Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Seattle can not "take" a pending UFA. Until the UFA period starts, the team would still have exclusive negotiating rights with their player. In this situation, Seattle would also have rights to negotiate with the pending UFA, and if they sign the player, he would count as their choice from that team, but they can not "take" him.

This would potentially allow the team who has Brodin's rights to only protect 3 defensemen, allowing them to protect 7 forwards, while having a handshake agreement to sign Brodin after the ED.

You're right, that makes sense in terms of expansion draft rules, however it is not very probably scenario that nyr trade for Brodin in 2020 (giving up some assets) and have handshake agreement with him almost one year before ED (because his play in 2020-21 can change his value significantly). It's quite risky so you cant tell Brodin wouldn't be relevant for the ED.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If the Rangers are going to trade for a quality second line center (or someone who can grow into that role), it almost certainly means DeAngelo will be used in a trade. Centers don’t grow on trees. You are not going to get that caliber player for spare parts. Vegas is clearly an option that make sense and I am sure there are others. If there’s no value for value deal available, I expect Tony to be here next year.

Beyond that, I expect 1 or 2 buyouts to create salary cap room. Depending on how much money that frees up I look for the Rangers to resign Fast on a 1 or 2 year contract, Strome on a one year contract and 1 or 2 stopgap veteran defensemen to be signed. Edmundson or Dillon possibilities here.

Bottom line is I expect a busy off season but more geared to short term signings rather than wholesale deals.

would Vegas trade Glass or Karlsson for ADA? I just don’t see them trading Glass personally, but if we could pull that off I would be ecstatic

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Dermott is a 3rd pairing D.

I mean as a Staal replacement? I guess.

I agree, but a young 3rd pair guy who won’t cost much and can play without being a tire fire is an upgrade for our left side. Gotta shop on a budget.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Itd probably be like Dermott + 3rd

I think that would be pretty skewed value for the Rangers. As projectable as Georgiev is, he's still pretty unproven and is quite inconsistent. I'm not sure he gets Dermott alone who has shown a bit more in the NHL.

If the Leafs were going to add Georgiev though, then it stands to reason that they likely don't need Campbell. If Hank retired he'd be a serviceable backup and meets the expansion draft requirement as well. Georgiev and a prospect for Dermott and Campbell?

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I hear what you're saying but I don't think that the alarm is sounding just yet. Trouba is only 26 and we have him for 6 more years. I think they can experiment a little bit more if needed. I of course would love the perfect partner to fall into our laps, but it might not be in the cards.

As far as Dermott, I don't think he'd be cost prohibitive. Leafs could use some cap space and a number of LD already in the fold. The Carolina 1st might be the right value if they end up in the conference final, but if it stays in the early 20's I think it's too much. Around 23-25 is when I think there's a bit of a drop in quality. Maybe they'd be interested in Georgiev given that Andersson flaked out again in the post-season. Maybe they like Lias Andersson as a guy they can sit on for a year. Who knows?
If Trouba has another below par year things are going to get ugly very quickly. A 2nd is probably about right for Dermott. No complaint about not having one, but I don’t want to give early 20s Pick for a dman that was in and out of the Leafs. I think if Leafs wanted Georgiev it would have been done by now. I’m not anti Dermott but that’s going to be a weird negotiation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I hear what you're saying but I don't think that the alarm is sounding just yet. Trouba is only 26 and we have him for 6 more years. I think they can experiment a little bit more if needed. I of course would love the perfect partner to fall into our laps, but it might not be in the cards.

As far as Dermott, I don't think he'd be cost prohibitive. Leafs could use some cap space and a number of LD already in the fold. The Carolina 1st might be the right value if they end up in the conference final, but if it stays in the early 20's I think it's too much. Around 23-25 is when I think there's a bit of a drop in quality. Maybe they'd be interested in Georgiev given that Andersson flaked out again in the post-season. Maybe they like Lias Andersson as a guy they can sit on for a year. Who knows?
If Trouba has another below par year things are going to get ugly very quickly. A 2nd is probably about right for Dermott. No complaint about not having one, but I don’t want to give early 20s Pick for a dman that was in and out of the Leafs. I think if Leafs wanted Georgiev it would have been done by now. I’m not anti Dermott but that’s going to be a weird negotiation.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Eh, might be in the minority but I just assume give Strome 2 years as opposed to signing Turris.
Depending on the contract it might make sense to capitalize on Strome's value and sign Turris. But if the contracts are similar then just keep Strome.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Eh, might be in the minority but I just assume give Strome 2 years as opposed to signing Turris.
I mean, that's probably whats going to happen, but it'd be nice for a guy that's going to be playing as much as he will to at least be good at more than one thing (just passing in Stromes case), not to mention he'd most likely come in at a smaller price point

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Dermott is a 3rd pairing D.

I mean as a Staal replacement? I guess.

We need a 3rd pairing LD and a top-pairing LD, assuming Lindgren sticks with Fox. He's a clear upgrade on Staal, who would likely be bought out in this case, and still has potential to evolve into a top-4 defensemen.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Problem is... this is exactly what TML needs with their cap.

100% but TML clearly NEEDS to trade one of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander to balance their shit show. A guy like Dermott has value but doesn’t solve anything. They need to dump Barrie and Nylander and invest in top 4 D.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
100% but TML clearly NEEDS to trade one of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander to balance their shit show. A guy like Dermott has value but doesn’t solve anything. They need to dump Barrie and Nylander and invest in top 4 D.
But Geo doesn't solve any of that? :huh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Well we know the Leafs wanted Georgiev leading up to the deadline but wouldn't meet the ask. Another early exit might put some pressure on them. The Rangers supposedly wanted a forward like Kapanen coming back but their position may have changed as well since then. Like I said, I wouldn't give them the Carolina first unless it was 28/29/30/31. Then I'd at least consider it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Depending on the contract it might make sense to capitalize on Strome's value and sign Turris. But if the contracts are similar then just keep Strome.

Yeah I mean I can see the trade angle, but I have a tough time seeing much of a market for Strome. Maybe Calgary who could use another RH forward, but what kind of value are they giving up?

I mean, that's probably whats going to happen, but it'd be nice for a guy that's going to be playing as much as he will to at least be good at more than one thing (just passing in Stromes case), not to mention he'd most likely come in at a smaller price point

I don't think he'd be that cheap to sign. I would have to think he'd have a number of suitors as a UFA.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah I mean I can see the trade angle, but I have a tough time seeing much of a market for Strome. Maybe Calgary who could use another RH forward, but what kind of value are they giving up?

I don't think he'd be that cheap to sign. I would have to think he'd have a number of suitors as a UFA.
I'm not sayin league minimum, like a 1-2 year deal at $3m per. And the Rangers would have a pretty good argument to make about putting him in a real good position to get his career back on track while he's collecting buyout checks from Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad