Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Yup no buyouts.

Callahan has 1 year remaining. We have cap room. Eat his salary and get an asset in return. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

If it were me, and possible, I'd try to use Kreider and the ability to take back a cap dump in the same deal. Hopefully that adds enough value in total for the Rangers to either move up earlier than the Jets pick, or just plain get another good pick (at least earlier than the Tampa pick) in this draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: darko

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
What are the Rangers trading for Trouba? It's one thing to say the Rangers are interested in him and another thing to say the Rangers are actually giving up the assets to acquire Trouba and the Rangers have to pay him long-term which is assuming Trouba wants to forego pursuing group III next summer and picking his spot. TB was linked to Trouba in the past. Yzerman is now in Detroit. Trouba is from Michigan.

Skjei and Andersson

Reactions: kovazub94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If Dallas resigns Zucc, i trade Kreider and Pionk for a 2020 1st + small addition and call it a day. Move All of Names and Vesey and Fast and replace them with Kravtsov, 1 UFA signing and leave 1 spot open for someone like Gettinger/Meskanen. Replace Kreider with Panarin. Buyout Smith.
Panarin Zib Buch
Kravtsov Chytil Kakko
Lemieux Lias Howden
Strome Boo Gettinger/Meskanen

Skjei Shattenkirk
Hajek Fox
Staal DeAngelo
Claesson

Hank
Shesty
You had me... until Shattenkirk

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I agree. Avoid buyouts if at all possible. Worst case scenario, we're stuck with the Three Pyloneers (Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk) for two more years. We're not going to be a cap team, so what does it matter? We can carry 8D and banish Staal and Shattenkirk to the press box, if necessary. Smith can be buried in Hartford.

I'm not against 50% retention on any of them, if we can find a landing spot, but I don't want to deal with buyout cap hits in 4 years.

Ideally those 3 would be moved earlier to make some room. Yet I'm not sure even with retention anything gets done, especially since all have clauses of some sort.

Hopefully as the term and money owed is reduced the easier it becomes to move them and they see the writing on the wall and waive any clauses.

I don't think it would hurt the younger on the cusp D prospects to be in the AHL for a while longer. The AHL needs to be better anyway. If they are going to try to improve the environment there perhaps having a stronger roster is one of the ways.

Reactions: What Door

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Poetic, if Seguin gets hurt, leading to 2020DAL1 becoming a lottery pick....

It’s a fragile team. Front heavy. An injury or two and guys like Heiskanen feeling pressure or stuff like that, goalie issues — all teams can have ups and downs. The real tests comes if you have had luck and starts a season with a couple of downs after each other. It don’t take long before everyone starts to feel pressure, did we trade a lottery pick for Zucc? Was a lot of negative buzz about that ‘darn’ pick around Ottawa.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here's an idea.

Namestnikov @ 50% cap hit for Callahan + TB 1st

Yeah it’s a no brainer. Getting a 1st round pick and shedding a little cap back the other way. But also think Cally can be as effective if not more than Vladdy if given that 3rd line type role and he brings that leadership.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Names could be a valuable translator and presence for the young Ruskies

I really like Names. Just not $4M like him. If he could be extended with a 3-4% cap hit, I'd look into it

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Dallas resigns Zucc, i trade Kreider and Pionk for a 2020 1st + small addition and call it a day. Move All of Names and Vesey and Fast and replace them with Kravtsov, 1 UFA signing and leave 1 spot open for someone like Gettinger/Meskanen. Replace Kreider with Panarin. Buyout Smith.
Panarin Zib Buch
Kravtsov Chytil Kakko
Lemieux Lias Howden
Strome Boo Gettinger/Meskanen

Skjei Shattenkirk
Hajek Fox
Staal DeAngelo
Claesson

Hank
Shesty

I will keep on saying it because it needs to be said.

If you're getting Panarin, playing him with Zibanejad at ES is the dumbest thing you can do. Loading up one line is not how you're going to win games.

Kakko with Zib, Panarin with Kravstov.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

If you're getting Panarin, playing him with Zibanejad at ES is the dumbest thing you can do. Loading up one line is not how you're going to win games.

To quote a wise man...

No.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Good thing Quinn won’t be presented with that dilemma.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Good thing Quinn won’t be presented with that dilemma.

:sarcasm:
He better not!

giphy.gif

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

I agree with this. I would not play the two of them together. You keep them separate in normal circumstances and when you're down in a game and need a goal you put them together and give that group extra ice time.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/john-...-lock-so-let-the-artemi-panarin-frenzy-begin/

New Larry Article

-JD has out clause to join the Rangers, expect it soon
-Rangers will be in on Panarin but how much?
-Rangers will have to trade Kreider with an extension in order to maximize return.
-Estimates it cost $12 million to keep RFAs which would leave $10 million left over
-If Dallas wins tonight it will allow Rangers to be even more aggressive in getting into the top 10.

Also has some notes about Smith / Shattenkirk buyouts if they can't trade these guys... I see no reason to buy either guy out. Stuff Smith in Hartford and trade Shatts at 50%... Unless they are that bent on getting Panarin and need the cap space available right now--something I am not opposed to

Reactions: Berserk

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I’m going to speculate that Trouba is the RHD target.

100% is... Just depends on what it's going to cost.

Also possible that the Rangers are looking at Buyouts to open up cap space so they can take a cap dump while taking Trouba

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lavoie would be a nice pickup for us with Winnipegs pick. Can play center or wing. Been watching him a lot this year and he has continued to get better all year.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
100% is... Just depends on what it's going to cost.

Also possible that the Rangers are looking at Buyouts to open up cap space so they can take a cap dump while taking Trouba

I believe we only have one buyout spot left if I heard correctly.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Also has some notes about Smith / Shattenkirk buyouts if they can't trade these guys... I see no reason to buy either guy out. Stuff Smith in Hartford and trade Shatts at 50%... Unless they are that bent on getting Panarin and need the cap space available right now--something I am not opposed to

I dont think its smart to be buying anyone out, our window doesnt open until most of those contracts are gone anyway.

Reactions: Cag29

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I believe we only have one buyout spot left if I heard correctly.

No such thing as a buyout spot.... you can have as many of those on the books as you want.

As for salary retention, Zucc's contract is up this season so that falls off, leaving only Ryan Spooner on the salary retained transaction list for $900k this coming season (2019-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad