Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yep! Great excitement......now these kids need to develop so it's gonna be an interesting ride

so those saying Vesey or Names can't stay I disagree cause still alot of kids need to earn spots. They come to camp unless Gorton comes up with a good trade which is possible.

I mean if they can do Vesey, Shatty 50%.....plus? for a RD like Trouba then great

Upfront assuming all the kids are ready

Kreider, Zibanajed, Kakko
Kravtsov, Strome, Buchnevich
Chytil, Howden, Lemieux
Names/Vesey, Andersson, Fast
Nieves

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
Haven't read the thread in a while, so this may have already been talked about. But how do you see the defense working out over the next couple years? We have such a crazy amount of defensive prospects. We have 12 spots between NHL and AHL. Assuming you dont want our better prospects playing the bottom pair in the AHL and reserve that to career AHLers, we have 10 spots. I have no idea how they are going to work out this issue.

2020 signed players
RD
Shattenkirk
DeAngelo
Pionk
Foxx
Keene
Bigras(I think he was playing RD despite being lefty)

LD
Staal
Skjei
Smith
Claesson
Hajek
Lindgren
Day

I personally would rather see the Rangers not buy anyone out this year. We are 2 years away from being free and clear of Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk, Lundqvist. Also the expensive portion of the Girardi buyout. I mean, if the plan is to not be at the top of the cap over the next 4 years, it would make sense to buy some out this year. Maybe buyouts will be dependent on Panarin signing. Assuming no trades or buyouts, I think the Rangers go with 8 D and rotate like last season. So Shattenkirk, DeAngelo, Pionk, Foxx and Keene/Bigras to the AHL.

The left side is harder. Claesson isnt a bad option as the 7th. Staal, Skjei, Hajek? Smith stays on as a 4th line winger? That would leave Lindgren and Day, as the top 2 in the AHL. I dont think this is horrible... but Lindgren seems NHL ready to me. I am a bit surprised to read that they want to bring Rykov over. It doesnt sound like he wants to play in the AHL, and I dont see a spot.

Now 2021 looks nuts, you have the potential additions of...
Miller
Lundkvist
Rykov
Reunanen

Lundqvist and Reunanen would likely start in the AHL, potentially Miller as well. But Rykov and Lindgren should be expected to play. I think I would expect Staal to be bought out. Smith either bought out or traded at 50%. Shattenkirk traded at 50%. Could potentially have...

Skjei - Deangelo
Hajek - Foxx
Lindgren - Pionk
Rykov

AHL
Miller - Lundkvist
Reunnanen - Keene
Day - Bigras (If they are both considered busts)

I just dont see a scenario where the Rangers can have Shattenkirk and Staal, on the roster next year. Even if both are gone along with Smith, you are still in a scenario where Rykov is playing 7th. If Any of Miller, Lundqvist, Reunnan, Keene, Day, or Bigras are NHL ready, you have bigger issue. I think the Rangers are going to be forced into packaging some of these defenseman for picks or forward prospects.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
While it is not always fair, not having to pass through waivers will probably make some of those choices to start the year. I assume they will clean house quite a bit by next years trade deadline and those who are ready to move up will at that point.

If they can find the right opportunities to do so sooner, I think they'll do it, yet I'm not so sure they will be able to.

In a way it could actually be a good thing, if the AHL has a successful season and that is partly because they kept some talent down due to overcrowding at the NHL level, maybe that helps turn the tide there.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I think we should be in a different situation next year compared to the past 2 seasons. If you're not part of the team going forward, your playing time should be reduced or eliminated. We have prospects coming in to replace the bums we have had to use the past season and a half.

Staal: should start being phased out. Get Lindgren more playing time.

Smith: get out. He's not better than anyone on defense and we don't need a 4th line plug making $4m taking time from younger players. If you want to keep him around as an 8th guy in case of injuries since you probably can't move him, then fine, but he should get limited to no playing time unless there are injuries.

Vesey: Do we want to pay this guy going forward? He doesn't so anything well. No thanks. Trade him for what you can get. He would be overpaid for a 4th liner, too.

Names: Another guy making too much money for a bottom six role. Trade for what you can get. He would be fine on the 4th line if he got paid half as much.

Fast: is useful on the 4th line, but none of this top 6 nonsense.

Nieves: Can get a shot on the 4th line until someone better comes along.

Brickley: I liked the effort, but get out.

Vinny L: I don't think he can cut it in the NHL. Later.

I'm not sure if I've forgotten anyone. Btw, I hate seeing people look at young players as if this is all they would ever be. "Lias is a bust". For godsakes, he's only 20. Give him some time. "ADA can't defend well enough to play top minutes". The guy played basically his first season. Give these guys a chance to develop. Same thing for the new guys that come in. It's going to take some time.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Highly doubt he does - if this were a different draft, maybe. Not a lot of D in the top 15.
Soderstrom, York and Broberg should be picked between 9-16, imo. Although I like and prefer some of the forward options that'll drop in that range, I wouldn't hate any of those guys.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think we should be in a different situation next year compared to the past 2 seasons. If you're not part of the team going forward, your playing time should be reduced or eliminated. We have prospects coming in to replace the bums we have had to use the past season and a half.

Staal: should start being phased out. Get Lindgren more playing time.

Smith: get out. He's not better than anyone on defense and we don't need a 4th line plug making $4m taking time from younger players. If you want to keep him around as an 8th guy in case of injuries since you probably can't move him, then fine, but he should get limited to no playing time unless there are injuries.

Vesey: Do we want to pay this guy going forward? He doesn't so anything well. No thanks. Trade him for what you can get. He would be overpaid for a 4th liner, too.

Names: Another guy making too much money for a bottom six role. Trade for what you can get. He would be fine on the 4th line if he got paid half as much.

Fast: is useful on the 4th line, but none of this top 6 nonsense.

Nieves: Can get a shot on the 4th line until someone better comes along.

Brickley: I liked the effort, but get out.

Vinny L: I don't think he can cut it in the NHL. Later.

I'm not sure if I've forgotten anyone. Btw, I hate seeing people look at young players as if this is all they would ever be. "Lias is a bust". For godsakes, he's only 20. Give him some time. "ADA can't defend well enough to play top minutes". The guy played basically his first season. Give these guys a chance to develop. Same thing for the new guys that come in. It's going to take some time.

Pionk.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In the ideal world next season, the Rangers play as many young players as possible but they have another tough season. They had the fewest ROW’s in the NHL in 2018-19. The young players gain experience and go through growing pains. No matter how talented the players may be, the NHL is a tough league. It’s a long season.

The Rangers gain another lottery pick in 2020. Their young players all gain another season of development time.

The lottery balls fall their way again.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Did someone really mention trading Shattenkirk and Vesey for Trouba? That's like trading two used tires for a new Mercedes... not going to happen, and I think Trouba is overrated.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not only do I dislike Malkin on a personal level, but he almost never plays a full season. He's got the same kinds of games played patterns as Eric Lindros.

I'm sure he'll continue to be a good player for a long time, maybe even until has late 30's, but the guy is going to be 33 to start next season and I can't see NYR dealing assets for him. I don't think Gorton would pull a slats and insult the Pens with a Rozsival+Zherdev for Heatley type offer.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I can see how Malkin might want to come to the Rangers...

But trading for him would make absolutely ZERO sense from the Rangers POV. I mean, seriously, say you acquire him – what does your roster look like after that? Are you a competitor for the cup? Will you be the year after, when he turns 34? How about the year after, when he turns 35? Especially when you factor in what you'd have to give up to get him?

Unless the Pens are willing to move him for spare parts (and arguably, even then) it makes no sense at all.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not only do I dislike Malkin on a personal level, but he almost never plays a full season. He's got the same kinds of games played patterns as Eric Lindros.

I'm sure he'll continue to be a good player for a long time, maybe even until has late 30's, but the guy is going to be 33 to start next season and I can't see NYR dealing assets for him. I don't think Gorton would pull a slats and insult the Pens with a Rozsival+Zherdev for Heatley type offer.
I'm prepared to offer Pionk and Strome.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This team wont be a bottom 5 team next year. I dont see Gorton not putting together a competitive team, however he decides to do it. Then add in DQ. Just dont see this team at the bottom again. Maybe 11-13 from the bottom. But not bottom 5.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I feel like we should keep most of the tweeners for now especially if we have decided that next year is also a lost year; which it probably should be.

I'd look to trade guys like Strome & Pionk but not much more.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In the ideal world next season, the Rangers play as many young players as possible but they have another tough season. They had the fewest ROW’s in the NHL in 2018-19. The young players gain experience and go through growing pains. No matter how talented the players may be, the NHL is a tough league. It’s a long season.

The Rangers gain another lottery pick in 2020. Their young players all gain another season of development time.

The lottery balls fall their way again.

This is the likeliest scenario even if Gorton goes after one high profile UFAs ( or one net UFA if another vet Kreider is moved).

I just hope noone gets bent out of shape if the kids' performance somehow exceed this progression timeline which is while not probable - it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad