Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If the team is getting spanked by Carolina, I wouldn't mind seeing Quinn throw Tony out with Trouba to see how he does tbh

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If Montreal asked for Ryan Strome for Max Domi as a one for one, what would you say?
I have no idea if Montreal is using Domi at center but my initial reaction would be no.

I don't like Strome but my biggest gripe about him is his potential contract. Domi's basically in the same boat. If he can play center effectively, it's less of an issue, but you can't be paying Domi 5 million+ to play 3rd LW

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why would they do that

Domi had a disappointing season and they are a team looking for more offensive help. Perhaps they like Strome on a 3-4 year deal more than someone like Domi?

I await your comments on how Stome is a horrible player therefore we should expect to have to pay another team to take him off our hands.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Montreal asked for Ryan Strome for Max Domi as a one for one, what would you say?

I'd say yes. I don't think it's an ideal move from a positional standpoint, but the value difference is too big to ignore.

Domi had a down year but I certainly think an average of 65 point seasons is what he is going to be in his prime.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Domi is mostly a center. Where is the whole wing thing coming from? By far his most common position in MTL has been as a C.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No. No one could say that .52 points/GP is “second line pretty good”. Without Panarin, Strome is third-line depth. He shouldn’t get paid like anything else.
Going to be honest, .52 per game gets you to 43 points . There are not that many third liners who are skating around with 43 points. And honestly, I do not care if it is zero points. As my contention is 1) IF this is who Strome is with Panarin and 2) sorry, but not everyone can do it.

The whole notion that all one has to do is lob pucks to anywhere on Panarin' s side of the ice and he will get to them all pound them all in is pretty ridiculous.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Going to be honest, .52 per game gets you to 43 points . There are not that many third liners who are skating around with 43 points. And honestly, I do not care if it is zero points. As my contention is 1) IF this is who Strome is with Panarin and 2) sorry, but not everyone can do it.

The whole notion that all one has to do is lob pucks to anywhere on Panarin' s side of the ice and he will get to them all pound them all in is pretty ridiculous.

Last year, 61 centers had 44+ points, and 72 centers had .53 P/GP or higher (min 30 GP).

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I'd say yes. I don't think it's an ideal move from a positional standpoint, but the value difference is too big to ignore.

Domi had a down year but I certainly think an average of 65 point seasons is what he is going to be in his prime.
I like Domi but I think he is what he is at this point. Great rookie year but some down years after. Then great first year in Montreal but regressed this year. Got the 3rd most average ice time if you don't count Kovalchuk but he was pacing for 50 points. He eclipsed 65 point once, I think it is very generous to label him a 65 point annual guy.

It got rocky in Arizona and the rumor was he asked out. More rumors of him asking out of Montreal. Good first years for organizations and then drops. Is he going to make less than Strome next season?

Again, I've liked Max for a while but the grass isn't always greener. We took our chance on a reclamation project with Strome and won. He's known here, warts and all. If we trade him in and get a player with lower production and just as many question marks, it should be with a locked in lower salary.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I like Domi but I think he is what he is at this point. Great rookie year but some down years after. Then great first year in Montreal but regressed this year. Got the 3rd most average ice time if you don't count Kovalchuk but he was pacing for 50 points. He eclipsed 65 point once, I think it is very generous to label him a 65 point annual guy.

It got rocky in Arizona and the rumor was he asked out. More rumors of him asking out of Montreal. Good first years for organizations and then drops. Is he going to make less than Strome next season?

Again, I've liked Max for a while but the grass isn't always greener. We took our chance on a reclamation project with Strome and won. He's known here, warts and all. If we trade him in and get a player with lower production and just as many question marks, it should be with a locked in lower salary.

I say this as a Strome fan...

Domi brings a lot more than just his points. He is "hard to play against" which I do think has quantifiable benefits, especially in the postseason.

Strome brings pretty much only points.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
wish he was better on faceoffs but it would be worth it just for the domi/lemieux interactions lol

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I say this as a Strome fan...

Domi brings a lot more than just his points. He is "hard to play against" which I do think has quantifiable benefits, especially in the postseason.

Strome brings pretty much only points.
He doesn’t even really bring them. They are gifted to him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Last year, 61 centers had 44+ points, and 72 centers had .53 P/GP or higher (min 30 GP).
So his 43 points seem to put Strome in the lower stratosphere of 2nd line centers. And does not change the fact that there are just not that many 3rd line centers with 43 points. If 50 points makes you a top line player in today's NHL, then 7 less than that can get you to the second line.

Reactions: Leetch3

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t really want to wade too deep into the Strome arguments, but Strome feels like a Sam Gagner to me in that he’s a pretty good passer but he’s not very good at anything else

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don’t really want to wade too deep into the Strome arguments, but Strome feels like a Sam Gagner to me in that he’s a pretty good passer but he’s not very good at anything else

Hes not gagner....gagner was only of any use on the pp. People are way too salty about Strome. It's ok to say hes a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad