Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I mean perhaps but it also highlights what at times feels like a real lack of foresight with signing players earlier in the RFA period. Miller gets 5.3 through age 29. Is that really so “unaffordable” in the context of the 6.5 we just gave Kreider through age 36?

He signed that in Tampa though right??

Whats the equivalent with the NY taxes taken into consideration?

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
He signed that in Tampa though right??

Whats the equivalent with the NY taxes taken into consideration?

Yea that’s fair enough, definitely a Tampa tax benefit in there. Obviously pretty impossible to say definitively...figure roughly NY State/NYC of 12% on the 50% of the income he earns at home games would be 6% total extra tax burden w Rangers. So would take 5.25 to 5.6.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Rangers draft 1OA
Hank retires
Staal retires
Geo Traded
Vet backup signed for 1 year and 1.5 m
Howden Traded
Fast signs for cheap after better deals don't materialize
We do some other janky shit.

I'd be very happy with that offseason.
I hope that other janky doo doo includes getting another LD who can play

Reactions: McSauer

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Rangers draft 1OA
Hank retires
Staal retires
Geo Traded
Vet backup signed for 1 year and 1.5 m
Howden Traded
Fast signs for cheap after better deals don't materialize
We do some other janky shit.

I'd be very happy with that offseason.
Hank and Staal opening up 15.2M in cap space would be insane. If that somehow happened we would almost have to go all in the next 2 seasons before Zibanejad/Kakko/Fox need to be re-signed.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not crazy at all but how much will he command? I’m sure he’s not taking 2/3 million per
Hard to say but they need a player like that to partner Trouba badly. Depends on outgoings though I guess.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
I mean perhaps but it also highlights what at times feels like a real lack of foresight with signing players earlier in the RFA period. Miller gets 5.3 through age 29. Is that really so “unaffordable” in the context of the 6.5 we just gave Kreider through age 36?

i don't think comparing miller getting 5.5m in 2018 and kreider gettin his contract now is fair.

2018 pre-deadline cap situation: New York Rangers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Gorton was looking at $23.5M to re-sign/replace Miller (~$5.5M), Hayes (~$5M), Skjei (~5M+), Grabner (~$3M), a 5th/6th defenseman in Holden (~$1/2M), a Bottom 6 forward in Vesey ($1/2M) expiring immediately, while needing to replace a top 6 forward in Nash. Add on to that Zucc (~$5M+), McDonagh (~$7M), and Buchnevich (~$4M) the following year. You're telling me with that roster, and that cap situation, you want to use $5-6M to lock up a guy who at the time looks more like a 3rd line center behind Zibanejad/Hayes?

While the trade continues to look awful from the Rangers standpoint, I think some of your criticism is revisionist history.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I’d actually prefer to max Georgiev‘a value (and have him get a shot to start somewhere) and keep Henrik as backup for another year or two. I appreciate the cap is tight but I think they’ll be fine.

I have no problem trading Geo for as max value as we can get and bringing up one of our AHL goalies to take the backup.

Lundqvist we couldnt be more far apart. The man is done. I love him but we can spend 8.5m on a backup goalie and thats what he is now. I hope he retires so we can use that cap space to sign our own guys and bring in an actual 3rd 4th line.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Weren’t there whispers at the time that Miller didn’t take things very seriously and would be out partying at bars on the regular? I remember people saying the team thought of him as a bad influence and didn’t want him around a rebuild with young players.

Reactions: Chytilmania

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Ottawa would need to look at the value between what they believe the #5 gets them vs. #11. If the delta isn't that big it's possible. But as mentioned above, they could just draft a stud goalie there who is likely to be better than Georgiev, even if it takes a few years. I mean they aren't competing now anyway. I think the odds are better we get two seconds, or a 2nd and a 3rd.

Yeah but if they draft Askarov then they are missing out on another skater who is much needed for them.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Miller wasn't a 3rd line center, he was a 3rd line pass first left wing on pace to make $5M. You trade that player 100 times out of 100.
Not for Namestnikov. I agree that I wanted him to be traded and I don’t think he’d become the player he is now in NY. But using him as a toss in for a terrible trade was a really bad move

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
If that’s your argument, then that just means we got even less for McDonagh in an already terrible trade. Still a horrible move.
I'm just saying, the story of how the trade was put together has been out for years and people still act like Miller for Namestnikov was tacked on because they didn't feel like making two phone calls or something. Feel however you want about that trade, I won't try to change your mind on that

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hank and Staal opening up 15.2M in cap space would be insane. If that somehow happened we would almost have to go all in the next 2 seasons before Zibanejad/Kakko/Fox need to be re-signed.

That's where you sign Taylor Hall and move him back to center. :sarcasm:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Weren’t there whispers at the time that Miller didn’t take things very seriously and would be out partying at bars on the regular? I remember people saying the team thought of him as a bad influence and didn’t want him around a rebuild with young players.
You're thinking of Stevie "Guitar" Miller. The Space Cowboy. The Gangster of Love.

Reactions: ETTER DE

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I’ve heard this nickname for him before, I just must have missed something.

Was Miller like universally not liked by his teammates here?

If you believe the rumors started by some 12 year old on this website.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad