Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
does he really though? or did he just have no other options with zero depth and no cap space? staal was a healthy scratch early in the year but hajek crapped the bed and was awful...in the playoffs staal was 6th in ice time by a good margin and played under 15:00/game at ES during the season...and quinn went with smith who was his 4th line winger on the top pair after skjei got traded...

that doesn't tell me he thinks staal is good. that tells me that we had 6 nhl dmen and he had no choice.

He could have played Smith on D and used Staal as an extra pre Skjei trade. Smith was used at F to accommodate Staal.

He is a major, major MAJOR problem. even if its 15 ish minutes a game, thats 1/4th of the game where you're really putting yourself at a disadvantage.

If you're committed to him being an extra, fine, ride out the year so we're clear of that contract completely. You can't sell me on competing if he's going to be in the lineup every night.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If Hank is in fact retiring, I don't believe that, why would they have to buy Staal out? He's got one year left on his deal and it's not like he's blocking anyone. And if Miller is ready, Staal can watch from the skybox.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
He's kind of gotten the shaft this season.

I dunno how I feel about him. I like the idea of him and having another guy who is going to piss people off but how good is he really?

That's the $60,000 question. Is he worth taking a chance on if MTL's price is reasonable? I like his sandpaper but is it 50 point sandpaper or 70 point sandpaper?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It could just be a numbers thing for the Rangers if they buyout Staal. If they bring in a LD, keep Smith, have Lindgren in the fold, then they might just want to have the freedom to shuffle guys like Miller, Robertson, and Hajek in and out of the lineup without having to factor in Staal. It might not be about money at all. If he wants to keep playing and the Rangers can't find a taker, then the Girardi route is really the only option.

Plus, if they trade DeAngelo, they're going to need another RHD option. That's a lot of bodies to shuffle around.

Reactions: Doriva

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
It could just be a numbers thing for the Rangers if they buyout Staal. If they bring in a LD, keep Smith, have Lindgren in the fold, then they might just want to have the freedom to shuffle guys like Miller, Robertson, and Hajek in and out of the lineup without having to factor in Staal. It might not be about money at all. If he wants to keep playing and the Rangers can't find a taker, then the Girardi route is really the only option.

Plus if they trade DeAngelo, they're going to need another RHD option. That's a lot of bodies to shuffle around.
A lot of bodies to walk the plank, I think you meant.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Brodin is the only one of these I have heard. Minnesota will shake things up. But that really does not exclude the others you mentioned.
Would there be anyway to get a bigger deal of Brodin & Greenway from the Wild? No idea what it would include but would help our LD & C situation and Greenway played for Quinn. Maybe something around Strome, next years first and something else was dealt to the wild?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
1. Buch for Max Domi

2. Offer sheet Sergachev, 6 years 7.5m (compensation, 1-2-3 in 2021)

3. Hank retires.

4. Resign
-TDA 6.5m 7 years
-Geo 3 years 3.85m
-Lemieux 3 years 2.25m per
-Domi 5m per for 5 years
-Fast 3 years 2m per

5. Trade Chytil for Puljujärvi

6. Buy-out Marc Staal

Kreider-Ziba-Kravy
Panarin-Strome-Puljujärvi
Laf-Domi-Kakko
Lemieux-Howden-Fast
Sergachev-Trouba
K’Andre-TDA
Lindgren-Fox
Smith
Shesty
Geo

Why?
-I have nothing against Chytil. But I am not sold on that he is a good support center for talented wingers. Don’t think he is a great fit with the wingers we have for line 2 and 3.
-Strome can center our 2nd. Call it own rental, whatever. Gorts can deal him at the deadline, resign him under more favorable terms. Or just let him walk. Can’t have too many changes in one year.
-I think Domi really can be a good fit for wingers like Kakko and Lafreniere.
-Would love to add a top LD. Not 200% sold on Sergachev as that guy. But he is good. Potentially great? Maybe, maybe not.
-Chytil can be used at wing or traded for a 1st. I threw in Chytil for Pulju. I think we are maybe a bit scorer heavy as it is. Not sure if that makes a ton of sense. But...

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
4. Resign
-Geo 3 years 3.85m

5. Trade Chytil for Puljujärvi
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events