Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Meanwhile, put yourself in the Stars shoes:

Would you trade a first rounder for a third rounder and Zucc?
I probably wouldn't. But shifting my preferences on to teams about conditions based on re-signing hasn't worked in the past with Kane, Callahan, Cloutier etc.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There are more reasons for Dallas to sign Zucc than there are to let him walk. I think term will be the sticking point, not the loss of a first round pick. Dallas wants to win and a first rounder this year might not help them for years. With their record recently in the first round, it might not help them at all.

Reactions: Avery16

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Shattenkirk is on a steep decline but he is still our best defenseman, as sad as that is

There are more reasons for Dallas to sign Zucc than there are to let him walk. I think term will be the sticking point, not the loss of a first round pick. Dallas wants to win and a first rounder this year might not help them for years. With their record recently in the first round, it might not help them at all.
it's funny because I'd argue Dallas are, on draft day, pretty good drafters. they just happen to have a lot of busts.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
it's funny because I'd argue Dallas are, on draft day, pretty good drafters. they just happen to have a lot of busts.

They're quite good outside of the first round. To your point, they don't go off the board a whole lot in the first; they just happen to end up with the highly rated guys who fall short of expectations. Nichuskin, Campbell, Honka, Oleksiak, etc.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
They're quite good outside of the first round. To your point, they don't go off the board a whole lot in the first; they just happen to end up with the highly rated guys who fall short of expectations. Nichuskin, Campbell, Honka, Oleksiak, etc.

ugh that list

they have had their share of swings and misses

Reactions: Trxjw

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

I was wondering about this after they lost last night. Is the re-signing condition specifically a 2020 first rounder? Like, since they didn't lose their first this year, could they give THIS year's first rounder to fulfill the re-signing clause? (I hope not, as I'd want the 2020, but if they CAN pay that condition with the 2019, it would seem like an easier decision for them, as their 2019 pick isn't all that high to begin with). Any "contract-minded" folks know how specific those conditions are re: year?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Shattenkirk is on a steep decline but he is still our best defenseman, as sad as that is

Staal is and then Skjei or DeAngelo... mind you, he's a bottom-pairing D. And DeAngelo post-deadline is too small a sample size. Shattenkirk was like Pionk without promise.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I was wondering about this after they lost last night. Is the re-signing condition specifically a 2020 first rounder? Like, since they didn't lose their first this year, could they give THIS year's first rounder to fulfill the re-signing clause? (I hope not, as I'd want the 2020, but if they CAN pay that condition with the 2019, it would seem like an easier decision for them, as their 2019 pick isn't all that high to begin with). Any "contract-minded" folks know how specific those conditions are re: year?

I believe it's specifically a 2020 3rd that becomes a 2020 first if he's re-signed. Contractually they couldn't agree to this year's first under that condition because they could sign Zucc after they made the pick, thus violating the deal.

Now there could be a clause that says the Rangers can elect for the first rounder this year if Dallas signs Zucc prior to the draft, but that would be a very important note and nobody reported anything of the sort. Plus it seems like more of a headache for everyone involved than it's worth.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

No option.

2nd this year would become a 1st if they made the WCF and Zucc met the games played condition
3rd next year becomes a 1st if he is extended in Dallas

Reactions: smoneil

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Absolutely ZERO reason to buyout Shattenkirk. Trade him? Sure, it'd be great to unload his salary, but I would EASILY buy out/trade Staal or Smith before I do anything with Shattenkirk. And Shattenkirk is better than Pionk right now. Pionk is younger and I suppose has room for growth and improvement, but Shattenkirk is the better player right now. No doubt about that.

Actually, I wonder if it'd be enough if we attached one of those late second rounders we have with Staal or Smith just to unload a contract. Then we can buyout the other.

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Hajek-Fox
Lindgren-DeAngelo
Claesson-Pionk

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I know the ship has sailed, but can y'all just stop and think about where we'd be right now if we'd been able to woo both Kerfoot and Butcher?? The rebuild would've been mostly over after this draft.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Watching the last few games of DAL/STL was giving me flashbacks to the 2014 SC Finals against the Kings. STL used its size just like the Kings did to us to wear down and batter the Stars. Which makes me pray we get to draft Kakko. And I really hope we continue down the path of building a heavy team with speed. The Blues really don't have a ton of secondary scoring. They don't have a star offensive D like Doughty, Karlsson, Burns, etc. Not only made did their size make it a series but it won them the series.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Almost 50% of the Smith buyout charge would come in year two. The Rangers can sure use the $3MM + this year in a number of ways. The year two cost is about what the Rangers would pay if they stuffed him in Hartford. Half the team will be on ELCs in 2021-22. Aside from the fact that the player doesn’t have a role on the Rangers going forward, there’s just no reason not to buy him out. The Rangers can use the money this summer.

I think the Rangers will pursue Panarin (and no other big name UFAs) and a trade for a top four defenseman (maybe Trouba, maybe not) Beyond that, I expect some changes around the edges using that financial clout. I also expect they have asked Staal about the possibility of accepting a trade (he will listen but no sure thing here) and will look to shop several of the non core players on the current roster.

Reactions: NYR Viper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad