Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Reaves is a terrible hockey player. Lemieux on the other hand can carry the puck, crash the net, win 1-on-1 battles along the boards, block shots, and provide our team with a physical edge.

He’s also just 23 years old with about 90 career NHL games played. We’re looking at a player who still developing and will likely improve most aspects of his game.
Reaves is not a terrible hockey player by any means. You sound like Carp.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If the Rangers are going to trade Kreider today (highly unlikely), you can probably eliminate lot of the likely outposts (Edmonton, Arizona) based on his no trade protection. If that trade was to take place at the deadline, he would likely submit an updated list with better options for the Rangers to consider.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If they move Kreider, they better be doing just as well as they did in the Hayes trade, if not better. Kreider is a more impactful player with even better physical attributes for a deep playoff run.

depends on how he plays before being moved.

if he keeps doing what he’s done this year, we’re probably looking at a zuccarello return.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
@I Eat Crow I'd like to have Nylander and Kylington but that left side is rough when you remove Skjei. I don't trust Hajek to be a top pair at all, even though he's kinda forced into doing so with Trouba right now.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
@I Eat Crow I'd like to have Nylander and Kylington but that left side is rough when you remove Skjei. I don't trust Hajek to be a top pair at all, even though he's kinda forced into doing so with Trouba right now.
That's a defense that has no true top pairing. I'd give each pair 15 minutes a night at ES with Fox, DeAngelo, and Trouba getting the most PP time. Kylington has a rocket too and can play off the half wall to give the PP another look. Hajek, Lindgren, Trouba, and Kylington PK.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That's a defense that has no true top pairing. I'd give each pair 15 minutes a night at ES with Fox, DeAngelo, and Trouba getting the most PP time. Kylington has a rocket too and can play off the half wall to give the PP another look. Hajek, Lindgren, Trouba, and Kylington PK.

somewhere, Staal is crying.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If the Rangers are going to trade Kreider today (highly unlikely), you can probably eliminate lot of the likely outposts (Edmonton, Arizona) based on his no trade protection. If that trade was to take place at the deadline, he would likely submit an updated list with better options for the Rangers to consider.

Colorado is my pick and I feel we need to be pushing the trade now with their injuries and the fact that most teams dont have cap space.

Reactions: mschmidt64

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Lemieux's offense is starting to come. You can see he makes some very hard passes, that some guys can't handle. A 20-20 player with his style is something this team desperately needs and hopefully he can grow into that game.

If we're going with Strome still at C, I would not mind him getting a shot with him and Panarin. The order of these lines means very little, but keep the current 2nd line intact and have the other lines play out like this:

Panarin-Strome-Lemieux
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Kakko-Zibanejad-Fast
Gettinger-Howden-McKegg

Insulates Kakko with Fast and Zibanejad to help his concerns in his own end, lets Panarin and Strome continue their pairing and gives them some bite on the line, and the 2nd line has been developing some very nice chemistry, especially Chytil and Buchnevich. The 4th line has our PK and some good speed/size. Gets Smith into a 13F/7D role, as he has not been as effective as he was earlier in the season.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Reaves is a terrible hockey player. Lemieux on the other hand can carry the puck, crash the net, win 1-on-1 battles along the boards, block shots, and provide our team with a physical edge.

He’s also just 23 years old with about 90 career NHL games played. We’re looking at a player who still developing and will likely improve most aspects of his game.
Ok why does it have to be one or the other? Reaves is not a 'terrible hockey player'

We have Smith, McKegg and <enter flavoor of the week> on the 4th line. They don't bring enough.. At least Smith 'helps' on the PK. 2 other spots on the 4th line.

Washington will come back with a a bite. Wilson, Hathaway, Gudas and even Ovi will take shots. It's not a team you want to go this route with. Lemieux stood up but he's only 1 man.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It would be pretty impressive if we managed to get the full left side of the defense for a decade in Hajek rykov and Lindgren from a single trade deadline.

Seems unlikely but still.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Colorado is my pick and I feel we need to be pushing the trade now with their injuries and the fact that most teams dont have cap space.
I think Colorado will be big game hunters at the deadline. Especially if they weather their injuries and stay at the top. However, I think Kreider would be more of a plan B for them. Can you imagine Taylor Hall on Colorado?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
depends on how he plays before being moved.

if he keeps doing what he’s done this year, we’re probably looking at a zuccarello return.
He always has his spurts and streaks of points. He has 11 points in 19 games. .57 PPG, which is par for the course of his career. So if youre an interested team who has been a huge fan of what Kreider brings, then what he has done this far is no different than what he has done in years past. He was a .59 PPG for his career before this season. If he can have a few multi-point games and bump to .62 PPG that would be great. But again point is, the return value should not have changed based on his start to this season.

Before this season, Kevin Hayes was a .60 PPG going in. And sure he plays Center and PKs, but he certainly isn’t your typical 6’5” player in that he really isn’t physical at all. He is slow and at times very lethargic. And when you are struggling or not producing those poor attributes standout more while at the same time becoming invisible. Not quick enough to get in on the play and possess the puck. He is off to a putrid start this year. 8 points in 21 games. Awful.

Kreider still at the very least offers his speed which leads to puck retrieval and possession. He plays physical even if it is not consistent enough to everyone’s liking. He is the better player regardless of position.

Reactions: Cag29

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Reaves is not a terrible hockey player by any means. You sound like Carp.

If Reaves didn’t have that physical element to his game he would barely be an NHL player. Last season was his most effective one in his career.

I respect your opinion but I’ll agree to disagree here.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Ok why does it have to be one or the other? Reaves is not a 'terrible hockey player'

We have Smith, McKegg and <enter flavoor of the week> on the 4th line. They don't bring enough.. At least Smith 'helps' on the PK. 2 other spots on the 4th line.

Washington will come back with a a bite. Wilson, Hathaway, Gudas and even Ovi will take shots. It's not a team you want to go this route with. Lemieux stood up but he's only 1 man.

I don’t understand what you want right now. Are you suggesting we try and acquire Reaves?

ADA and Trouba can both throw down. It’s not just Lemieux. Smith can too.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

LDs are easier to find than rice in China. Hajak and Lindgren are perfectly OK NHLers. We are stuck with Staal. Rykov, Reunanen, so many guys in HFD — I have no concerns about the left side.

And please, god, do not give up assets for a LD like Kylington. I would throw myself in front of a train.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don’t understand what you want right now. Are you suggesting we try and acquire Reaves?

ADA and Trouba can both throw down. It’s not just Lemieux. Smith can too.
Reaves/Lemieux type of player. Or Tom Wilson but without being Tom Wilson

Mainly, someone that can hit. I'll take a Ryan Hollweg at this point

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Like I said, given how the history of the Rangers has been, the fan base tends to fall in love with players like this. But there has to be a middle ground. I am not saying that he is a top line player, but a middle 6? Why not? Good hands, clearly has talent based on where he was drafted.

People love Wilson, and with good reason. But I maintain that over the course of his career, Lemieux will be the more effective player and will be much more of a presence in the offensive zone.

Yeah, and what have annoyed me — forever — is that we have tried to fill this void with alibi vet goons forever. It’s these young guys who really can make a difference.

Wilson has been great for the Caps, but he will go in another direction soon enough.

Reactions: belford22

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I really don’t see why trading Kreider is unlikely

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To answer Fitzy’s question from the last thread, it’s DeAngelo over Kreider for me. His ability to break the puck out and start a rush is a HUGE help to every player he plays with. It’s a major catalyst nightly.

Couldn’t agree more. When we as a team get stuck, one of few who still manage to create stuff is TDA. Which is really valuable, and will be even more so the later in the season we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad