Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Question, as I may have missed it/still unclear:

The TOR 1st that Carolina has: is it top-3 protected, or top-10 protected? TIA.
It's top 10 protected. But it looks like (I could be wrong) that the only way that pick will stay with Toronto is if they win a top 3 pick.

If the league is going to order teams 8-15 by point percentage, there's no way they'd be in line for a top 10 pick otherwise

Reactions: McSauer

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Guys, the math/figuring out the draft lottery isn't that hard.
Question, as I may have missed it/still unclear:

The TOR 1st that Carolina has: is it top-3 protected, or top-10 protected? TIA.
Top 10 protected no matter what. So both teams could be out after the play-in, win a lotto pick, and the Rangers would get one.

Reactions: McSauer

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
and what happens if toronto loses but don't win the lottery? do they still pick at 23? or do they slot into 8-15 based on the 2nd lottery because they are now a non-playoff team?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
and what happens if toronto loses but don't win the lottery? do they still pick at 23? or do they slot into 8-15 based on the 2nd lottery because they are now a non-playoff team?
They would be awarded a pick somewhere between 8-15, presumably slotted by point %

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
That's not how this works.

The picks are more-or-less the same as normal draft pick identification

If they win the play-in, but lose before ECF, then it falls in the 16-27 range based on pts% (28-31 are for CF/SCF teams)

It's not two lotteries to determine 1-7 and then 8-15. The first lotto determines 1-15, with 8 of the picks being unassigned.

If the 1st lotto is won by 3 non-participating teams, then picks 4-15 is determined by pts% of non-participating teams and play-in losers, no second lotto is held.

If an unassigned pick wins a Top 3 pick, then a second lotto is held to determine which play-in losers get the picks that won a Top 3 slot (again, 12.% chance for the first unassigned pick should it be a lotto pick). If multiple unassigned picks get into Top 3, then it goes from a Pool-of-8, to a Pool-of-7, to a Pool-of-6 (assuming all lotto picks are won by unassigned teams).

EY-ZOaMWAAAVSPq

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's top 10 protected. But it looks like (I could be wrong) that the only way that pick will stay with Toronto is if they win a top 3 pick.

If the league is going to order teams 8-15 by point percentage, there's no way they'd be in line for a top 10 pick otherwise

I'm sure it will end up being by points percentage. There's really no other way to do it. Unless Toronto wins a top 3 pick, the highest they can select is 11 (Pittsburgh, Carolina, Islanders and Edmonton would all need to lose in the play-in, and then not win a top 3 pick). So yeah, no chance of that pick being top 10 unless both Carolina and Toronto lose in the play-in and then win the lottery.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
How much of Larmer’s career did you see?

Do you need to? He has zero major award other than the Calder, never came close to leading the league in anything, has one top 10 Hart finish in his career, and one season where he was top 10 in scoring. The numbers aren't there and he also didn't have a particularly long career.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Do you need to? He has zero major award other than the Calder, never came close to leading the league in anything, has one top 10 Hart finish in his career, and one season where he was top 10 in scoring. The numbers aren't there and he also didn't have a particularly long career.
Yeah...but did you see him?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
So say Carolina and Toronto both win the lottery draw and hypothetically come in at 1 and 2, the Rangers would get the 1 pick since Toronto keeps their pick due to the top 10 condition?

Nvm, looks like it was answered above. I was under the impression the highest the Rangers could pick is 2 in this dream scenario but didn't realize the Toronto top 10 condition.

Reactions: Leetch3

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Sorry, can we go through all the scenarios? As Michael Scott once said, explain it to me like I'm 5:

Hurricanes Win/Maple Leafs Win - Rangers will be in the lottery for their own pick. We get the worst pick between the Hurricanes and Maple Leafs.

Hurricanes Lose/Maple Leafs Win - We DEFINITELY get Toronto's pick, right? Lower of the two.

Hurricanes Lose/Maple Leafs Lose - If the Maple Leafs get in the top-10, we automatically get Carolina's first rounder no matter where it is, right? So hypothetically, the Maple Leafs could get the 10 spot and if Carolina wins the lottery and gets pick 1, it goes to us? Or am I missing something?

So with regard to that Maple Leafs/Hurricanes first rounder, what is the 1) highest we could pick, 2) the most likely we pick

So best case-scenario, Rangers beat Carolina (and go on to win the Stanley Cup), Blue Jackets beat Toronto, Carolina wins the lottery and gets the top overall pick, while the Maple Leafs get a top-10 pick?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sorry, can we go through all the scenarios? As Michael Scott once said, explain it to me like I'm 5:

Hurricanes Win/Maple Leafs Win - Rangers will be in the lottery for their own pick. We get the worst pick between the Hurricanes and Maple Leafs.

Hurricanes Lose/Maple Leafs Win - We DEFINITELY get Toronto's pick, right? Lower of the two.

Hurricanes Lose/Maple Leafs Lose - If the Maple Leafs get in the top-10, we automatically get Carolina's first rounder no matter where it is, right? So hypothetically, the Maple Leafs could get the 10 spot and if Carolina wins the lottery and gets pick 1, it goes to us? Or am I missing something?

So with regard to that Maple Leafs/Hurricanes first rounder, what is the 1) highest we could pick, 2) the most likely we pick

So best case-scenario, Rangers beat Carolina (and go on to win the Stanley Cup), Blue Jackets beat Toronto, Carolina wins the lottery and gets the top overall pick, while the Maple Leafs get a top-10 pick?
I believe only way Toronto can pick top 10 is if they won the lottery for top 3 pick. Otherwise the highest pick they can acquire is 11th I believe.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Here are several possible scenarios:
1.) Tor wins, Car wins, Rangers don't win lotto: Rangers will get the lower of the two picks. If either team makes it to the ECF or later, that pick will be 28-31. Otherwise, it'll depend on who else does. Highest the Rangers own pick can be is 9th... again, depends on what else happens.
2.) Tor wins, Car wins, Rangers win the lotto: Same deal for the Car/Tor pick. Rangers pick top-3.
3.) Tor wins, Car loses: The Rangers get the Toronto pick. Same playoff result implications, which now also apply to the Rangers own pick. The best the Rangers pick can be is 17th.
4.) Tor loses, Car wins, Rangers don't win lotto: The Rangers will get Carolina's pick. Same playoff result implications. Highest Rangers own pick can be is 9th.
5.) Tor loses, Car wins, Rangers win the lotto: Rangers get Carolina pick, their own pick is top-3
6.) Tor loses, Car loses, neither win lotto: Rangers get Carolina's pick, which can't be higher than 14th. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.
7.) Tor loses, Car loses, Tor wins lotto, Car does not: We get Carolina's pick, which can't be higher than 14th. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.
8.) Tor loses, Car loses, Car wins lotto, Tor does not: We get Toronto's pick, which can't be higher than 11th. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.
9.) Tor loses, Car loses, Car wins lotto, Tor wins lotto: We get Carolina's pick, no matter what it is. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.

I think I covered all the possibilities.

Last edited:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I know these guys are all professionals but I still feel like if this happens we're gonna see some absolutely bizarre hockey as a result of the empty arenas, some guys preparing more/better than others, etc. Especially in the first round before anyone can settle in. Like a 12-0 game.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is it too early to start a pre-game talk thread?

Edit: Lol, I just saw that we already have a series thread.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
1.) Tor wins, Car wins, Rangers don't win lotto: Rangers will get the lower of the two picks. If either team makes it to the ECF or later, that pick will be 28-31. Otherwise, it'll depend on who else does. Highest the Rangers own pick can be is 9th... again, depends on what else happens.
2.) Tor wins, Car wins, Rangers win the lotto: Same deal for the Car/Tor pick. Rangers pick top-3.
3.) Tor wins, Car loses: The Rangers get the Toronto pick. Same playoff result implications, which now also apply to the Rangers own pick. The best the Rangers pick can be is 17th.
4.) Tor loses, Car wins, Rangers don't win lotto: The Rangers will get Carolina's pick. Same playoff result implications. Highest Rangers own pick can be is 9th.
5.) Tor loses, Car wins, Rangers win the lotto: Rangers get Carolina pick, their own pick is top-3
6.) Tor loses, Car loses, neither win lotto: Rangers get Carolina's pick, which can't be higher than 14th. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.
7.) Tor loses, Car loses, Tor wins lotto, Car does not: We get Carolina's pick, which can't be higher than 14th. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.
8.) Tor loses, Car loses, Car wins lotto, Tor does not: We get Toronto's pick, which can't be higher than 11th. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.
9.) Tor loses, Car loses, Car wins lotto, Tor wins lotto: We get Carolina's pick, no matter what it is. Rangers own pick depends on playoff results, but can't be better than 17th.

Thank you, kind sir

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Great Post. Great work on this! Thank you.

Reactions: Tawnos

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I was inside & you couldn't hear yourself talk. Sadly you could hear a pin drop less than a minute later when the Canucks took the lead again.

Same here in Vegas....and the beer selection really sucks.

If they won that game, I think we would still be partying and screaming our heads off. The fact they won un typical Rangers fashion, I suppose made all of us have sit in disbelief for 4-5 hours after game 7 happened.

We were drinking in a Chinese restaurant across the street from the Garden. We thought it was an earth quake at first. It must have been amazing to be inside.

It's one of the big regrets of 1994. We used to win the playoff ticket lottery every year and have the ability to buy 2-4 tickets for every round of the playoffs without being a season ticket holder. We had been doing this for the past 6-8 years. However in 1994 they only allowed us to buy tickets to the first 2 rounds. lol Wonderful. At least we got to see the Islanders and Capitals get waxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad