Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLII Time for Curtis Lazar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Give me Gettinger over Haley.
If Gettinger has a future with the team, and I hope he does? Absolutely let him get that experience. But I’m totally cool with Haley. He is a fine role player and a good example. And it’s not like the Rangers are overflowing with vets. I might even bring him back next year as strictly a 13th man if there are no other veterans added and if, say, Fast leaves.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah I def respect people whose only contribution on the ice is to increase CTE chances in their opponents and themselves beyond the opportunities that already exist.

All kidding aside, Haley is meh. Not really impactful on the ice either positively or negatively (which is better than other players NYR have brought on in the past in this role, like Glass). Only thing that sticks out about him is his ability to take penalties.

Pass, even for the AHL.
You consider him a dirty player? If he is, and I’m only familiar with his Ranger action, then I would agree he can go.
But my impression was that he’s a guy who plays clean, especially considering how hard he plays.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gettinger IMO could make it. He's got to set his sights right. He's never going to be a top 6 and maybe not even a top 9. His size and reach could be valuable though--play hard along the boards, be defensively responsible and kill penalties--once in a while knock in a goal--maybe even have a fight two or three times a year. He's not a bad skater and he has decent hands and a huge wingspan. There's a lot to work with there. Brian Boyle carved out a career pretty much doing all of that.
If he’s mobile enough he’s an octopus and really a pain for opposing power plays. Could occupy half the zone.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If he’s mobile enough he’s an octopus and really a pain for opposing power plays. Could occupy half the zone.

I think he's been doing a fair amount of penalty killing in Hartford. I think the Rangers are trying to groom him into a 4th liner. If he stayed healthy though he would be putting up better numbers.

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
You consider him a dirty player? If he is, and I’m only familiar with his Ranger action, then I would agree he can go.
But my impression was that he’s a guy who plays clean, especially considering how hard he plays.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Gettinger has a future with the team, and I hope he does? Absolutely let him get that experience. But I’m totally cool with Haley. He is a fine role player and a good example. And it’s not like the Rangers are overflowing with vets. I might even bring him back next year as strictly a 13th man if there are no other veterans added and if, say, Fast leaves.

I think Getts is a guy they keep around, but move before hitting waivers. He's got too lean down imo, and give himself the Brian Boyle treatment. Be a skater, and a checker who is really smart about using his size effectively.

I don't think the 2011 Brian Boyle was received too well here, but the guy from 2012 to 2015 was an outstanding 4th liner. It's a short peak, but with some effective years around a career.

If Brenden Lemeuix can't turn into a 3rd PK forward option, then maybe Getts has a path. But from what I saw at the NHL game, he was not close to being ready.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
People are comparing the Nash return to Eichel. Keep in mind that Nash was 28 in his first season with us. Eichel is 23 years old. Eichel is years away from his prime AND is locked up. Chytil, Lundkvist, and a first that isn't top-5 isn't getting it done. I also, unless something changes with the cap, can't see many moves happening this offseason, especially something like this in terms of salary. It would have to wait another year. With Henrik, Staal, and Smith all coming off the books, there won't be any issues fitting his salary in.

If DeAngelo goes, I keep Lundkvist, and vice versa. I'd think they'd want a C to replace Eichel. Have to think the NYR bridge Strome and keep him around for a little, 3 years or so. If Strome has another big year with Panarin, maybe he fits in a deal, and Buffalo buys the production is real.

Strome+Kravtsov+Lundkvist+Henriksson+1st RD Pick

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. Knows his role and does it well. No need to bury a rookie in such a role and minutes.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
People are comparing the Nash return to Eichel. Keep in mind that Nash was 28 in his first season with us. Eichel is 23 years old. Eichel is years away from his prime AND is locked up. Chytil, Lundkvist, and a first that isn't top-5 isn't getting it done. I also, unless something changes with the cap, can't see many moves happening this offseason, especially something like this in terms of salary. It would have to wait another year. With Henrik, Staal, and Smith all coming off the books, there won't be any issues fitting his salary in.

If DeAngelo goes, I keep Lundkvist, and vice versa. I'd think they'd want a C to replace Eichel. Have to think the NYR bridge Strome and keep him around for a little, 3 years or so. If Strome has another big year with Panarin, maybe he fits in a deal, and Buffalo buys the production is real.

Strome+Kravtsov+Lundkvist+Henriksson+1st RD Pick

lol if that trade gets it done, to be fair we should also offer Jason Botterill a scouting position so he has a job after he gets fired as gm

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Breaking
Keep adding til it hurts ...
Breaking: Rangers acquire C Jack Eichel from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for C, Filip Chytil, RW, Vitali Kravtsov, D, Nils Lundkvist, both 2020 1st round picks (CAR and NYR). If BUF said no, so be it. I'd even add a lottery ticket prospect like Jones or Henriksson.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Sorry but that's not really a sucker punch. If we're looking at the entirety of the play Jarnkrok starts it off by kind of cracking Haley's head against the glass. The next several seconds is Haley trying to get to Jarnkrok who has some chance in that kind of time to figure out an escape exit or even to turtle.....and to be honest about this because I've been there.....if you think someone has seriously tried to injure you you do get f***ing mad or at least I do.

These Nashville people--Forsberg's hit on Vesey--great hockey hit! or what was wrong with Ellis's head shot on Buchnevich?--are a bunch of homers.

Anyway that one game suspension is all there is in Haley's NHL suspension history. No dirty hits--no outright injuring of opponents. So no he's not a dirty player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Pie in the sky ideas

To Buffalo
Anthony DeAngelo
Filip Chytil
Lias Andersson
Libor Hajek
CAR/NYR 1st '20 (whichever is lower)

To NYR
Jack Eichel

To MON
Ryan Strome

To NYR:
STL 2nd '20
WSH 3rd '20
WPG 4th '20

To OTT:
Marc Staal @ $4m cap hit (this comes out to be ~$2.94m in actual money for Ottawa)
WSH 3rd '20

To NYR:
Matthew Peca @ $1.3m cap hit ($1.3m in actual salary)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Sorry but that's not really a sucker punch. If we're looking at the entirety of the play Jarnkrok starts it off by kind of cracking Haley's head against the glass. The next several seconds is Haley trying to get to Jarnkrok who has some chance in that kind of time to figure out an escape exit or even to turtle.....and to be honest about this because I've been there.....if you think someone has seriously tried to injure you you do get f***ing mad or at least I do.

These Nashville people--Forsberg's hit on Vesey--great hockey hit! or what was wrong with Ellis's head shot on Buchnevich?--are a bunch of homers.

Anyway that one game suspension is all there is in Haley's NHL suspension history. No dirty hits--no outright injuring of opponents. So no he's not a dirty player.

That is absolutely a sucker punch mate. Dirty as hell too, regardless of previous circumstances. I also remember him playing a role in the Islanders-Penguins war a few years back. Regardless, the reason I don't want him on the team isn't that he's dirty. It's that he's not good at hockey, and if he's on the roster, Quinn's gonna have him in the lineup for the sake of "gritz" and "tuffness". And if he's signed to a contract, you can bet your ass he'll not be in HFD.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Pie in the sky ideas

To Buffalo
Anthony DeAngelo
Filip Chytil
Lias Andersson
Libor Hajek

To NYR
Jack Eichel

To MON
Ryan Strome

To NYR:
STL 2nd '20
WSH 3rd '20
WPG 4th '20

To OTT:
Marc Staal @ $4m cap hit (this comes out to be ~$2.94m in actual money for Ottawa)
WSH 3rd '20

To NYR:

Would cost more to get Eichel in my opinion

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That is absolutely a sucker punch mate. Dirty as hell too, regardless of previous circumstances. I also remember him playing a role in the Islanders-Penguins war a few years back. Regardless, the reason I don't want him on the team isn't that he's dirty. It's that he's not good at hockey, and if he's on the roster, Quinn's gonna have him in the lineup for the sake of "gritz" and "tuffness". And if he's signed to a contract, you can bet your ass he'll not be in HFD.

That's not a sucker punch IMO. Jarnkrok knew something was coming and he was kind of trying to run away from it and Jarnkrok wasn't all that innocent there---that's a drive by kind of hit and he did it to the wrong guy and Jarnkrok had time to defend himself in some way. You don't know the effect of the hit on Haley either. Dazed momentarily?--instant headache from getting his head rammed into the glass? Fat lip or broken tooth off the dasher? He got up madder than a hornet. You hit a hornet's nest with a stick expect to be stung and it's not the hornet's fault.

Reactions: egelband and zephyr

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pie in the sky ideas

To Buffalo
Anthony DeAngelo
Filip Chytil
Lias Andersson
Libor Hajek

To NYR
Jack Eichel

To MON
Ryan Strome

To NYR:
STL 2nd '20
WSH 3rd '20
WPG 4th '20

To OTT:
WSH 3rd '20

To NYR:
Don't see the first happening as they just cannot afford the cap hit under that scenario. Don't see the second happening for reasons I have stated already as I do not think that Gorton is trading production for nothing but futures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad