Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
He was 20 goal 50 point per season player (trending upward) when he was traded... That is pretty great numbers for someone playing on the 3rd line...
Miller was actually one of the better 1st round picks ever for this organization and that's saying something. I don't know why people try to put him down but regardless of what he was here, he was a homegrown guy and produced. Hopefully we hit on a few more like him.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I know people hate on Brett Howden but I think he will develop into a solid player for us. Not a world beater but a person who plays his role very well. Jordan Staal-ish.

He just needs to work on his first few steps and actually become a man. Both will come in time

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I know people hate on Brett Howden but I think he will develop into a solid player for us. Not a world beater but a person who plays his role very well. Jordan Staal-ish.

He just needs to work on his first few steps and actually become a man. Both will come in time
My concern with Howden is the same concern that I had with Matt Gilroy. He’ll likely never become a Man, if that makes any sense. He’ll always remain a boy. One that never takes that big step forward, despite having the pedigree for it.

I defended Howden recently too. He’s so freaking young and raw. He’s a 22 year old kid. What will he look like at 25? 26? And so on?

And that there is a whole other question in itself... Are we better off developing him into something he might one day become? Or, are we better off packaging him for something else...? He probably has more value than a lot of us assume.

Mehhh.. It’ll be more interesting to see what Gorts/JD think, and decide on in the near future.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Rangers draft 1OA
Hank retires
Staal retires
Geo Traded
Vet backup signed for 1 year and 1.5 m
Howden Traded
Fast signs for cheap after better deals don't materialize
We do some other janky shit.

I'd be very happy with that offseason.

Ain't happening. Howden will be one of the 7 forwards protected in the expansion draft.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Howden, Namestnikov, and Hajek though....maybe it’s less painful if Lundkvist truly pans out but it looks like table scraps

And Henriksson. We got that 2nd round pick in the trade as well.

Look at the Yandle trade. It returned a 1st, 2nd, Moore and Duclair who was not really a bluechip prospect. Probably on par with Hajek in terms of upside.

I know some fans wanted Cirelli, Raddysh or Sergachev, but that was never happening. Top prospects are rarely included in trade packages.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Look at the Yandle trade. It returned a 1st, 2nd, Moore and Duclair who was not really a bluechip prospect. Probably on par with Hajek in terms of upside.

I know some fans wanted Cirelli, Raddysh or Sergachev, but that was never happening. Top prospects are rarely included in trade packages.
At the time Duclair was a top 2 prospect in our organization though

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Rangers draft 1OA
Hank retires
Staal retires
Geo Traded
Vet backup signed for 1 year and 1.5 m
Howden Traded
Fast signs for cheap after better deals don't materialize
We do some other janky shit.

I'd be very happy with that offseason.

I would think in the event we trade Georgie, we sign two vet back-ups for two years, as to have a goalie to protect and one to expose for the expansion draft in a year. Other than that, solid offseason (although torn on Fast, as I love him but we always shoehorn him into top-6 roles and I think he should be no higher than the 4th line.)

Reactions: Leetch3

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

At the time Duclair was most definitely a bluechip prospect.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At the time Duclair was most definitely a bluechip prospect.

Depends on how you define a bluechip prospect. Is that based on where they rank in the league or on the team? If it's by how they are ranked on the team, Duclair was definitely a blue chip prospect. Top-3.

I don't think he was from a league-wide POV.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Depends on how you define a bluechip prospect. Is that based on where they rank in the league or on the team? If it's by how they are ranked on the team, Duclair was definitely a blue chip prospect. Top-3.

I don't think he was from a league-wide POV.

Duclair was a top 20 guy around the league when he was moved. Had a relatively productive cup of coffee with the Rangers and a strong WJC before being moved.

Definitely a blue chip guy.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
In the event that Hank retires and the Rangers decide to trade Georgiev for additional picks I took a look at all of the FA goalies that will be available this off-season.

Not a great list but there but some goalies that I could see the Rangers signing to a 2 year deal for a back up and the expansion draft.

Here is the list I don't believe I missed anyone that I believe would be in our price range ( lets say for around 2 million ) .

Dallas Khudobin making 2.5 this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 2 million range for security ? Getting a little old at 34 but he would be a descent back up.

Flyers Elliot making 2 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1.5-1.75 million range for security ? Getting a little old at 35 might be a descent back up.

L.V Lehner making 1.4 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1.25-1.5 million range for security ? Only 29 the youngest out of everyone available.

Oilers Smith making 2 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1.5-1.75 million range for security ? Getting old at 38 might be a descent back up. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

Our old friend Talbot making 2.7 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 2 million range for security ? Getting up there at 33 but he would be a descent back up.

Red Wings Howard making 4 million this year ( no way he is going to get that much to continue playing so--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1-75-2 million range for security ? Getting old at 36 might be a descent back up. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

Ottawa Anderson making 4.7 million this year ( no way he is going to get that much to continue playing so--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1-75-2 million range for security ? Getting old at 39 might be a descent back up. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

To old to consider but Miller from the Ducks making 1,2 million this year would he take a 2 year contract in the 1 million range for security ? oldtimer at 40. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

Last Isle Greiss--might be one of the best back ups but I believe he will be out of our price range as he is making 3.3 million this year. Only 33 like Talbot but I'm guessing he won't sign for 2-3 years at 2 million.

Lehner is the youngest and least paid. Talbot and Greiss are only 33 years old got to believe they will sign 2 year contracts if they receive them--not saying only from us.

The rest some guys getting up there in age and some ready for retirement.

Last we roll with one of our guys from the minors--Wall or Huska.

I think if Hank retires it might be best to just re-sign Georgiev instead of the additional picks ( unless we receive an offer we can't refuse )--I know it's a good draft and the extra picks would help but we don't have to protect Shesty so other then finding a goalie for the expansion draft we would be set for years to come at the goalie position.

Reactions: Ranger Spice

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In the event that Hank retires and the Rangers decide to trade Georgiev for additional picks I took a look at all of the FA goalies that will be available this off-season.

Not a great list but there but some goalies that I could see the Rangers signing to a 2 year deal for a back up and the expansion draft.

Here is the list I don't believe I missed anyone that I believe would be in our price range ( lets say for around 2 million ) .

Dallas Khudobin making 2.5 this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 2 million range for security ? Getting a little old at 34 but he would be a descent back up.

Flyers Elliot making 2 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1.5-1.75 million range for security ? Getting a little old at 35 might be a descent back up.

L.V Lehner making 1.4 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1.25-1.5 million range for security ? Only 29 the youngest out of everyone available.

Oilers Smith making 2 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1.5-1.75 million range for security ? Getting old at 38 might be a descent back up. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

Our old friend Talbot making 2.7 million this year--would he take a 2 year contract in the 2 million range for security ? Getting up there at 33 but he would be a descent back up.

Red Wings Howard making 4 million this year ( no way he is going to get that much to continue playing so--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1-75-2 million range for security ? Getting old at 36 might be a descent back up. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

Ottawa Anderson making 4.7 million this year ( no way he is going to get that much to continue playing so--would he take a 2 year contract in the 1-75-2 million range for security ? Getting old at 39 might be a descent back up. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

To old to consider but Miller from the Ducks making 1,2 million this year would he take a 2 year contract in the 1 million range for security ? oldtimer at 40. May not want to play for 2 more seasons.

Last Isle Greiss--might be one of the best back ups but I believe he will be out of our price range as he is making 3.3 million this year. Only 33 like Talbot but I'm guessing he won't sign for 2-3 years at 2 million.

Lehner is the youngest and least paid. Talbot and Greiss are only 33 years old got to believe they will sign 2 year contracts if they receive them--not saying only from us.

The rest some guys getting up there in age and some ready for retirement.

Last we roll with one of our guys from the minors--Wall or Huska.

I think if Hank retires it might be best to just re-sign Georgiev instead of the additional picks ( unless we receive an offer we can't refuse )--I know it's a good draft and the extra picks would help but we don't have to protect Shesty so other then finding a goalie for the expansion draft we would be set for years to come at the goalie position.

Khudobin was really good this year. He probably stays in Dallas.

Lehner made 5 mil this year, not 1.4 mil. He got traded to Vegas via Toronto. Chicago retained 2.5 mil and Toronto retained 1.1 mil. There's no chance he'll sign on to be a cheap backup. He's going to be looking to get paid.

I think we'll have to wait and see how the market shakes out. There will be quite a few teams looking for goalies and we may end up having to pick from the leftovers.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If you believe the rumors started by some 12 year old on this website.

miller was well known around the White Plains bar scene. That’s a fact. Whether that carried over to his play Idk. But it’s not a rumor he loved the bars. I witnessed first hand many times. As I did love the bar scene myself in those days. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad