Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This organization has assets to spare. It’s clear there will need to be moved made of quantity for quality in the next couple of years. This is on top of the fact that there are some guys here, like Strome and Buch, who may not be long term staples.

If Gorton is considering that type of deal, Eichel would be near the top of that list for me. Very young. One of the top centers in the world. He’d be a great compliment to Zibanejad as a 1-2 punch.

Also as scary as it is for other teams, this organization has a ton of cap space coming in the next year or two even without the cap moving, and that’s with paying guys like Buch and Strome who I’m not sure would need to be retained if someone like Eichel was brought in.

They’re one of the few teams on the cusp of contending that has a glut of young talent both in the NHL and on the way and cap space both this offseason and next based on moves that could be made.

If Eichel is upset in Buffalo, you better believe that teams like Detroit and Ottawa with all of their cap space aren’t going to be looking to add him. He’d be disgruntled there too. Maybe I’ve got Rose colored glasses on but I really don’t see another landing spot that checks all of the boxes necessary:
Contender or clearly moving into contender status
Cap space
Young cheap assets to return
Organization with solid leadership

Teams who maybe would have cap space and some pieces to shuffle
NYR
Calgary
???????

So many teams wouldn’t be able to both send the required payment and fit the contract while being desirable for a player who has already shown to not be content wasting his time in a bad environment.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This organization has assets to spare. It’s clear there will need to be moved made of quantity for quality in the next couple of years. This is on top of the fact that there are some guys here, like Strome and Buch, who may not be long term staples.

If Gorton is considering that type of deal, Eichel would be near the top of that list for me. Very young. One of the top centers in the world. He’d be a great compliment to Zibanejad as a 1-2 punch.

Also as scary as it is for other teams, this organization has a ton of cap space coming in the next year or two even without the cap moving, and that’s with paying guys like Buch and Strome who I’m not sure would need to be retained if someone like Eichel was brought in.

They’re one of the few teams on the cusp of contending that has a glut of young talent both in the NHL and on the way and cap space both this offseason and next based on moves that could be made.

If Eichel is upset in Buffalo, you better believe that teams like Detroit and Ottawa with all of their cap space aren’t going to be looking to add him. He’d be disgruntled there too. Maybe I’ve got Rose colored glasses on but I really don’t see another landing spot that checks all of the boxes necessary:
Contender or clearly moving into contender status
Cap space
Young cheap assets to return
Organization with solid leadership

Teams who maybe would have cap space and some pieces to shuffle
NYR
Calgary
???????

So many teams wouldn’t be able to both send the required payment and fit the contract while being desirable for a player who has already shown to not be content wasting his time in a bad environment.

Too late, the guy with the Francesca avatar said it wasn't gonna happen. To hell with your logic.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Here's what I'll say about the Buffalo & Eichel situation. Been on the record on these boards about some of these items previously (summarized below). Some the guys on here know about it as well. Won't go into full details, but as I've mentioned before, I would be surprised if Eichel didn't orchestrate a move out of Buffalo. Matter of when and not if imo.
  • Eichel has been a very influential force in some of the moves Buffalo has made.
  • Buffalo, imo is the worst run organization in Hockey. Has been for a while, and there is no quick easy fix. The structural flaws have been there for a long time, and it will take significant change and time to right the ship.
  • Ralph Kruger, imo is an outstanding executive, and hockey coach. Eichel respects him, but I don't think a coach is enough to keep Eichel around.

Jack Eichel is a special talent. Game-breaker period. He's a guy who can help the Rangers have an open window for as long as he's here. Getting an in-prime, real deal center, and top 15 forward in the NHL would be an over the top move for the Rangers.

That being said, unless it's one of those, trade me only to NYC situations we've seen with Nash and MSL, a Jack Eichel deal is going to be very cost prohibitive, and the Rangers do not have the depth to make a trade like this work and not need time to fill in the rest of their line-up.

Good news is that they have a $8.5M, $5.7M & a $4.3M cap hit coming off the books soon. When you a "building" team with a bunch of ELC assets, it means you have space to add another star player.

As far as cost. You know, if it it's a bidding war, it might cost Kakko. If Jack insists on coming to the NYR, you have some latitude. If you have two elite centers, you can truly contend for a while. The price might be worth it.

I think Buffalo would benefit by filling out an NHL roster. Not just by getting prospects and picks alone.

I'd disagree that they lack the depth to make that kind of trade. Added to Zibandejad, Panarin, and Kreider up front, Eichel adds some pretty remarkable flexibility to the lineup. Shades of the 16/17 Penguins where they were able to totally overload opposing teams by rolling out Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel on 3 different lines.

You wouldn't lose all of Kakko, Buchnevich, Chytil, and Strome in the trade. So it stands to reason you could slot at least two of them into the remaining top-9 spots. Kreider/Zib, Eichel with Kakko or Buch, and Panarin with Strome or Chytil. With those lines, the third guy on each is almost irrelevant. I'd even go as far as to say some of the Rangers internal options could be very good fits in those gaps as well. At least on paper. Gauthier, Kravtsov, Barron, Howden, Lemieux, etc. All intriguing players who can potentially be good complimentary forwards.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
@Miamipuck is a prodigy. Went to uni at age 7.

I was a prodigy at two things, being an asshole (a fun one) and 2) finding the asshole on the other team when I play hockey. Other than that I did have a f***ing great time the last 50 years.

Holy smokes am I good at finding the other asshole, I have to say that's my superhero ability. Trust me I would rather X-ray vision.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Acquiring Eichel would be great but I'd imagine cost prohibitive. Chytil, DeAngelo, Buch and the lower of our 1st's this year was my initial thoughts

I don't see how Zibanejad isn't part of the deal, and he'd probably nix it with his NMC. It'd be a bad look but I wouldn't be opposed to Gorton trying to slide that Kreider deal to them

Can't imagine they'd be very interested in Strome

An O'Reilly type return would be great.

Chytil
Strome
Buchnevich
2021 first
2022 cond second (turns into a first if we make the Cup final in 2021 or 2022)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Eh you know the whole thing is a big eye roll. But, you spend years acting like the absolute scum of the earth on Twitter, and people that give a shit about what goes on there will eventually do things like call your mom. It is what it is. Don't act like a shitbag, people won't call your mom. :laugh:

"Hello, this is Adam from America. I want to talk to you about your son's behaviour on Twitter" :laugh:

If someone tracks down my dad, can they ask him to give me call? I haven't heard from him in ages haha

Reactions: egelband

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Buchnevich and Howden for their NHL roster
Kravstov as a top scoring prospect
One of Lundkvist/Miller (their choice) as a blue chip D prospect
Their choice of Georgiev or our next 1st

for Eichel

Rangers would let Strome walk (or trade if already signed)

Not saying that that gets it done, but it definitely is a full package that has all the pieces a team needing a full rebuild would want and be able to justify trading their star player

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
An O'Reilly type return would be great.

Chytil
Strome
Buchnevich
2021 first
2022 cond second (turns into a first if we make the Cup final in 2021 or 2022)

Eichel coming would need to have a player with a contract going in return.
Trouba by July or check Kreider's NMC list of teams.
Adding Eichel's contract regardless of what comes off the books next year will hurt when its time to resign Zib, Fox and Kakko.
Something like Trouba or Kreider and Chytil, Strome and a 2020 1st

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Buchnevich and Howden for their NHL roster
Kravstov as a top scoring prospect
One of Lundkvist/Miller (their choice) as a blue chip D prospect
Their choice of Georgiev or our next 1st

for Eichel

Rangers would let Strome walk (or trade if already signed)

Not saying that that gets it done, but it definitely is a full package that has all the pieces a team needing a full rebuild would want and be able to justify trading their star player

So about that salary cap and resigning other players in a couple of seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad