Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Listening to the hockey news podcast mock draft..had us taking farabee with boqvist and j.k. still on the board at 9.

I wouldn't be shocked. Something tells me the Rangers are going USNTDP their first pick. One of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes or Farabee. Tkachuk and Farabee being, IMO, the most likely targets. Two character guys with high floors and very high ceilings who can compliment what the Rangers have filled the pipeline with thus far. They get their guy and then start taking some riskier players with their later picks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't be shocked. Something tells me the Rangers are going USNTDP their first pick. One of Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes or Farabee. Tkachuk and Farabee being, IMO, the most likely targets. Two character guys with high floors and very high ceilings who can compliment what the Rangers have filled the pipeline with thus far. They get their guy and then start taking some riskier players with their later picks.

I would say the Rangers particularly like this year's crop of kids from the US program.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Isn't Edmonton in the market for a PPQB, a right handed one at that?

There would be some cap issues to work out but I'd be all for the Rangers using Shattenkirk to try to get that #10 plus some other assets.

Not that it's feasible, he has a clause and Edmonton will likely be on it, but I just don't see how Shattenkirk's remaining 3 years really fit into any of this unless of course the Rangers are doing some quick rebuild thinking they can pull off something no other team has at least since the salary cap.

More likely Kreider which I'm not sure I could get behind unless the deal was better than I think it will be, which I guess is possible especially if they are taking back some form of cap dump.

Also I am not very enthralled with the Tkachuk idea, at #9 I get it but I still think it's more likely in hindsight he is ranked in a couple years as like the 8th or 9th best prospect where as there will be a couple prospect taken later who end up ranked like 4th or 5th best.

Anyway, I am getting the feeling I am not going to love, maybe not even like what they planning to do, rushed rebuild which is actually just another retool based on their idea of leadership, character, grit or whatever is just not what I'd be looking to do given their likely future playoff competition should they get to that level.

No hard feeling to those who would like/love that, I'm just not feeling it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Id be thrilled with boqvist kravtsov and bokk

The Boqvist situation is strange.

I still have him fourth on my list --- the upside is too damn high for me.

And yet he's a guy who just seems to keep sliding and sliding. Yes there are question marks from a playing standpoint, but nothing that the other prospects don't have as well.

There are rumors of a couple of concussions, but information is scarce on the subject and established sources really haven't latched on to the news.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’d stake my reputation that Kreider will be better than tkachuk. I think he’s massively overrated
I’d bet a lot of money to say Tkachuk will be better than Kreider and it won’t be close. Yes, he’s overrated when people talk of him like a top 5 pick but he’s a very good prospect who does pretty much everything better than Kreider. He doesn’t have Kreider’s speed (let’s be honest though 95% of this league doesn’t have his speed) but Tkachuk is still very fast and a great skater, good shot, nose for the net, more gritty, much better playmaker etc. I’m not even that high on Tkachuk but I’ve started to come around on him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I’d bet a lot of money to say Tkachuk will be better than Kreider and it won’t be close. Yes, he’s overrated when people talk of him like a top 5 pick but he’s a very good prospect who does pretty much everything better than Kreider. He doesn’t have Kreider’s speed (let’s be honest though 95% of this league doesn’t have his speed) but Tkachuk is still very fast and a great skater, good shot, nose for the net, more gritty, much better playmaker etc. I’m not even that high on Tkachuk but I’ve started to come around on him.
The only thing Tkachuk is better at than Kreider is passing and like, elbowing

Reactions: bernmeister

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The only thing Tkachuk is better at than Kreider is passing and like, elbowing
Tkachuk has much better hands, passing, vision, IQ, and shot. More gritty, better defense. This is not as of now obviously but this is how I project it. For right now, Tkachuk has better hands and playmaking overall (passing, creativity, offensive IQ) and is more physical. Their shots are close right now but I expect Tkachuks to improve from good to really good.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
When is the draft date, end of June?
My memory is always bad with such things that and birthdays.

Nevermind I figure it out (22nd of June), wow only 7 days! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad