Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
When does Trouba's NMC kick in? Is it the start of free agency? I dont know how you don't explore moving him before then. Just salvage what you can. Maybe try to entice Detroit since they dont have any big dollar players yet and he's from there. Since Larkin is one of the most ideal trade candidates out there from our perspective (no idea if he would be available), try to sniff around on packaging Trouba with some of our assets like Chytil, Buch, Lias, Carolina pick, etc. Kill two birds with one stone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That would be absolutely ideal, but do you mean to tell me you wouldn’t consider a return of Glass plus other asset(s)?
Vegas isn’t trading Glass.

Glass replaces Stastny to help Vegas’ Cap. Also the Rangers don’t need more futures. Vegas is one of the best teams in the league. Their only “weakness” is they are Cap’ed out. We can help each other out for sure. I’m not surprised people hate my Vegas trade idea, after all. This is hockey’s future not hockey’s present.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They're going to have a realllly tough time getting rid of Stastny at 6.5.
Great fit for the Rangers though. High reward. Low risk. Fills several needs. Can probably sign on a discount if it works. If it doesn’t, no harm no foul. I’d try and get Martínez too.

It’s negligent to not get Trouba a better partner after the investment they made in him. Even if he just keeps the seat warm for Miller a year it’s worth it. Vegas and the Rangers are a great match too. They aren’t going to be able to afford to re-sign Lehrer with their cap as is so it’s potentially a Georgiev spot too.

There are really not a lot of center options out there though that the Rangers either wouldn't have to protect, or wouldn’t hurt their cap past 2021 and interfere with extending Zibanejad. If they can’t get Stastny I’d also try to get Bonino out of Nashville. That’s another good fit. A guy like Danault would be perfect but hard to see him getting out of Montreal.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Great fit for the Rangers though. High reward. Low risk. Fills several needs. Can probably sign on a discount if it works. If it doesn’t, no harm no foul. I’d try and get Martínez too. It’s negligent to not get Trouba a better partner after the investment they made in him. Even if he just keeps the seat warm for Miller a year it’s worth it.

Stastny alone eats about half of the available space the Rangers have.

If Hank retires I can see them visiting this as an option as they'll probably be able to get him for really cheap if they take on the full 6.5. Most of the "contenders" are more or less capped out or don't really have the need. He also has a 10 team no trade so you can bet that any of the bottom dwellers with space will be on that list. I can't imagine his market would be really substantial.

Martinez isn't that good. I think LD is the #1 area they should upgrade but not with him. You can find a better player at a lower price if you look hard enough.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Stastny alone eats about half of the available space the Rangers have.

If Hank retires I can see them visiting this as an option as they'll probably be able to get him for really cheap if they take on the full 6.5. Most of the "contenders" are more or less capped out or don't really have the need. He also has a 10 team no trade so you can bet that any of the bottom dwellers with space will be on that list. I can't imagine his market would be really substantial.

Martinez isn't that good. I think LD is the #1 area they should upgrade but not with him. You can find a better player at a lower price if you look hard enough.
I’m assume Hank retires.

Martínez is still good and can buy you the year you need to give to give Miller. Let Miller ease in on the third pair. Add a veteran cup winner, who we know is good in the playoffs, that you don’t need to commit long term to.

Vegas needs a cheap goalie because they are capped out. Lehrer saves they season and they can’t afford to bring him back as it stands. Going to need to replace and they could do a lot worse than Georgiev.

These guys eat the Rangers cap, but the Rangers don’t need cap flexibility until Summer 2021, and that’s when all the dead weight comes off. Rangers would have over 20m in space to extend Mika and that’s also when you can make a big play for a center, when you have a better idea on what younger assets may be expendable; maybe you don’t need a Chytil and/or a Kravtsov for example. Maybe you can move Robertson or Jones.
Vegas trade buys you a year, puts some credible locker room voices in there to replace leaving leadership and doesn’t force the youth to learn on the job alone. I don’t think think this is the summer for the Rangers to shoot the moon. But it doesn’t mean they can’t make some marginal gains either.

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Am I the only one that is upset they extended krieder ? I keep thinking about what the package we could have gotten for him. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Now winning the lottery and potentially drafting another LW , it seems like keeping krieder was not the right choice

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m assume Hank retires.

Martínez is still good and can buy you the year you need to give to give Miller. Let Miller ease in on the third pair. Add a veteran cup winner, who we know is good in the playoffs, that you don’t need to commit long term to.

Vegas needs a cheap goalie because they are capped out. Lehrer saves they season and they can’t afford to bring him back as it stands. Going to need to replace and they could do a lot worse than Georgiev.

These guys eat the Rangers cap, but the Rangers don’t need cap flexibility until Summer 2021, and that’s when all the dead weight comes off.

They do need it, they have their own guys that they need to sign this summer.

They don't need Martinez. Again, they can get a better player who takes up less cap space this summer if they look hard enough. Pretty much anyone would be an upgrade on Staal, thats a role that could be filled at league minimum.

If you're looking for a solution to Trouba's partner, I would much rather play Smith next to him as we A. Already have his salary on the books, and B. They played well together.

Reactions: McSauer

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Am I the only one that is upset they extended krieder ? I keep thinking about what the package we could have gotten for him. I know hindsight is 20/20 but Now winning the lottery and potentially drafting another LW , it seems like keeping krieder was not the right choice

No I was annoyed that they extended him as well.

But I wouldn't get too hung up on having all these LW's. Someone will move over to the other side.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Martinez is not good and a waste of cap space. Just keep Smith and if Hank retires take on Stastny for nothing and trade Strome for whatever. Actually the defenseman we should be going after from Vegas is Holden. Extremely cheap, expansion eligible and is a huge upgrade on Staal.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They do need it, they have their own guys that they need to sign this summer.

They don't need Martinez. Again, they can get a better player who takes up less cap space this summer if they look hard enough. Pretty much anyone would be an upgrade on Staal, thats a role that could be filled at league minimum.

If you're looking for a solution to Trouba's partner, I would much rather play Smith next to him as we A. Already have his salary on the books, and B. They played well together.
Name them.

Smith is best in that utility role. The Rangers need to make sure Trouba does not regress this season, and his confidence stays high. He gets Miller in a year. Just needs a body there. Trouba can go full Rosizval if the Rangers are not careful.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
You dumbass peons.. Do you guys Not pay attention..?

Bern already stated we’re signing ADA to a 4X8 extension— and then trading him at that stellar contract because everyone knows players who signs 8 year extensions do so w/o a NTC of some sort.

Y’all mofos gotta step your game up.
To be fair, as long as it wasn’t one of the things that changed in the CBA that they signed, RFA years can’t have any clauses during them

Reactions: Thirty One

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I have assumed that Kreider was extended because the market for him wasn't as rewarding as Gorton or we anticipated.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Not that they'd do it but if WSH looked to shake it up this offseason and dangled everybody except Ovi, Carlson, Kuz, and Samsonov, would you want Gorton to inquire on a guy like Wilson? Having Kreider already probably kills the idea, I'd think. Still, the guy is what I wish Kreider would be more of. Guy is massive and has elite straight-line speed. Run a guy over on every shift.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Here is a bit of something for you guys

Toronto is going to be making some changes. The current staff said that they could win with the team assembled and that has not been the case. They are going to change their assistant coach, and possibly some other positional coaches as well. Some shuffling will be done with their middle 6 as well. The top studs over there won't be moved unless an offer that improves the overall team is made to them, they are not being shopped.

We know that they had interest in Georgiev and I believe that when the staff changes go through that they will revisit that. Another name that could end up included in a deal with Georgiev going there is... Brett Howden.

I'll let you guys know if I get wind of anything else interesting regarding the Rangers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think not drafting from the Q is more noticed by the fans and is a coincidence from the team standpoint. I don’t think they care if its the BPA on their list...

I would chuckle though after all the jokes if we get a bunch of players from the Q

Oh, I know they aren't actively staying away from the Q but I do have a feeling they feel more comfortable with scouts from other regions

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not that they'd do it but if WSH looked to shake it up this offseason and dangled everybody except Ovi, Carlson, Kuz, and Samsonov, would you want Gorton to inquire on a guy like Wilson? Having Kreider already probably kills the idea, I'd think. Still, the guy is what I wish Kreider would be more of. Guy is massive and has elite straight-line speed. Run a guy over on every shift.

I think Washington trades Kuznetsov before they trade Wilson.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

It creates the perfect situation to bring lafreniere in. He can start as the 3rd line winger, hopefully develop chemistry with chytl, while getting advantageous matchups as he breaks in. He also gets to learn from Kreider's experience as an NHL power forward. A few years into Kreider's new deal his NMC protection downgrades, so if you need to move him then its possible. But for the next few years the Rangers are going to be a tough load to handle for any group of RDs in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad