Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Strome seems to really enjoy being on this team. The NYR rehabilitated his career. He could be our 3c and our top 6 fill in for injury’s. Seems like a perfect match. Does he want to cash out or carve out a nice career with an original 6 team? I don’t see Howden becoming the current Strome. Filling the 3c for the next 5 years sounds good. 6yrs 28million

6 years for Strome is a biiiittttttt much for me. A shorter deal like 3 x $4.5? Sure.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Maybe just maybe we shouldn't offer an inconsistent player a four year deal based on their performance in a contract year

He was playing well since he got here. I'm good with 4 year deal 4.5, takes Kreiders money. It's a win for everyone, if he drifts into 5+, the pressure to perform could build.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Strome seems to really enjoy being on this team. The NYR rehabilitated his career. He could be our 3c and our top 6 fill in for injury’s. Seems like a perfect match. Does he want to cash out or carve out a nice career with an original 6 team? I don’t see Howden becoming the current Strome. Filling the 3c for the next 5 years sounds good. 6yrs 28million

I think I'd balk at a 5 or 6 year deal for Strome. 3 or 4 I can get behind if he has a strong finish to the year but beyond that I'm skeptical.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Could we get a first for Strome?

No, I'm doubtful, we didnt get one for Zuccarello. Also, I'm past the point of getting picks for players, I'd prefer young prospects or players that are closer to the nhl than a late first rounder. We have to turn the corner soon before our young players all need contracts.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Could we get a first for Strome?

I wouldn't *expect* a first for Strome. I think that would be setting yourself up for disappointment. However, it is hard to ignore his 16 points in 15 games. Even if he continues at a pace remotely close to 1.06 points per game (unlikely), it could be possible. Strome did once have 50 in 81 for the Islanders so it isn't as if he is lacking the talent and maybe a GM who has intentions on re-signing Strome would pony up a late 1st.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I could live with 4x3 or 4x4.

When we start drifting into 4x5 or 5x5, my comfort goes down considerably.

Same. I really don’t see a reason to go over $4m per. Even if he’s current contract is $3.1. Strome has been underperforming it for most of its term before coming here. He didn’t earn a significant raise and I’d be fine moving him if his demands are “market based” where he could probably find a suitor willing to risk more $$ and years.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Strome is in an interesting position. Going into this season, he was probably looking at a lower AAV and a very short term deal on his next deal. He just saw good depth players either be required to take very low cap hits or get no deals leading into training camp this past season. Teams will be tight up to the cap this upcoming off-season as well.

Does he test the market and attempt to squeeze out every last penny or does he stay in a good situation in NY and take slightly less term/AAV.

I'd be agreeable to a 3 year deal @ ~$3.5m per season. Maybe bump that up slightly to $3.85-$4m if needed. Especially if the remainder of the season shows that he has a nice chemistry with Panarin. That ability would make him invaluable to the organization in the fact that it would allow Mika and Chytil to be the foundation of the other (2) lines

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Don't mean to force-feed you Puljujarvi as a trade option, but one more thing about him. He didn't say he will be staying in Finland for the whole season. He said he's focused to playing the whole season there, but somehow media/translation got it wrong again. Staying in Finland is a fine option, but he's said he's open to coming back already this season if there's a trade.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I would like to see us ice this forward group for a few games:

Pan - Zib - Strome
Kreider - Chytil - Buch
Lemmy - Lias - K2
Wedding Crasher/Keg/Comet - Howden - Fast

that’s a good idea given Pan and Strome are doing well together ... opens up C for the kids

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With our cap crunch next year, I think we will have no choice but to sell high on strome unless he wants to sign at a huge discount. Even if you think he’s worth keeping he isn’t high enough on the priority list to make his cap hit fit.

If he was a rfa the following summer it might be a different story but I think ultimately the cap will force our hand here

He’s still RFA after this season, right? To me a likely scenario for Strome is to try to get another good season after this one here on a team friendly one-year deal to be able to cash in when he becomes a UFA. The Rangers will probably also be willing to go along with this approach.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There's no way Strome gets a 5 or 6 year deal from anyone. Even if he puts up 80 points this year, he isn't getting that. His track record just doesn't support that kind of commitment.

Grabner is a good comparison. He got a 3 year deal. Granted, he was coming off a poor showing with the devils, but his success as a Ranger earned him that much. His career had a somewhat similar trajectory to Strome's. Started off well, then tanked, then regained value in the right situation.

Unless some team offers us something we can't refuse, I'd be inclined to re-sign Strome. His value was low enough before coming here that he can be signed to a bargain deal, assuming he continues to produce for us beyond this year.

3 years / 15 mil or 4 years / 18 mil. Somewhere in that range. If he wants 4 years, I want a lower cap hit. No NMC, but willing to give him a limited NTC.

Reactions: Lua

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
He’s still RFA after this season, right? To me a likely scenario for Strome is to try to get another good season after this one here on a team friendly one-year deal to be able to cash in when he becomes a UFA. The Rangers will probably also be willing to go along with this approach.

Strome had a good season last year and even better this year. If I were his agent I'd be trying to get him to cash in on a long term deal after this season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Are the folks that want to keep Strome on board with trading Howden? Just trying to figure out who stays and who goes, lol

Strome doesn't need to play center. Kreider will be traded and we don't have a lot of prospect depth on the wings. Having a guy like Strome, who we should be able to re-sign to a reasonable contract, could be very helpful. He can play top 6 center in the event of an injury, or anywhere in the top 9 as needed.

It's possible that one of Howden/Andersson will be traded, but I don't think it's dependent on what happens with Strome.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strome had a good season last year and even better this year. If I were his agent I'd be trying to get him to cash in on a long term deal after this season.

And how do you suppose he’d be able to accomplish this if his client is still RFA? Surely not by sitting out.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just a reminder that Strome is a RFA. I've actually had to remind myself of this fact, because I keep thinking he's an UFA. As a result the Rangers won't be bidding against an open market.

I would also suspect that Strome's future is somewhat tied to Chytil. If Filip keeps doing what he's been doing, he will be the second line center. How Strome adapts to playing on the wing, or in different roles, will probably impact the approach taken by the Rangers.

With all of that said, I think he gets moved for several reasons:

1. Chytil assumes the second line role, and one of Howden or Andersson is in the third line spot.

2. They prefer to sell high.

3. They figure they'd like to have the money when it comes to re-upping ADA, and maybe adding another depth piece elsewhere.

The fact that signing Strome or trading him is even a discussion is a positive development for the Rangers.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Rangers buyout Staal and do the following, Strome easily fits...

ADA - 5 years @ $4.75m
Lemieux - 2 years @ 1.6m
Fast - 3 years @ $2.7m
Strome - 4 years @ $4m
Georgiev - 2 years @ $1.75m

Trades:
Andersson for JP

Sign JP for 2 years @ $1m per season

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
_____-Zibanejad-Buch
Lemieux-Chytil-JP
Smith-Howden-Fast

Hajek-Trouba
Skjei-ADA
Lindgren-Fox
Rykov

Hank
Georgiev

With a $83m cap, that leaves ~$3.5m in cap space

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Trade Strome he’s bound to regress .... if Chytil takes steps forward it’s an easier move too

Every player is bound to regress at some point. We should be able to re-sign Strome to a deal that is lower than what his numbers this year would suggest, based on his history. So even if he regresses a bit, it will likely still be a relatively fair deal.

Let's say he puts up 65 points this year and we sign him to a 3 x 5 contract. Next year he puts up 45 points. That's still a decent return on our investment.

I'm sure Gorton will do his due diligence. He'll talk to other GMs and see what the market is for him. If there's a deal to be made that is too good to pass up, Gorton will take it. If Strome's camp wants more than Gorton is willing to give, he'll look to move him. I just can't see Strome/his agent asking for a very large number and/or very long term regardless of the numbers he puts up this year. I don't think there's a team in the league that would give him a contract like that, and his agent should be smart enough to realize it.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If the Rangers buyout Staal and do the following, Strome easily fits...

ADA - 5 years @ $4.75m
Lemieux - 2 years @ 1.6m
Fast - 3 years @ $2.7m
Strome - 4 years @ $4m
Georgiev - 2 years @ $1.75m

Trades:
Andersson for JP

Sign JP for 2 years @ $1m per season

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
_____-Zibanejad-Buch
Lemieux-Chytil-JP
Smith-Howden-Fast

Hajek-Trouba
Skjei-ADA
Lindgren-Fox
Rykov

Hank
Georgiev

With a $83m cap, that leaves ~$3.5m in cap space

i rather trade Fast than offer 2.7 per year. I rather resign McKegg to a 2 year deal at 1 mil per. Andersson for JP is awful.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
What makes you think it won't continue?

Completely ignoring his shooting percentage he's just not that noticeable on the ice. He's not the fastest skater, not great defensively, you don't really see any of those wow plays or huge flashes from skill out of him. He makes some good touches passes and is a fine passer but I don't see amazing vision or anything. Just feels like a guy going through a really hot stretch and I'd much rather take advantage of that and get something much better than I originally expected for him (was figuring a 3rd) then take a risk going long term on someone like that.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Didn't we just go through this with Hayes, with plenty of people saying he's just not good enough to give that big contract? Now we move on from him, and we're ready to give Strome a 5x5 (or more)?

If by the season's end we are desperate to keep Strome b/c we have Mika and no other reliable center, we're in trouble.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Completely ignoring his shooting percentage he's just not that noticeable on the ice. He's not the fastest skater, not great defensively, you don't really see any of those wow plays or huge flashes from skill out of him. He makes some good touches passes and is a fine passer but I don't see amazing vision or anything. Just feels like a guy going through a really hot stretch and I'd much rather take advantage of that and get something much better than I originally expected for him (was figuring a 3rd) then take a risk going long term on someone like that.

Completely ignoring his shooting percentage the guy has 11 assists in 16 games, including 4 in his last 3. He also now has 49 points in 78 games as a Rangers.

That's a hell of a hot stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad