Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For what it's worth I'd be trying to sign DeAngelo now but I really dont see any scenario where we will be keeping him unless he really likes it here and is willing to take a team friendly deal, soemthing I doubt. It will be tough to see him go but the way he is playing offensively he could be well over 5 mill per year.
1) they cannot sign him now

2) where is he going? After this year, he heads to arbitration

3) If he keeps up his play and once the Rangers cap space is eased, he will get signed. This was not a throw in. Gorton targeted him in the deal.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Reaves is a terrible hockey player. Lemieux on the other hand can carry the puck, crash the net, win 1-on-1 battles along the boards, block shots, and provide our team with a physical edge.

He’s also just 23 years old with about 90 career NHL games played. We’re looking at a player who still developing and will likely improve most aspects of his game.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He’s also just 23 years old with about 90 career NHL games played. We’re looking at a player who still developing and will likely improve most aspects of his game.
Which is why I cannot believe how some people are pigeonholing him already

Reactions: Kupo

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
What does that mean? A guy who can skate at least ok and hit hard? We've got that. We've even got a guy who can keep up with the 1st line and hits a lot. A guy who can fight? We've got a few. I don't think we need any more.

I can see a Crouse and 1st for Kreider type of deal at the deadline, reuinte Kreider with Stepan. win win, get more futures back

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I mean, he put up 35 points the year before. I do disagree that he causes more trouble than he is worth. I think he is effective in what he does and when you play a reckless style of hockey, you are going to go over the edge sometimes.

Yeah, I'd take a tom Wilson on this team in a heartbeat. He's an underrated player in terms of his skill and he adds an element that is so unique in today's NHL. I love that Lemieux didn't hesitate in going after him and that's part of the reason I was so adamant in wanting him for over a year prior to him being brought in from Winnipeg.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he was drafted this year, that would be a 1st rounder (Thanks Vegas!)
Like I said, given how the history of the Rangers has been, the fan base tends to fall in love with players like this. But there has to be a middle ground. I am not saying that he is a top line player, but a middle 6? Why not? Good hands, clearly has talent based on where he was drafted.

People love Wilson, and with good reason. But I maintain that over the course of his career, Lemieux will be the more effective player and will be much more of a presence in the offensive zone.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Reaves is a terrible hockey player. Lemieux on the other hand can carry the puck, crash the net, win 1-on-1 battles along the boards, block shots, and provide our team with a physical edge.

I think Lemieux has a lot more potential than just a bottom six grinder. I think he can be a complimentary power forward who can play anywhere in a lineup, including the energy guy on a top line with two high-skill players. The guy who wins pucks, creates space and crashes the net. And stands up for the stars on his line. I really would like to see him in Fast’s spot on the top line for a few games. On the other hand, I don’t want to drive up the price of re-signing him, but if we can lock him up long term on a good deal and THEN put him in a top six role I think we’d have a stud. That doesn’t mean I see him being some 50+ point force, but a complimentary winger who opens space for your stars, causes havoc in front, bangs in 15-20 a year and picks up 40+ points is still valuable and if he clicks with a set of skill guys, the way Wilson does with Ovie and Kuzy than he may put up bigger numbers while allowing us to slot another high skill guy to a second line and create more depth.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I can see Lemieux as like a late career Mike Ricci type but absolutely not seeing the skill that would make him anything more than a toolsy complimentary piece.

Reactions: leetch99

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm really confused - Mike Ricci? Late career?

Do you mean, Mike Rupp?
I was under the impression that Ricci was like the take-a-beating type who did a lot of net front work since his early career offense deteriorated

didn’t really mean it in terms of demeanor but more the offensive role he’d fit

this was probably not my best comparison regardless

Reactions: Ola

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The hell are you talking about? Did you watch the game tonight? Lemieux was a major factor, he’s a legitimate deterrent. What were you expecting him to be?
A deternet? Wilson was running around all game? What are you talking about? We have completely different meaning of deterent

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm game for this scenario:

Skjei and a LHD prospect not named Miller or Jones to Toronto for Nylander

Kreider to Calgary for Kylington, a 3rd rounder and a conditional 2nd (contingent upon Kreider extending in Calgary)

Sign DeAngelo to an extension at Skjei's number (5 years, 5.5 million per)

Extend Buchnevich at 4 years, $6 million per

Not sure if it works cap wise.

Posting this so no one can accuse me of being a DeAngelo hater.

Line up next year

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Nylander
Andersson-Chytil-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Howden- Who knows, Fast walks

Hajek-Trouba
Kylington-DeAngelo
Lindgren-Fox

Shoot Staal into the sun. Smith is kept around as the swiss army knife extra.

That team could potentially make the playoffs and make noise if Kravtsov shows up to training camp hungry and receptive to feedback.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I also like Lemieux a lot more when he was playing with Lias last year.

Hopefully both can grow together and becomes grade-A pests

I can't stop thinking about tony and Lemmy once we're back in those PO's. Especially with a few more seasons of growth. I'd really hate to be any other team playing us. At the Garden. Oh man I wish I could rip Van winkle through this rebuild and wake up spring '21.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
We just need
I know I am going to take a ton of flack for this but honestly, I don't care. It doesn't mean that Wilson isn't effective. I'd take Wilson on this team in a heartbeat. Having both him and Lemieux would be too much for opposing teams to handle.
to find and target another player like Wilson or Lemieux. Grit with skill. Kreider should be that player but he’s not.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If they move Kreider, they better be doing just as well as they did in the Hayes trade, if not better. Kreider is a more impactful player with even better physical attributes for a deep playoff run.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
I’m still leaning toward allowing the LHD to simmer as it is. Skjei’s deployment isn’t blocking anyone better from the Pack at this time, and there is still plenty of room for growth from Hajek, Lindgren, Reunanen, etc.

Like many others, I don’t really see a future for Kreider on this team, especially since Chytil brings a lot of the same elements in a body that is eight years younger. If Strome continues to make a case for himself complimenting the top-six and special teams after Zibanejad returns, I would hope to see a reasonable extension coming for him. At that point, the players most deserving of top-six spots would be:
Panarin - Zibanejad - Strome
Buchnevich - Chytil - Kakko
(conveniently ordered by both position and age).

Overall, I don’t see a dire need for a franchise-altering pick in the upcoming draft to forge a competitive team in the near future (though obviously it would be nice). If Chytil happened to be born ten days later and the Rangers picked him 9th OA in the 2018 draft, There would be much more media around his current level of play. However, Chytil is more of a familiar face in the NHL with an impressive but less-sexy draft pedigree (Being the Rangers’ pick after Andersson) . If he manages to maintain his compete level, we’ll see more and more debate about Chytil’s potential as this team’s future 1C. The skill level and physical talent has been abundantly clear to us since his first NHL preseason right after he turned 18.

Reactions: Cag29

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
If they move Kreider, they better be doing just as well as they did in the Hayes trade, if not better. Kreider is a more impactful player with even better physical attributes for a deep playoff run.

But plays a less valuable position and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Hayes was having a career year when we traded him.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad