Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
l
Completely ignoring his shooting percentage he's just not that noticeable on the ice. He's not the fastest skater, not great defensively, you don't really see any of those wow plays or huge flashes from skill out of him. He makes some good touches passes and is a fine passer but I don't see amazing vision or anything. Just feels like a guy going through a really hot stretch and I'd much rather take advantage of that and get something much better than I originally expected for him (was figuring a 3rd) then take a risk going long term on someone like that.

Ryan Strome is #16, just incase you were watching someone else.

Reactions: kovazub94

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Didn't we just go through this with Hayes, with plenty of people saying he's just not good enough to give that big contract? Now we move on from him, and we're ready to give Strome a 5x5 (or more)?

If by the season's end we are desperate to keep Strome b/c we have Mika and no other reliable center, we're in trouble.

I don't think it has to be the extremes.

It doesn't have to be an automatic move, nor does it have to be 5x5.

I know this is a weird concept, but middle ground can be explored. How that middle ground is receive can then dictate the next steps.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Didn't we just go through this with Hayes, with plenty of people saying he's just not good enough to give that big contract? Now we move on from him, and we're ready to give Strome a 5x5 (or more)?

If by the season's end we are desperate to keep Strome b/c we have Mika and no other reliable center, we're in trouble.

Similar players, one is making 49 mill the other hopefully under the 25 mill you mentioned, preferably under 20...that's the difference.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
l

Ryan Strome is #16, just incase you were watching someone else.
No, it's a great and accurate description of Strome.

He doesn't do really do many "wow" moves, but a lot of simple good stuff. He's been better in the offensive end than I thought, but nothing AMAZING.

He is actually not good defensively

He's not winning any races to the puck often.

The most of the time you only know he's in on a scoring play because Sam and Joe mention that he's getting an assist/goal on it.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Completely ignoring his shooting percentage the guy has 11 assists in 16 games, including 4 in his last 3. He also now has 49 points in 78 games as a Rangers.

That's a hell of a hot stretch.

So seems like a great time to trade him then if other teams believe it to be the new normal for him which I don't. Should get a good return.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think Strome at 4x4 is a deal both team and player would be happy with. He doesn’t want to move again. He was almost out of the league in that Edmonton situation. He’s found a home here he talks about it often. He can play center and wing righty shot. I do not want him on the top line but I do like him as a 3C or 3RW that can move up like he’s doing now and produce when needed. There’s a lot of value in that.

there’s no way I pay Fast a dime more than he’s already making so if he wants to come back it’s not for a raise. Otherwise I let him go.

Kreider is such a tough decision I admittedly flip flop on it. Especially when you see Buchy playing so well. It’s one or the other for me there and I tend to believe Kravtsov can be a better Buchnevich but that remains to be seen.

Staal you’re going to have to buy out or hope he retires this summer. I don’t see a circumstance where he comes back not with these kids solidifying themselves. So you’ll have a few more bucks to work with.

Georgiev as I’ve said I’ve come to the conclusion he will be moved. They aren’t going to give him his next contract. Not with an ELC in Shesterkin dominating the A. Hank isn’t leaving. And they won’t ask him to. Although that would be ideal.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So seems like a great time to trade him then if other teams believe it to be the new normal for him which I don't. Should get a good return.

So this isn't going to last, it isn't the new normal, but a team is going to give us a good return?

I feel like if you're expecting the latter, you have to assume that there's at least some possibility that the former has to be true to some extent.

Otherwise there's no reason to assume there would be a good return. Subsequently, if the return isn't good, there's not much incentive for the Rangers to trade a player who is under control and having a career year.

At that point, they might as well hold onto him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So this isn't going to last, it isn't the new normal, but a team is going to give us a good return?

I feel like if you're expecting the latter, you have to assume that there's at least some possibility that the former has to be true to some extent.

Otherwise there's no reason to assume there would be a good return. Subsequently, if the return isn't good, there's not much incentive for the Rangers to trade a player who is under control and having a career year.

At that point, they might as well hold onto him.

No. I don't think it will last and it's not the new normal. There are 30 other teams. I'm sure some of them may think it is and be willing to give up a good return. We've seen teams buy in to stuff like this for years especially at the deadline.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No. I don't think it will last and it's not the new normal. There are 30 other teams. I'm sure some of them may think it is and be willing to give up a good return. We've seen teams buy in to stuff like this for years especially at the deadline.

Okay, so what would you consider a good return?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Completely ignoring his shooting percentage he's just not that noticeable on the ice. He's not the fastest skater, not great defensively, you don't really see any of those wow plays or huge flashes from skill out of him. He makes some good touches passes and is a fine passer but I don't see amazing vision or anything. Just feels like a guy going through a really hot stretch and I'd much rather take advantage of that and get something much better than I originally expected for him (was figuring a 3rd) then take a risk going long term on someone like that.

Completely ignoring his shooting percentage the guy has 11 assists in 16 games, including 4 in his last 3. He also now has 49 points in 78 games as a Rangers.

That's a hell of a hot stretch.

Well, Edge beat me to the punch but yeah. I would be able to understand your point better if it was reversed and he maybe had 11 goals and 5 assists. Strome has put up 50 points before with the Islanders so I don't think it is a stretch to say that this could be a norm for him. He could be a Grabner type player where he will excel in certain systems and do poor in others. Also, I really don't know how important it is that we see wow plays from Ryan Strome. Some guys don't play like that and just find a way to get it done. I mean look at John Mitchell AKA Johnny Malkin. Dude was flashy as could be but it never really resulted in anything.

I do certainly understand the whole wanting to sell high sentiment.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I get the sense that there's some panic about overpaying for Strome on is next contract.

I get that. I appreciate that. And I agree with it.

But I think we also have to define what we consider to be an overpayment.

I honestly don't think 5x5 is going to be on the table. I really don't. And if that's what the ask is, Strome will be moved.

I do think the ask will be more in the 4x4 range. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I consider it to be a good compromise, and a contract that doesn't reflect an expectation for him to keep doing what he did this year.

Now, even with 4x4 being the price, the Rangers could still elect to move Strome because they want the cap space and would rather use it to fill other areas.

My stance isn't so much about burning desire to keep Strome at all costs, it's about not considering his retention to be an automatic no.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't care to have Strome re-signed but the max I would go years wise is 3 for him if they did

It's not a long term commitment in case he regresses, and allows him to potentially get paid again at 29/30

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
2nd round pick + B level prospect.

My initial expectation was a 3rd.

And I think that's a fair expectation. I've felt his return is essentially in the same ballpark as Grabner, while Kreider's would be in the same ballpark as Hayes.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I honestly feel Strome has found a fit here, I'm doubtful other teams take a gamble on him being a fit in their system after he was miscast in Edmonton and the Islanders. He wont get you anything really good for a return so if you can sign him 4 years 4.5 per i think you do it

Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I get the sense that there's some panic about overpaying for Strome on is next contract.

I get that. I appreciate that. And I agree with it.

But I think we also have to define what we consider to be an overpayment.

I honestly don't think 5x5 is going to be on the table. I really don't. And if that's what the ask is, Strome will be moved.

I do think the ask will be more in the 4x4 range. Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I consider it to be a good compromise, and a contract that doesn't reflect an expectation for him to keep doing what he did this year.

Now, even with 4x4 being the price, the Rangers could still elect to move Strome because they want the cap space and would rather use it to fill other areas.

My stance isn't so much about burning desire to keep Strome at all costs, it's about not considering his retention to be an automatic no.

4.5 per year 4 years is most I would offer Strome. since he makes 3.2 i think that is a good raise. id offer some type of stability partial no trade. he earned it here. he knows he has a good thing here. it is up to him if he wants to stay

Reactions: Shesterkybomb

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We discussed Derrick Brassard as a comparable for Strome when he was traded from Columbus to the Rangers. Brassard was never a super flashy player. Columbus was disappointed in him as he never took that big step forward they always thought he could. He settled into a nice 2/3C role in NY and even in Ottawa considering who he was playing with consistently.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I know this is a weird concept, but middle ground can be explored. How that middle ground is receive can then dictate the next steps.

He makes 4m now. This thread is full of mixed opinions - some saying be conservative, but plenty saying go 5/6 years, go 5m, etc. Not sure why you're responding with a snide remark unless you've got half this thread hidden and didn't just see loads of posts willing to pay him those type of numbers.

I'm not speaking to the people saying they'd only offer him a 4/10 or 4/15 or whatever deal. I'm surprised at people being so willing to give him larger deals. Both because of Strome's resume, but more because overall the capologist voice was so loud in the offseason and has seem to fade a bit.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

What interests me about the league is how teams value these middle ground contracts. The 4x4 you have mentioned elsewhere for example.

Specifically, I'm thinking about JT Miller. We were amused with the contract he signed in Tampa and they got a surprising return. Part of that is certainly the fanbase trying to find a victory in the McDonagh trade, which was perceived as poor (debatable). But Miller had a reputation and he didn't light the world on fire in Tampa with all of that talent. But Vancouver needed veteran help on a reasonable contract. And they paid handsomely.

If we can keep Strome on a modest deal and avoid no move clauses, there becomes a manageable risk since he plays up and down the lineup and in various positions. We can probably move him later on for a net gain if he is forced out. Once we get into risks, or tough decisions, we may as well move on.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I honestly don’t know what to tell you / how you watch games if you don’t notice Strome. Kind of also falls into place that you think Lias’ play on the 4th line deserves a promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad