Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Trouba is over-hyped on here.

Yes and no. I mean, there aren't a whole lot of RD that put up 50 points last year so he's definitely a guy that you'd like on your team and that position, in particular, always seems to be in high demand.

Remember, we bought out Danny G and TB was happy to immediately sign him.

The trepidation, on my part anyway, is what he'll cost you in terms of trade and what kind of ludicrous contract he wants. Personally, I'd pass.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Trouba is over-hyped on here.

He may very well be, but he’s also a known target in the past, it’s well-known the Rangers like he’s m, and two of our insiders have stated the Rangers are likely to pursue him this off-season. You can debate the merits of that approach, but there is sufficient reason for discussion.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I really don't see the Rangers adding a contract like Callahan's. I think they are looking to shed a few of their own if there's any possibilities out there and retaining money on guys like Staal & Smith.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What are the potential landing spots for Kreider (Places he would go to and sign.)

Colorado, Arizona (Step connection), Dallas, maybe Carolina? Toronto? MTL?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Guys, are there any talks about some of the UFAs (Zucc and Hayes) coming back to the NYR after this season? Or has the ship sailed?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He may very well be, but he’s also a known target in the past, it’s well-known the Rangers like he’s m, and two of our insiders have stated the Rangers are likely to pursue him this off-season. You can debate the merits of that approach, but there is sufficient reason for discussion.

What are the Rangers trading for Trouba? It's one thing to say the Rangers are interested in him and another thing to say the Rangers are actually giving up the assets to acquire Trouba and the Rangers have to pay him long-term which is assuming Trouba wants to forego pursuing group III next summer and picking his spot. TB was linked to Trouba in the past. Yzerman is now in Detroit. Trouba is from Michigan.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
What are the potential landing spots for Kreider (Places he would go to and sign.)

Colorado, Arizona (Step connection), Dallas, maybe Carolina? Toronto? MTL?

Now they Dallas has there pick Kreider for that pick may make some sense as they could use a top 6 guy plus he can play w Zuc again if he’s resigned

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have one more $3,611,111 cap hit on their books from Girardi's buyout. It drops to $1,111,111 per for the last 3 years. That Brooks article is mind numbing. The Rangers making all of these moves to acquire a top 6 forward and a top right D. Retaining money. Buying out players. Signing big contracts to players in their late 20's until their mid 30's comes back to bite the Rangers. I know this isn't very popular especially when you want to have something to write but the Rangers are better off doing nothing.

The Rangers signed Shattenkirk and Smith to 4 year contracts less than 2 years ago and now the Rangers are looking to get rid of them. That's Gorton's lesson right there.

Kreider at $37M-$42M over 6 years. When do the Rangers look to get out of that contract? After the 1st or 2nd year?

Buying out Shattenkirk

upload_2019-5-8_8-45-13.png

Buying out Smith

upload_2019-5-8_8-46-23.png

The combined cap hit for the buyouts in 20-21 is $9,229,166. Add Girardi. $10,340,277.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I like Trouba, on his current cap hit without trading anything for him.

Trading good stuff for him and then paying way more to keep him is not appealing to me.

Similarly Kreider, trying to find a team he will sign with who will both trade good stuff for him and then pay him more to keep him, it's probably not going to be very appealing to them.

I think both players probably end up testing the UFA market, unless of course some team offers them open market UFA money, term and clauses before hand. I don't think either player ends up being worth their next contract. A team paying stuff in trade just to sign that next contract, I'm hoping that is not the Rangers.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
The Rangers have one more $3,611,111 cap hit on their books from Girardi's buyout. It drops to $1,111,111 per for the last 3 years. That Brooks article is mind numbing. The Rangers making all of these moves to acquire a top 6 forward and a top right D. Retaining money. Buying out players. Signing big contracts to players in their late 20's until their mid 30's comes back to bite the Rangers. I know this isn't very popular especially when you want to have something to write but the Rangers are better off doing nothing.

The Rangers signed Shattenkirk and Smith to 4 year contracts less than 2 years ago and now the Rangers are looking to get rid of them. That's Gorton's lesson right there.

Kreider at $37M-$42M over 6 years. When do the Rangers look to get out of that contract? After the 1st or 2nd year?

Buying out Shattenkirk

View attachment 225571

Buying out Smith

View attachment 225575

The combined cap hit for the buyouts in 20-21 is $9,229,166. Add Girardi. $10,340,277.
We need to be patient and let these stop gap contracts run their course if we can’t trade them. If we stink one more year it’s fine. The prize for that patience is another top 8 pick in the 2020 draft! Which would be nice to add to our group of prospects!

Reactions: Riche16

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Buying out Shattenkirk

View attachment 225571

Buying out Smith

View attachment 225575

This.

Trade Kreider at the draft or offseason. No Panarin. No EK. No trade for Trouba.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Just an announcement:

I may continue to post on here this month, but I am now primarily a Blues fan for the rest of the season.

Reactions: TheTakedown

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
If Dallas resigns Zucc, i trade Kreider and Pionk for a 2020 1st + small addition and call it a day. Move All of Names and Vesey and Fast and replace them with Kravtsov, 1 UFA signing and leave 1 spot open for someone like Gettinger/Meskanen. Replace Kreider with Panarin. Buyout Smith.
Panarin Zib Buch
Kravtsov Chytil Kakko
Lemieux Lias Howden
Strome Boo Gettinger/Meskanen

Skjei Shattenkirk
Hajek Fox
Staal DeAngelo
Claesson

Hank
Shesty

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
That and no buyouts, is what I'd like to see them do.
I agree. Avoid buyouts if at all possible. Worst case scenario, we're stuck with the Three Pyloneers (Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk) for two more years. We're not going to be a cap team, so what does it matter? We can carry 8D and banish Staal and Shattenkirk to the press box, if necessary. Smith can be buried in Hartford.

I'm not against 50% retention on any of them, if we can find a landing spot, but I don't want to deal with buyout cap hits in 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad