Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I really think there is a happy medium to running Strome out of town and offering him the moon to stay.

The cap will be flat moving forward. Strome knows what it feels like to be in a situation that doesn't fit him. He was on his way to a not-so-stellar career during his time in Edmonton. Quinn and the Rangers believed in him and gave him the opportunity to succeed playing with one of the best players on the planet.

Offer him a 3-4 year deal @ $4.5-5m per season.

He's versatile in his ability to play center or wing. He has KNOWN chemistry with the teams best player. He's a RH center which is invaluable and he's 27 years old.
That sounds reasonable. I’d say a little less on the AAV. Maybe $4m. It’s still a raise...remember he was considered a bit overpaid until this season. And the cap won’t be going up. So a 30% raise in this day and age should be considered quite generous. But yeah, you’re right. There is definitely a middle ground. My only worry is how it affects the ability to keep De Angelo and to a lesser extent, Buchnevich.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Are we comparing him to Strome without Stamkos and Kucherov?
Stamkos and Kucherov…Tavares or McDavid and co. At the end of the day, Strome is still third liner who shouldn't be getting second line money after one partial season of second-line production highly dependent on a player were already paying 1st line money for.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Stamkos and Kucherov…Tavares or McDavid and co. At the end of the day, Strome is still third liner who shouldn't be getting second line money after one partial season of second-line production highly dependent on a player were already paying 1st line money for.

At the end of the day, we have Panarin for another 6 years. If the Panarin-Strome combo works, why not use it? It's not as if Panarin is going anywhere. And there is absolutely no guarantee that someone else can be as successful playing with Panarin

Reactions: pld459666

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
At the end of the day, we have Panarin for another 6 years. If the Panarin-Strome combo works, why not use it? It's not as if Panarin is going anywhere. And there is absolutely no guarantee that someone else can be as successful playing with Panarin
The question isnt whether the combo works. The question is what amount are you willing to pay Panarin plus X player to achieve a static level of production? If you pay Panarin's ~12 million plus Strome at 5, youre paying ~17 million for production you could possibly achieve at ~14 million. Thats 3 million in annual cap dollars that could be the difference between keeping ADA and/or Buchnevich. And those players have a heck of a lot more effect than Strome on whether or not this is a competitive club.

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

You use it when you can take advantage of the opportunity cost of Strome's current contract. But when you factor in the flat cap, the raise he's going to want, the team's current cap situation, and Strome's numbers when not playing with a Hart candidate, I find it makes very little sense to re-sign him. Trade him while his value is highest, don't pray that he'll replicate this season when evidence suggests he won't. Especially when re-signing him is likely to further screw the team's already f***y cap situation. Quite possibly leading to us losing better players like Buch or Tony

If we hadn't re-signed Kreider, or the cap was still likely to rise like pre-COVID projections said it would, I'd be more inclined to keep him. But we did, and it isn't

Reactions: Avery16

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i appreciate your points, just not convinced.
Strome is currently 2C on this team, but on others, he might be the 6th-10thF, who slides up and down the lineup, depending on need and performance. He had a strong second half, once planted along side Bread, but just last night watching the Dec game vs Canes, he scored, and it was his 1st or 2d G in ~18 games.

Re asset management, turning Spooner into (a) a contributor to a MVP season, and then (b) saving the team from losing young players heading into a 500+ game NHL careers to Seattle, that's pretty good asset management.

If they trade Strome for something good before '20-21, or at '21 TDL, i am fine with that.
But if he is on roster at Exp draft time, I dont see him as priority to protect.
Maybe i am wrong, won't be first or last time

Mostly, I just think too many folks here at HFBoards make way too big a deal of the Expansion draft.
No team gets too hurt, a team can only lose one guy.
And as mentioned, predicting who gets picked is a crapshoot.
Oscar Lindberg has become a trivia answer, Fast is 5-time reigning NYR 'Player's Player.'

Look at that Vegas situation. The teams that came out worst were teams which over-thunk it, like Fla and Ana and CBJ.
Expose a bunch of guys, lose 1, keep doing what you're doing ...

these are 2 completely different arguments...I agree with you 100% on the expansion draft. you don't make a trade to get seattle to promise to not to take someone. you just sit back let them take a player and move on...at no point did I suggest making a trade to manipulate the expansion draft.

where we disagree is that I don't think it makes sense to expose Strome in order to avoid potentially losing a lesser player. you protect the 7 best forwards that are eligible and I don't care where they would rank on another team, whoever the 7 best forwards are on the rangers those are the guys you protect and there isn't even a question that strome is on that list.

I would love nothing more than for a guy like gauthier to have a break out season next year and force us to protect him but right now the guys we would have to expose haven't shown they can be more than 4th liners and you don't expose a 2nd liner to avoid losing a 4th liner. that is today, alot can change in a year.

Reactions: cwede

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What type of contract does Soderberg get as a UFA? The team could use the depth at center and if the team decides to not commit long-term to Fast (which I agree with), perhaps they could get Soderberg on a short deal to play with Panarin/Strome or center a young kid 3rd line?

Panarin-Soderberg-Strome
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Gauthier-Chytil-Kaako
Lemieux-Howden-Digi

Or

Panarin-Chytil-Strome
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Gauthier-Soderberg-Kaako
Lemieux-Howden-Digi

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I just ran the numbers on this lineup, it's doable for 20-21

Buyout Staal
Trade Strome to Buffalo for Jake McCabe + prospect/pick
Trade Georgeiv for picks (Ottawa, San Jose, Detroit, don't matter who)

Sign Johan Larrson to play 3C, 2 million x 3 years
Re-sign Fast 2.25 million x 3 years
Re-sign Di Giuesspe for 2 years
Re-sign Tony for 4.75 million x 1 year
Re-sign Lemuiex 1 million x 1 year

Krieder-Zibby-Buchnevich
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Kravstov-Larsson-Gauthier
Lemuiex-Howden-Fast
Di Giuesspe

Smith-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
McCabe-DeAngelo
Hajek

Igor
Hank

Leave about a million in space

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd rather give the group another year to see if someone takes a step forward before adding depth FAs. Unless they're cheap contracts like McKegg or PDG.

I'd kick the tires on a few buy-low guys via trade. Jankowski is a guy who I think could be a nice pickup and probably isn't looking at very much on his new deal. He could replace Fast's ability to PK and he's skilled enough that he can play up in the lineup in a pinch like Fast.

Flames are probably in the market for a young goalie so there could be a deal to be had there with the right pieces added.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If he's playing behind Trouba and Fox, then he is 3rd pair on our team, unless he can play on the left side.

Frankly the pairing matters less than his ice time.

If he's on the 'third pairing' but is playing the 3rd most minutes of any defenseman on our team because of PP time, he's basically a 2nd pairing defenseman.

I get that on ice matchups matter, but is anyone going to complain if Tony isn't out there defensing the other team's top players?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would have no problem with this, and if it's between this or a long-term deal it's a fairly simple decision.

Yeah I'm fully on the one year Strome deal for both parties. Just makes way too much sense. Wouldn't get much of an RFA discount on an extension for just one year of eligibility. Next season gives us more data about Strome's performance with Panarin, as well as Chytil's offensive development. Kick the can down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad