on Puljujärvi.

I think we are underestimating the impact of these things. Some might think — why would someone become better by playing with someone that is good? But the thing is, it takes a long time to all across the board develop enough to become a complete player. And if you spend those years playing in a smaller role, you won’t get enough training with the puck. But if you can bridge that gap by letting a kid really just tag a long for the ride, they will nurture their offensive game and top end ability while becoming complete players, as well as of course learning a lot from the guys they play with.

I think Pulju would have been a great fit with Panarin. The kid is 6’5 and still a little square, could improve with and without the puck. But he got a really quick kind around the net and he is really good at moving the puck the way Panarin does, he sees those passes and lanes that keeps he puck within the team. It would have been perfect for him to play with a guy that can slow the pace down and get the puck up ice.

There are other alternatives around the league, not sure if anyone fits as well as JP.

BUT, keep your eyes out for Gorton and co going for a bit of a reclamation project.

2. I am not sold on that Gorton sees TDA and Buch as long term players.

We have a loooong history of treating selected players as second rate citizens. It can drag on, or go fast, but everything steady and surely moves towards and ends with us splitting ways with them. Zucc and Stralsy are two examples. Zucc stayed here a long time because he did whatever it took to stay. Left so much money on the table. Stralsy really wanted to stay but we simply didn’t want him. JT Miller is another one.

It is what it is, sometimes good sometimes bad I recon. But I wouldn’t at all be surprised if we parted ways with these two the coming years. They just don’t have the pedigree of the type of players Gorton usually falls in love with.

3. It’s interesting to hear @Edge mention a top LD.

This is one of the big holes I am seeing also that I am expecting that management will try to do something about.

With all these things, cost of getting something done vs benefit of doing it can vary pretty much. I think we could gain pretty much short term for a cost that we certainly could overcome at LD. Improving us at center would be a heck lot more expensive.

I don’t know who they might target. Like a Roman Josi type would of course be perfect, but I recon of course that he won’t be moved. I’ve gleaned some at Ryan Suter, but he just can’t be an option due to the recapture penalty+LTIR impact (no need to go there if you don’t have to). I don’t think the math will add up with a UFAs like Krug. Hard to see OEL or Lindholm be traded.

It’s of course unlikely, but Sergachev has two guys infront of him at LD in Hedman and McD locked up for like what 6 more years. Playing him at RD will never be a long term solution.

Shayne Gostisbere could be an option. He had a great year and then he started losing confidence since he was used at RD. And haven’t found his footing. I don’t have great track of just how good he is right now. He was darn impressive a few years ago though, only 25 y/o. He is a bit of a personal favorite of mine, but with the caveat that I haven’t paid close attention to him in a while. Could he be had cheap? Any AV favorite going the other way?

Think we need that LD that can move the puck better than Skjei to be able to start doing better in the matchups against the best of the East. That guy is of course not easy to find...

Could also be a younger guy like Chychrun.

Gorton has assets to deal. I mean for the perfect fit, an offer of say Hajak and Buch could easily be afforded.

4. From my POV, I just can’t see that we wouldn’t trade Georgiev. I don’t see how the expansion draft can be any issue. There will be 70-80 guys out there that fits the criteria of the goalie that must be exposed. Hank will retire and we have an opening next to Shestyorkin. Can easily trade for a back-up or trade for a UFA to be that we can resign.

I really hope that Geo can get back on track and start to post some great numbers. But they maybe don’t have to be extremely good, because then his cap hit wouldn’t go through the roof. Could drive up his price a lot. Geo could be a very valuable asset.

5. We need more size if we trade Kreider.

Buch maybe, but not sure about TDA. Gorton specifically targeted him with the Stepan deal.

Reactions: Ola

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way Kreider would be turning 33 in April of the last year of that 5 year contract. Hardly an old man. If you could get him for 6 mil per he’s worth more to us playing here imo than for a b prospect and a pick in the 27-31 range.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
By the way Kreider would be turning 33 in April of the last year of that 5 year contract. Hardly an old man. If you could get him for 6 mil per he’s worth more to us playing here imo than for a b prospect and a pick in the 27-31 range.

The 5y x 5.25m contract Charlie Coyle signed might provide some hope.

Reactions: jas and Kovalev27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad