Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Whats the deal with HF today? Had to fire up firefox just so I can post.

Anyway, If Ottawa decides to Give the 4th pick in the draft to Colorado to complete the Duchene trade, is there a match there to move up?

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Whats the deal with HF today? Had to fire up firefox just so I can post.

Anyway, If Ottawa decides to Give the 4th pick in the draft to Colorado to complete the Duchene trade, is there a match there to move up?

They were 2nd in the Hayes sweepstakes, obviously it would take more but it’s a start.

It doesn’t sound like the rangers want to move Hayes for a draft pick though.

Reactions: NYRKING30

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
They were 2nd in the Hayes sweepstakes, obviously it would take more but it’s a start.

It doesn’t sound like the rangers want to move Hayes for a draft pick though.
Yeah I get the sense the Rangers aren't in a hurry or have trading Hayes at the top of their priorities at the moment. I actually forgot that they were 2nd before signing with us. I think Gorton has tried or attempted to trade up more times the past 2 years then Sather did in 15. Refreshing to see even though nothing ever happened.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah I get the sense the Rangers aren't in a hurry or have trading Hayes at the top of their priorities at the moment. I actually forgot that they were 2nd before signing with us. I think Gorton has tried or attempted to trade up more times the past 2 years then Sather did in 15. Refreshing to see even though nothing ever happened.

Even if it didn't pan out, it's at least a little encouraging that the players they supposedly wanted have had very good returns or at least progressed well since their respective drafts.

We're not hearing stories of targeting Alex Nylander or Jake Bean.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Even if it didn't pan out, it's at least a little encouraging that the players they supposedly wanted have had very good returns or at least progressed well since their respective drafts.

We're not hearing stories of targeting Alex Nylander or Jake Bean.
So refreshing to see. It's also great to hear that they are going BPA at 9, we all know how for years and years that was never a case. This time around the Rangers are heavily emphasizing skill. I love it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We're way past that...

It's weird for me to realize that 90 percent of people on here only know me from posting, and not from reporting for the site.

When someone who isn't familiar with me wonders what I'm referencing, I have to remind myself that they weren't here when I was writing and/or aren't aware of my background.

Reactions: NYRKING30

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't get why so many people are against trying to trade for Panarin.

Sticker shock?

I think there's a general feeling of wanting to see who/what we have before going after any big trades.

In time, most people will become fairly okay with moving young assets. But for now, I think they want to feel like the Rangers have a decent shot to identify and keep the best of the harvest.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
As a rebuilding team, our focus should be on drafting and developing the next Panarin. Imo of course.
To me, Panarin would be part of this rebuild. It's not like he's a 30 year old player who's looking for a 5-7 year deal. If you can extend him now for 5-6 years, that's the prime time span when these draft picks will be coming into play. He's Kreider's age, not Zucc's age. Additionally, he's elite level talent, I'd be in.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
To me, Panarin would be part of this rebuild. It's not like he's a 30 year old player who's looking for a 5-7 year deal. If you can extend him now for 5-6 years, that's the prime time span when these draft picks will be coming into play. He's Kreider's age, not Zucc's age. Additionally, he's elite level talent, I'd be in.

I also think there's some concern when players inch closer to 30 in today's game. That's quickly becoming a turning point for a lot of players and there's some uncertainty as to how things are going to look a few years from now.

In Panarin's case, he'll be 27 this year, so he's also guy who might be around 30 just as this team is starting to really put all the pieces together.

Couple in the fact that the board has always skewed toward younger players, and this particular audience might have some hesitation.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I also think there's some concern when players inch closer to 30 in today's game. That's quickly becoming a turning point for a lot of players and there's some uncertainty as to how things are going to look a few years from now.

In Panarin's case, he'll be 27 this year, so he's also guy who might be around 30 just as this team is starting to really put all the pieces together.

Couple in the fact that the board has always skewed toward younger players, and this particular audience might have some hesitation.
That's a fair take. I'm ok doing it as long as I keep the integrity of my rebuild.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you trade for Panarin (pending there's a contract extension in this), he IS part of your rebuild. He's not a 30 year old rental. He's the same age bracket as Kreider.

I disagree. You're likely only getting Panarin by trading the pieces you're trying to build with. You make that deal when you have a surplus of assests, not while you're trying to stockpile them.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Assuming we sign him to a lengthy extension are you guys ok with Hayes and 26 this year and a LD prospect of Columbus choosing for Panarin

I am

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Elite level talent is not something you can simply ignore.

Rangers won't be getting elite talent in this draft, and maybe not next year's draft either. And they don't have any in the system or on the roster.

They can groom all the prospects they want, but chances are none of them will be game changers like Panarin is.

Nor advocating a trade here, just food for thought. A Panarin trade is 100% worth discussing.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
I don't get why so many people are against trying to trade for Panarin.

if hes available, why not??? hes 26 yrs old still young!

Hayes, Deangelo, Names/Spooner & 1st for Panarin & Dubinsky..

make dubi play 3rd LW with Anderson and if not hes a center who can help 2nd or 3rd line..

its a pipe dream they're not moving him but worth looking into!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad