Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Good, not great goalies don't have much trade value.

I agree that trading Georgiev is the way to go, but the expectations for the return are too high. I'm not sure Georgiev has done enough to convince the league that he's worth investing in as a potential starter- he's somewhere in between right now.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You're a better team if you use a buyout on Staal, replace him with basically anyone, then trade Georgiev and roll with Lundqvist than if you were to buy out Lundqvist to keep Georgiev.

Lundqvist
No Staal
Cheap replacement for Staal
Whatever you get for Georgiev (the above?)

>>>

Staal
Georgiev
No Lundqvist

JMO, anyway. And this has nothing to do with me not wanting to get rid of Hank--if I actually thought that was the best thing for the team, I'd support it.

It's this. Add in the fact that recouping assets for Georigiev makes sense and moving on from Staal is the way to go

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
I never said he was...

Logic would suggest Georgiev would be the backup if it's not Hank.

Considering both of their stats, the difference is negligible IMO.

Considering that, move Georgiev for assets if you can and assign Hank the backup/mentor role.

Having a Ranger legend that you idolized in net to help you with your game isn't a bad deal. And it's definitely Hank's best shot at a Cup in the current situation.

Salary really doesn't matter to me. I couldn't care less. One year left at 8.5 million that he deserved at the time of signing. Honor the man the appropriate way. This franchise has little to be happy about in the last 80 years. Buying out the last year of Lundqvist's deal would leave a bad taste in the mouth that I would never get over.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Good, not great goalies don't have much trade value.

I agree that trading Georgiev is the way to go, but the expectations for the return are too high. I'm not sure Georgiev has done enough to convince the league that he's worth investing in as a potential starter- he's somewhere in between right now.
I still think a high 2nd is a move we should jump on if it were available.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I actually do not see him doing that. I also do not think that as currently situated, no team is trading out of the top 5.

For better or for worse, I think that Gorton stand pat with what he has unless there is someone that they really love and that player is dropping.

I think it would have to be a very specific situation for someone to trade down out of the top 5. For example if Ottawa gets the 4th and 5th picks, would they trade 5th overall for 10th overall (NYR), Georgiev, and Lias? I'm not sure either team makes that trade, but I wouldn't mind Gorton taking a shot in that situation.

Reactions: mschmidt64

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
It's this. Add in the fact that recouping assets for Georigiev makes sense and moving on from Staal is the way to go

Definitely the most ideal scenario. Trading Georgiev for a fair return and buying out Staal.

There's definitely a market for Georgiev, but it's the price Gorton has to get right.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think it would have to be a very specific situation for someone to trade down out of the top 5. For example if Ottawa gets the 4th and 5th picks, would they trade 5th overall for 10th overall (NYR), Georgiev, and Lias? I'm not sure either team makes that trade, but I wouldn't mind Gorton taking a shot in that situation.

No they wouldn't. I highly doubt Gorton would turn it down were that offered though

Reactions: McSauer

Kords

Jun 19, 2019

Early on, alot of scouts were saying Kakko/Hughes would not be top 5 in this draft which speaks to how amazing this class is touted to be. If that is true, Ottawa is poised to walk away from this draft with one of the best prospect pools. No way are they trading up imo.

Deleted member 23124

Logic would suggest Georgiev would be the backup if it's not Hank.

Considering both of their stats, the difference is negligible IMO.

Considering that, move Georgiev for assets if you can and assign Hank the backup/mentor role.

Having a Ranger legend that you idolized in net to help you with your game isn't a bad deal. And it's definitely Hank's best shot at a Cup in the current situation.

Salary really doesn't matter to me. I couldn't care less. One year left at 8.5 million that he deserved at the time of signing. Honor the man the appropriate way. This franchise has little to be happy about in the last 80 years. Buying out the last year of Lundqvist's deal would leave a bad taste in the mouth that I would never get over.
Not at all..they could just as easily trade Georgy as well and sign another backup.

I'm not knocking Henrik at all...I just don't see him as a backup.....he's always needed a lot of work to be sharp and I think we can agree he ain't getting it with Shesty here.

Deleted member 23124

Three of which were a joke anyway. I don't personally give a flying f*** about the Original Six, and those Cups were before even that.
I was sure there were 6 teams in '39-'40....did I miss something?

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Not at all..they could just as easily trade Georgy as well and sign another backup.

I'm not knocking Henrik at all...I just don't see him as a backup.....he's always needed a lot of work to be sharp and I think we can agree he ain't getting it with Shesty here.

Sorry but that doesn't make any bit of sense to me. Why would you go from three goalies to getting rid of two and signing a new backup?

Honestly, I think all three are starters, but it's quite clear that Shesterkin is THE starter here. Which leaves Georgiev and Lundqvist.

Statistically, they're not that much different. They're both starters when you consider what league average is.

Hank staying here is obviously his number one priority, and if it's a backup role here vs playing for another team, I wouldn't undermine his love for this organization.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Imagine beating Carolina, going on to the Stanley Cup and then getting LaFreniere first overall

I'd pretty much fold the Hurricanes franchise...

i don’t think that is possible unless Carolina has to decide which first round pick to allocate towards the Rangers before the lottery.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that Gorton would do that trade yesterday. The problem is that the 'Sens would not.

I think that very specific situation that you describe is what it would take for Gorton to make a move, but chances are it would only be a few spots up if someone is falling. I do not think that it is going to be a major move.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The flip side of this coin...I was going to games with media comps for four years. In January of 1994 I said this team looks awfully good, I better buy season tickets so I can get in to the playoffs.

I did that in '92...didn't work out so well. I was lucky enough to be a college intern for the other team at MSG for the entire spring semester of '94. Craziest 6 months of my life.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's definitely a market for Georgiev, but it's the price Gorton has to get right.
There's a market clearing rate for everything. But I doubt that the market for Georgiev is that high right now. Would you really want to give him away for something like a 3rd round pick?

Deleted member 23124

Sorry but that doesn't make any bit of sense to me. Why would you go from three goalies to getting rid of two and signing a new backup?

Honestly, I think all three are starters, but it's quite clear that Shesterkin is THE starter here. Which leaves Georgiev and Lundqvist.

Statistically, they're not that much different. They're both starters when you consider what league average is.

Hank staying here is obviously his number one priority, and if it's a backup role here vs playing for another team, I wouldn't undermine his love for this organization.
Maybe my original post was unclear. I was not commenting on who would be backup, who would be kept, who would go. I was merely commenting on the fact that, from what I've seen in the past, I do not think Henrik will be a good backup -- nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad